3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Using a longbow in a stand  (Read 576 times)

Offline shaanar

• Trad Bowhunter
Using a longbow in a stand
« on: July 19, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
First, I am a long time lurker and this is my first post.  Have to say thanks for all of the info you all have already given a guy with no mentor to learn from.  MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Anyway, I currently shoot a 68" longbow and I am 6'4".  When I hunt from a treestand it is very hard to get to full draw unless the target is straight ahead of me.  Also, in a stand I am seated and I always practice standing up.  Do I need to quit hunting from the stand?  I would hate that because I feel I see a lot more game when elevated.  How can I practice and find ways to achieve full draw at more shot angles while remaining SAFELY in my stand?  

Thanks again so much for all of the tips!

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Using a longbow in a stand
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
Get a full body harness and practice shooting out of a stand standing up.  If you aren't comfortable standing, you should be able to shoot anything on your lefthand side to slightly to your right (assuming you are right handed) according to what kind of stand you have.  Why can you only get to full draw if the target is straight ahead?
Welcome to tradgang!  :wavey:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline shaanar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
I definitely am not comfortable standing up even with my harness.  There just isn't room.  You are correct in that I can get more on my left side, but I would like to get a full 180 degrees in front of me.  Is there a stand that is made to stand up in?  I use a ladder stand now.  Thanks again!

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
I'm 6'3" and have a difficult time getting to full draw straight ahead because either I'm hittin the tree behind me with my elbow or am held back by the tree strap on the harness while bending at the waist.
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
Lean out and/or cant the bow more.  

I can't (pun intended) say I've ever had much trouble shooting a longbow from a stand.  Where there's a will, there's a way.    :)
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »
Ok Andy...either you are a really big guy or you aren't real comfortable being off the ground.  If the latter, i suggest learning how to make some natural ground blinds in areas where you can see further (that's why i don't like groundblinds as a general rule).  For a non climbing stand that will give you lots of room and a sense of security, try the API outdoors deluxe magnum baby grand (what a mouthful)!  The ameristep rapid rails give you more room to climb than regular climbing sticks and that is what i would recommend to climb up with.  The baby grand will allow you more room to maneuver while sitting.  i have a couple and they might be just the ticket.  There are some guys here that use climbing stands for big folks that would work also if you like climbers (i don't). Maybe this will help a little. Good luck!     :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Wapiti4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
Take some time and PRACTICE shooting from your stand.  I found many years ago that early on the platform of the stand seems small.  by the time October is half over I'm thinking about making the platform smaller.  Practice as always is the key to comfort aloft.
Joe

Offline shaanar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
I think that might be the answer.  I can sling arrows all day long at the range but it is totally different from the stand.  Thanks!

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
Have you tried a shorter bow? I love my 56" "short" longbow for hunting out of a tree.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
I have a tree stand that is only 5' up to the platform I would stand on.  It is in my back yard and I practice shooting using my harness (seat o pants). It will build your confidence re the platform and what the harness will allow you to do.  All of my stands have flip up seats and with practice I have learned to stand and flip the seat up in one motion.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
I am the same height as you and I shoot a 64" bow out of my stand. I can understand you dilema. I tried to set my stand up so I would be able to shoot at 10 oclock and 2oclock. It hasnt ben that bad, but 10-12 oclock really is what is comfortable for me seeing how Im right handed.,
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
That is precisely why I use bows 60"(AMO) and less in length. I also like to hunt from pop-up blinds as well. Actually, I would prefer my bow to be 58" or less but I like it too much to not use it so I'll find a way, whatever the situation.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline shaanar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
My next bow will definitely be shorter.  How in the world am I supposed to pick one though?

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
I shoot a 62 inch and 64 inch bows out of a treestand.  With my stand setup there is only a couple windows I can shoot through so I set my stand up accordingly.  I also trimmed the limbs around me to give my bow enough room.  I do shoot a lot sitting down and just have to rotate ever so slightly, cant my bow, and get her done.  Like mentioned before where theres a will theres a way.  I like my longbows and doubt I will shoot anything shorter than 60 inches.

good luck

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
I'm only about 5'7" and just switched to a 62" longbow.  I was told to lay it over if need be.  I see my draw shortens slightly, but at the close ranges I'd be shooting (<10 yds) out of a tree, I'm fine.  Once the distance increases, it does get more comfortable to draw.  I always shoot standing out of a tree.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
Shanaar,
Lot's of good advice here from folks that share your disability (too tall -- I'm 5'6").  Being able to stand in the tree is pretty important. Without standing your mobility in the tree stand is much more limited than it needs to be. Of course they make large tree stands. My 6'2" son uses a buddy stand as his solo stand. He is a bit antsy when going up the first time or two.  Get those ants under control by trying the stand out, especially moving and standing before hunting from it. You should be tied in when getting in the stand, out of the stand and while in it.  A good harness system adjusted so you can feel it holding you when you are standing will do wonders. The key is to adjust it so you can feel it holding you. You can loosen it a bit as you get more comfortable. I really need to be able to turn 45 degrees right or left in my stand to access more shooting windows.  Some of us to hang 20-25' in Baker climbing stands in the 70's without safety straps, belts, etc. It was always a bit spooky that first few moments in the stand on opening day! I feel fortunate I survived those days.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
I like a lock on stand for bow hunting or a climber that the climbing aid is moved out of the way like you would be in a lock on  , that helps out alot so i dont have to worrie that my limbs going to hit anything . I shoot seated 95% of the time from the stand so I do alot of pratice sitting in a chair or drag out my 8 foot step ladder and pratice from that.
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
You need to lay that longbow down when shooting out of a stand, I cant the heck out of my " Hill when I shoot out of a treestand.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
Practice! Practice! Practice! You'll never learn to shoot from a elevated stand while doing all of your practice standing on the ground. I hunt from a 16ft.ladder stand without one of the sections. Makes for ease of handling and puts me at about 10 to 12ft up. I'm just more comfortable at 10 to 12 ft. Most of my shots are taken sitting down, cause I hunted in Texas for many years off tri-pods and learned to do it that way. Where I hunted, there were no trees, just tall bushes(mesquites). Tri-pods are a great way to learn to shoot sitting down. My favories are aluminum, about 7ft tall, and no longer made by Strong, Inc. I'm 6ft., 270 and hunt with Hill bows ranging from 64" to 68" in length without problems from elevated stands or from the ground. If you can't get comfortable shooting from stands, get a "Guille" suit and have at it. You'll enjoy it more and feel a lot more comfortable doing what you love to do, and in the end you'll spend far less money as well. I promise you, safe, comfortable stands for big guys are not cheap. Good luck, be safe, have fun, and enjoy God's gifts.   :banghead:

Offline term

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 07:21:00 AM »
Great thread,a lot of info. Thanks. TERM
Still looking for something I might of forgot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©