3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Using a longbow in a stand  (Read 577 times)

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Using a longbow in a stand
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
I had no problem with a API Aluma-Lock hang on stand years ago.There was nothing around you on the stand(no rails).And it had a small seat.I sold it because I couldn`t use it on gamelands or state forests because of the "T" screw I had to use in the tree.I got a Lone Wolf climber I use now(After a few other stands I didn`t care for).It`s pretty open all around you.(real nice stand).Practice holding the bow in differant angles.The one deer I shot,I held my longbow staight up and down(olympic style),and shot her about 7 yards from my tree.
Harold Wetzler

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
I shoot 64" and 66" longbows out of a tree without much problem.  I have even taken deer that would be at an 8 o'clock position.  You just have to get on the front edge of the stand and turn around. If your not comfortable doing this kind of motion, like was earlier mentioned, just practice in the yard.  Keep it lower, it just has to be on a tree, no set hight.  You could be 6" from the ground to get used to where you feet need to be and get comfortable with different positions.

Good Luck, and welcome.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
Oh come on!!! I shoot 68 and 66" longbows all day from my stands and I am all of 5'10". Stands in general should be carefully chosen no matter what kind, as they can have railings, bars, wierd things to get in the way and you need to avoid these stands. Buy simple and good ones. Practice from them. Get them in trees where you can move a little and bring a saw or pruner to make it work. If you need to remove a little limb cover, do it and then just zip tie the limb to your platform. practice!

Offline Cottonwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
As an ex cable installer, I can attest to being uncomfortable off the ground on poles and ladders at almost 22' up in the air.  

To help with the uncomforable part, wear you body harness, and work at a simplified elevated distance off the ground.  Lean out away from the tree, and practice drawing with your bow at full draw.  When comfortable, raise your distance, and practice again and again.  Then continue to practice raising your stand or platform to gain confidence in your equipment ie body harness in holding you.

I realize you have a ladder stand, but you may need a climber stand to work with to practice.

During pole climbing school, I actually freak out at just 9 feet off the ground free climbing the pole.  I looked like a monkey holding on for dear life that day.  But once I got comfortable with practice, I could free hand up 22' and belt off.

But I don't think I would be hunting with a longbow from a stand, and have recurves that will work just fine now.

Good luck in gaining confidence.
Member: Montana Bowhunters Association, Traditional Bowhunters of Montana

"I don't bowhunt for a living... but I live to bowhunt the traditional way!"

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by shaanar:
My next bow will definitely be shorter.  How in the world am I supposed to pick one though?
You dont, It picks you........atleast thats what they say   :knothead:      :confused:        :archer:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
Practice    Practice    but as you hunt .
    I used nothign during the 70s and 80s but my HH BIg Fives at 70ins. and 68ins. in tree stands and ground blinds I had no trouble .
  NOW  that doesn't mean I had every possible shot there is all the time . But I could take most of the shots in the shooting lanes I had from the stands . I had to practice my shots . I shoot regulary from kneeling, sitting and standing positions. Some of my shots the bow had to be canted almost completely horizontal,   but I practice that too .
   NOW that being said  I now shoot shorter bows  but not for any reasons of problems in tree stands .   MY newest bow ( Stewart) is sitll 62 inches and my other huting back up bow is 64 ins. ( draw length has shortened over the years)  I used to shoot  29.5 now im a hair over 26in .
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
Some guys use both parts of the climber to get to the desired height and then switch the seat part around the other side of the tree. Then they just stand for the rest of the hunt. That would give you tons of manueverability...if you can stay standing that long!

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
You are going to have to stand up and lean out. You need to make sure you are secured to the tree. I will help if the stand is open in the front. Like some one said practice in the yard from low hieghts. You have to bend at the waist.LCH

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Shaaner, you must have one of those ladder stands with the fixed seat and a foot platform that both ends of your boot hang off of.  Their only good point is the price and they still aren't worth it.  Find a stand: hang on, ladder or climber, with a decent size platform (min 20x27") and a seat that folds up or back so that you can back up against the tree.  Next is a good full body harness; don't go up without it.  Practice shooting from it both standing and sitting.  Remember to bend at the waist and keep your shoulders in line with and pointed at the target.

A longer bow will have more issues with interference, but the more you practice, you will be surprised by how easy it becomes.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
I shoot a 70" Hill and 64" Bob Lee recurve and have no problem from my favorite stand which is a Lone Wolf sit and climb.  I'm 6'2" and 280 lbs. and feel safest and most comfortable in this stand.  I also modified the bow holder in the platform to hold my bow right between my knees.  Comes in handy when rattling or reading etc..  Also agree with those that like the Seat of the Pants harness. I won't climb without it.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
The main problem I had with hunting from tree stands with bows over 60" is that I had to cut so many limbs out of my way that it made me stand out in the open more than I wanted to. Yes, I could go higher up in the tree so as to help prevent detection, but I don't like the shot angles when I get more than 15 feet or so high.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2010, 01:35:00 AM »
start zip ties to attach some foliage to the platform as you trim. quick and easy.

matt

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by Overspined:
start zip ties to attach some foliage to the platform as you trim. quick and easy.

matt
SMART

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
I am 6'3" and shoot a lb as well 66",I found that if I place my stand so the platform is parallel to the ambush point of my intended target,It gives me more room to come to full draw.And if I am 15-20yrds from the ambush site I can draw and shoot from the sitting position.I do practice  this in my backyard.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
I am 6-3 and I have found that I can comfortably shoot from a sitting position with more options- if I sit with my right side against the tree; kind of side saddle.

ALWAYS practice drawing your bow to see where you can and can't come to a complete draw ....
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©