3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: aluminum arrows  (Read 132 times)

Offline JNewman

• Trad Bowhunter
aluminum arrows
« on: July 19, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
Hey ther trad gang members

I got a bunch of 2413 arrows when i traded my bow and they are flying great.  I've seen some video and photo's of alluminum arrows with the point end tapered. Is there some equipment or machine to do this or has it gone the way of the dodo.  I love the idea of glueing the broadhead or blunt directly onto the shaft.  If anyone out there can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Jesse

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: aluminum arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
You need to find some place that does swaging,but that is a large diameter thin walled aluminum shaft.Not sure if anyone still does that,just not enough money in it for them.Or not even they swaged shafts that large of a diameter.Every thing these days seem to focus more on carbon arrows.Thats a stiff arrow,what poundage bow are you shooting them out of.How do they fly bare without feathers?

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
Swaging was done basically to lighten the arrow by eliminating the glue in insert and broadhead adapter.  The trend now is to heavy arrows and more weight out front. So not too likely that much swaging is going on.  I haven't seen any in a long time.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
Even in the 70s I don't remember point swaged arrows, just nock swaged.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
I know Lamont, from the Footed Shaft in Rochester MN does swaging. Not sure if a 2413 would be good to swage. That's a very thin walled shaft. By the way, Lamont is dealing with some medical problems and I'm not sure if he is in the shop on a daily basis.

Offline JNewman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
I'm shooting 50lbs on a trad teck titan.  When I run 225gr up front at 31'' they fly straight and true bare shafted.  Thats too bad about swagging not really being done.  It seems to me to be more structurally sound than an insert.  It is true about carbons now, it's even hard to find a good supplier of wood shafts up here in canada.  It's all about carbon and when you go into a pro shop and talk about alluminum you get some strange looks.

Thanks for the info
Jesse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©