3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A long time between drinks  (Read 966 times)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A long time between drinks
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
Top notch story telling. Keep it coming.

Offline GREATBROWNKNOCKEMDOWN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
I'm visualizing, i'm visualizing , I'm there!   this is good stuff!
Big River 1pcs longbows 60 47@26
Big River 2pcs longbow 62in 50@26
Big River Flatbow 60in 57@26
Dave Ricke Recurve 60in 47@26
WISCONSIN TRADITIONAL ARCHERS
Neosho Archers

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
great story. glad you are back...James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline memo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
They had to be here somewhere. The binos revealed a bunch of about five 'roos. Damn! I moved downhill in a bid to circle around them without spooking them. By now I was in the middle of the gully, and no sign of the deer. I reasoned that the sound must have travelled well in the morning air, and they must be in the next gully.
Slowly moving forward, two steps, stop, slowly raise binos, glass, move two steps....
More Kangaroos ahead, and this time I was busted. They couldn't quite make me out but were onto me. They tentativley moved on after a few minutes over to the next gully, right where I thought the deer were.
As I moved over the crest, I saw no deer or roos. Whether the deer were spooked or were gone before I got there, I don't know but after about an hour and a half of sneaking through the scrub I needed a break, mentally and physically.

I cut straight up the hill to the top to see if I could find the wild goats that live here. Once I got up to the plateau, I had a drink and some food and walked around the goats usual haunts listening and looking but without too much luck.
As I walked through some promising country, I noticed the flick of movement. Binos revealed a fox sleeping in the midday sun.

He lay there, an occasional twitch of his tail the only movement. 50 metres was too far for a shot, and I didn't think I could stalk him with all the dead eucalypt leaves on the ground, so I moved over to a bit of cover to break up my outline, and tried to call him in.
Well, he hopped up, looked at my direction and casually jumped off the rock and walked away.
Well that wasn't meant to happen. Ah well, thems the breaks.

It was getting on now, so I headed back to camp. Another search through the area where I thought the goats would be proved fruitless, so I kept walking in the direction of the hay shed.
I was probably two gullies further along than where I was earlier, whan as I came to the edge of the treeline. I froze. Dropped down and couldn't beleive it. I found the bachelor herd of Fallow bucks I was looking for......

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing  :thumbsup:  
 :coffee:    :coffee:  

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
Thats what I call a great hunt. Love the pictures. Thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup:

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
Cool pics! Thanks for sharing.

Offline Wal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  cool mate , good write up , what bow are you using ?

Cheers

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2010, 01:47:00 AM »
Very good stuff. Thanks for taking us along.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline memo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 06:00:00 AM »
With the bucks out in the open, there was no chance to get any closer than the 300m I was at, so I was content to just take some video and photos and the knowledge that I actually did hear them clash antlers and wasn't going crazy.
As I stood to walk out, they quickly jumped the fence with ridiculous ease and ran off to the cover of the eucalypt forest. I was happy with my rabbit, and my shooting form, but couldn't help but feel that it was meant to be my lucky day. Guess it wasn't meant to be.
I made it back to the hay shed and looked out in to paddocks and saw what I thought were cattle feeding. I put up the binos, and saw that they were the goats! Far out, I'd been all over the thickest and steepest parts of the property, and the buggers were out in the open feeding! The hill was a "J" shape and they were at the bottom tip of they "J" of you like and I was looking all over the straight part, they were around the corner, hidden from view.
They were feeding back to the treeline on the hills I threw the pack back on and took off in a big circle to come at them from above in the cover. No time to muck around, the suns' last rays were on the hilltop. I jogged the whole way to the treeline which was about 2km. Once I was there, I stripped off a jumper as I'd worked up a sweat running that far uphill, put on my faceveil and moved in.

