3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New guy here  (Read 412 times)

Offline JustinNC

• Trad Bowhunter
New guy here
« on: July 20, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
New guy here. With the help of my brother n law/member here, Jonathan Creason, I am wanting to get into traditional archery.

Right now I shoot a wheel bow and probably will through this season just to be able to hunt archery season this year ethically. Hopefully next year I will be able to carry a stick and string in the woods.

Messing around over at his house kind of brought the fun back to archery. Makes me actually want to go outside to shoot.

As it stands right now, I have access to an older Bear Grizzly, 50lbs. Hoping to find something a little lighter to start out with to get my form right. After learning all I could about shooting a compound, going to have to dumb myself back down and be humble again, and start over from scratch with an open mind. Looking forward to learning, just hoping I don't go head over heals right off the bat! Can't afford that!

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New guy here
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
Justin, welcome to Trad Gang! It is quite an adventure. I know I'm hooked for a lifetime.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
Welcome to the gang  :wavey:
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
Glad to have you on board. The folks on this site have certainly taught me a whole lot about trad shooting.
CJ

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
When I put my compound down I never looked back. But I must say I shot traditional before there were compounds so it was like comming home. ................James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
Welcome Justin. Traditional Archery is a great ride. You get out of it what you put into it. Same with TradGang. Great people on this site who will help you in any way they can. Just ask. You'll be surprized.   :thumbsup:

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
welcome justin.glad to here you are doing it ethicaly.i waited until i was confidant with my black widow before i took a shot at anything that was alive.3d shoots helped me alot.best wishes,steve

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »
:wavey:
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
Good to see you got signed up.  There's a ton on info on here, just not enough time to read it all.  

Next time you're over I'll give you those books and some DVD's that'll help.  We'll get a board bow knocked out in the next couple of weeks for you to practice with.

Oh yeah, check out  www.thecta.org

They're not far from your parents and they put on a shoot every month.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
Welcome Justin!

You will find that unlike compound shooting, trad shooting is all about just shooting.  Trad bowhunters tend to care less about what bow you shoot or how fast it goes, and rather, what happened in the woods... most of us view a successful hunt just observing nature and seeing animals.  This year I took the plunge and sold my Elite compound.  It became just too easy to shoot.  I could go outside my house and hit my target every time, so I know where you are coming from with the switch.  You will love the first time you hunt with a stickbow... its a very organic experience.  Lastly, on the poundage... stick with it.  50 is a good weight.  You need to just develop some muscle, which will come with practice.  I built up my bow weight to 55# by doing holds.  10-12 per day outside of shooting.  Just draw the bow to anchor, come past anchor about an inch, hold for 10 seconds and let down nice a slow.  You have plenty of time to build strength and practice with that grizzly... and taking a Bear into the woods is something we ALL can tip our hat to!

Best of luck and enjoy the ride!
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline JustinNC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
Thanks Jonathan.

Penguin, Jonathan kind of put it into perspective for me while I was at his house Sunday. I couldn't put into perspective about why it was more fun, but he said it like you did, something to the effect of tired of trying to keep the latest and greatest, just go out there, shoot and have fun. He's right about that.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
Hi Justin and welcome  :campfire:
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
Welcome aboard, Jonathan. Sold my PSE Compound a few years ago, bought a used recurve and never looked back. Many bows later I have an idea of the best weight and the kinds of bows I favor as well as a collection of bows to go along with that. They are all fun.

50# is a moderate weight, pretty average. But if you feel you can't draw smooth or hold steady, you would be best to drop down some  pounds to get your form. As Mr Penguin says, you can practive building strenght with the 50# bow in the meantime so that at some point you will move up. Actually, you will feel the lighter bow get too light and need some more ##s to get the right form. It comes in time

Best of luck
Sam

Offline liv'nonaprayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 06:09:00 PM »
Welcome Justin!I'm fairly new to traditional shooting as well,actually,I think my years of compound shooting helped me with form and the disciplines of the bow.I sold my compound and am not looking back,archery is fun again!(I just shot my first two inch group @ 20 yards,WOO-WHOO!)
2 cor.5:17

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
welcome   :wavey:
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
Welcome Justin! I think your starting out right by not trying to hunt with the stick yet. Enjoy it first and learn how to use it not just shoot it. You can have so much fun practicing in hunting situations, maybe hit some 3D's before they end for the year and be ready for next year. Where are you at in NC, maybe we can hook up and sling a few.

Offline JustinNC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
It's 45lbs. I was misinformed before I picked it up. Drawing and holding doesn't seem to be a problem right now. However, the draw length seems short and that is aggravating. Going to have to replace a couple arrows too. lol.

ckanous, Im just down the road from you (if your info is right) I am in Mooresville.

Offline recurvecody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
welcome brother!
pick a spot stupid!

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
Good to have you, I'm just down the road from you a bit!  Shoot me a pm sometime and we'll get together and shoot a bit!

Jonathan Cook
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline JustinNC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
Sounds good J. Cook. Some of you guys may already have met my brother n law, Jonathan Creason. Would be fun to meet up with you guys sometime.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©