3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New to GrizzlySticks....  (Read 290 times)

Offline kodiak55

• Trad Bowhunter
New to GrizzlySticks....
« on: July 19, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
hey all,anyone have any 'speriance with GrizzlyStick arrow shafts?...let me know what you all think,thanks! take care,lee  :)
71' kodiak hunter 43#
76' grizzly 50#
76' kodiak magnum 55#
80? super kodiak w/factory camo 55
08' super kodiak 55#

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to GrizzlySticks....
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
Lee....if you do a search you will find lots of info about the griz stic's.
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline kodiak55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
Hey one-shot...I did find a lot of info on them...most of it advertising,extolling of their "virtues"...I was wondering if anyone here has any real-world experiance..Has anyone shot or actually hunted,better yet,shot any game with them. Just wanted some opinions and thoughts...WHOOOooo...by the way,these things ARE EXPENSIVE!!!!!....take care,Lee
71' kodiak hunter 43#
76' grizzly 50#
76' kodiak magnum 55#
08' super kodiak 55#

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
I have heard a lot of good things about them.  That was the original shafts that were made in America.  I have heard that the finish on the shafts that are now made in China wears off really fast.  A buddy of mine showed me a few he had been shooting for two weeks and the finish was gone where they stuck in targets.

For me if it isn't made in America to really highs standards there is no way I would spend that kind of cash for them.  Particularly if the quality went down while the price stayed the same.

Do your own research to see if my buddies experience and other annecdotal evidence is true or not.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline kodiak55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
Right on..I think I have heard this as well somewhere. I agree 100% on your sentiments about being made overseas,to a somewhat lower standard,then keeping the price right up there! That really irritates me,alot! Anyway,I'll let you all know what happens with them. so far,I am kinda sold on the theory behind them,with them being tapered,and all that....maybe I fell for some slick advertising..maybe not..We'll see! take care,lee
71' kodiak hunter 43#
76' grizzly 50#
76' kodiak magnum 55#
08' super kodiak 55#

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
Lee....I have shot them over the last 2-3 yrs....bought 2 dozen and still have all but a couple....very durable shafts. I shoot mine 30.5" with 100 gr insert and 300 gr bh or field pt. out of my 50# - 70# recurves. These are the alaskan models. They do get a burn from 3 D or block targets. I usually just rub string wax on them prior to shooting. Great stumping arrows. That said I also shoot the AD hammerheads same set up. What length are you going to shoot? I may have a couple laying around I can send you to try out before you buy.
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
Kodiak 55...i'm a Grizzly Stik user from it's humble beginings. I can email you numbers of big game kills if you need numbers. They are very durable, for example i killed 5 whitetail deer last year using the same Alaskan shaft. Hog rolled over on #6.. :( ..Like any other shaft it needs to be tuned to your setup. However Griz sticks have a "spine" and that needs to be lined up with index nock. But........with all that being said ...the FOC capabilities of this arrow i really like above any other arrow made in USA, Taiwan,China, or Morehead Mississippi!.....My setup is a homemade recurve 72# at 30" shooting an Alaskan with 185gr point...330 deflection..flys like an asprin.....if the price is stiff, i would suggest the seconds...most are blemish..i have been know to buy them too  :)  if i can be of help please let me know
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
Joey, I'm crushed. After buying up all of my remaining Superceders in your spine and length, now you're extolling the virtues of another shaft!

Just crushed. And after you rooked me into buying that scratchy, homemade "turkey call", no less. I paid you good money, and this is the thanks I get.

Another lesson learned.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
Don , you know you don't drink your best bottle of wine...you save it ...age it...your shafts is the "vintage wine"...of traditional archery....I shoot alot of critters...don't want to break up all my Stokes originals in 2-3 years..!!

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Apology accepted, Joey. I'll wipe away the tears and rest on my laurels.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
I had a "Sitka" and a "Grizzly" made up and have shot both a good bit from 52-58 lb. d/r longbows. They are fine shafts but I.M.H.O. offer no advavtage over Beman MFX and actually do not quite match them. Their cost is rather high as well and I never ordered a set.

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
I used them for about two years and liked them just fine. The last half dozen I ordered didn't seem to be the same quality as the one's ordered earlier. I'm also tired of guessing which inserts will they come with. Sometimes aluminum other times brass. I going try some from arrow dynamics.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline kodiak55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
Ok!...more great info here...I didnt know about their 'spine" though...Just how do I find it? Also,I shoot a Bear 55# S.Kodiak,29" draw,I ordered them @ 30",with the brass inserts. After reading this replies,I am thinking my standard 125gr.heads need to be replaced with a larger head?? Is this where a point test-kit would come into play? (I did order one w/ my arrows) I just need to know I am on right track here...theres alot of $$ going into this for me. I just returned to trad. tackle after a few years "on the dark side of force",so i am still re-learning things here...Thanks for your understanding and patience guys! Take care,Lee
71' kodiak hunter 43#
76' grizzly 50#
76' kodiak magnum 55#
08' super kodiak 55#

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
I had to save my weimeraner from getting ripped up by a big male Badger while stumping.
My experience with Grizzly Stiks.
One Badger,
One kill,
One rolling Badger.
One broken $12.00 Sitka.
One blessed Weimeraner.
Dang it.
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
Welcome back!! i'm sure you'll find alot trad brothers in the Commonwealth..great state! ( my mother was from Bowling Green  :) ).Your Sitkas will spine out at .450 deflection. Ordering point test kit is smart. i would start at 125gr and go up. To find the stiff part of the spine, click on ABS bowsite and there is a Youtube on how to roll it on table and find it..( probably my ugly mug still doing it!)...Main thing is lets get your spine orientated at same place with all your nocks.....if they fly great and work out , check back with ABS because i think they have some seconds blemish for sale at 19.95 for 3..get those!....

Offline kodiak55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
Well fellas...just cam back from range today...shot my new G'sticks...WOW!!!...holyy cow!!..these things shoot like lazers out of my S.kodiak!!! When i do my part,I can tuck 'em right into my cardboard deer's armpit! They fly AWESOME! I am so amped now! Finally! Got brace height right...nock point all nice..Now,I just gotta scout some and keep practicing. Went back to trad.  gear 2 yrs. ago,and STILL have TONS to learn. Feels grat to dial it all in..THANKS GUYS!!  take care,Lee
71' kodiak hunter 43#
76' grizzly 50#
76' kodiak magnum 55#
08' super kodiak 55#

Offline kodiak55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
Joebuck..what does it mean when one says "deflection" when refering to arrows? I keep reading this and am not sure what it means. Does it mean arrow weight?   thanks !! Lee
71' kodiak hunter 43#
76' grizzly 50#
76' kodiak magnum 55#
08' super kodiak 55#

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
It' the spine reference of an arrow. Measurement of bending. Lower the number, stiffer the shaft. A 2# weight is lowered on a shaft in the middle and how much it deflects down (bends) is measured in thousands

Offline Tomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
You'll learn soon enough that those made in China arrows are a bunch of hokum. Get your self somthing that is MADE IN AMERICA!

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
Tomas, aren't your Bemans manufactured in Mexico and Canada? What's your point of thread bashing?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©