They were in two groups, the closer one only had about a dozen in it, and the second one had about thirty. As I moved into the closer group, they were just that bit quicker than me, and made it above me and into the thick caprosma (which is like thornbush) and dissapeared. There was a good billy with them that would have gone close to the magic 40" benchmark, and because of this I thought of chasing them, but decided not to push them.
A qiuck scan of the other group showed a big dirty white shaggy billy, and a turn of his head showed him to be the one we had called "The Longhorn".
He was a real trophy animal, easily over 40 inches in spread and huge in the body. Could my luck turn? One way to find out, I pushed hard to gain elevation and just made it in front of them. They were feeding uphill, directly past where I was. There was no chance to shoot as it was too thick, so I backed off a few yards and moved uphill to a spot where I had two shooting lanes.
As they fed past, a couple had already gone past me. I knew the longhorn was up the front, but had he already moved through? I was starting to second guess myself, as I could see goats feeding uphill, but couldn't see their horns in the bushes. A brown and black billy that was about level with the big fella, came into view, so I stayed put and not ten seconds later he moved through the first lane.
Fingers on the string, he ambled into the second at ten yards.
Concentrating hard on his armpit, I chanted to myself "GET TO FULL DRAW, GET TO FULL DRAW"
Drew back, anchored and released.

The arrow hit him tight on his crease, a quater of the way up his barrel chest. He paused for two seconds, let out a bleat and spun and tore off downhill. He only ran ten yards and stood there. I took another shot and it went over his shoulders. Damn.
He moved to where I couldn't get a clear shot, only twenty yards away and stood there, hard hit. The other goats had no idea what had happened, one was looking at me and let out a few alarm sneezes, but was unsure as I had gloves, faceveil and 3D top on, and didn't move a muscle. They kept feeding past me, and when the last one had gone past, I slowly moved down to him. He was bedded against a tree, panting. I had to get to two yards before I could get a clear shot, and fired the finisher. At the shot he slumped his head and it was all over.

I moved around to his head and squatted beside him,looked him in they eye and said thanks and patted him on the chest. He was a magnificent specimen. His horns were incredibly wide and with heavy bases. I looked at all his scars in the hard skin under his horns from fighting, and his shaggy coat that displayed his cashmere bloodlines. It was a moment I won't forget.

With the sun almost gone I set up the tripod, and began to a photo session that lasted about half an hour.

It had been a long time between drinks, but I think I had just made up for it with what is likley to be the best trophy i'll take.

He measured an amazing 46" spread and scored 132 2/8 on the Douglas score and sits at about 25th on the all time bowshot list.

It was a great day, and a helluva way to break my drought. The beers sure tasted good that night.

For the record, the bow is a Fox longbow, Arctic fox 2pce takedown 53# @28, with juniper veneers.
Arrows were 5/16 Australian Ash with 190 Ribteks.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and congratulations, it makes Tradgang a good place to be.
Good luck to you all on your upcoming hunts,
Memo

Offline stevemfwills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 06:11:00 AM »
excellent
if we are not suppose to eat animals,then why are they made of meat

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 07:22:00 AM »
Magnificent animal!!

Thanks for letting us follow along.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2010, 07:44:00 AM »
Congrats,nice pics and story.Welcome back where you belong.P.S. chasing girls is no so wrong anyway.LOL
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Anaconda12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2010, 07:44:00 AM »
That was about as sweet as caramel on a english donut!  Nice animal I often thought I would like to go somewhere like Hawaii and hunt them ol "stink sheep"!
Luck has nothing to do with it, just Boot leather and a GWP.

Offline del

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2010, 08:10:00 AM »
Congrats on the hunt!  Those are some great photos. <>< del

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
Oh my!  What a great read!  Congradulations to you and welcome back to the world that we love!  Thank you..Thank you...Thank you!
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
Good stuff! Nice shooting and fine telling.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
That is how you break a drought.  :thumbsup:  Thanks and welcome back.
Jeff Couture

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
:saywhat:   you may want to do a better job of covering up your leotards before you take your next picture.   :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©