3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: OTC DIY colorado elk hunt  (Read 310 times)

Offline Darren.zesch

• Trad Bowhunter
OTC DIY colorado elk hunt
« on: July 20, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
Planing a 2012 over the counter do it yourself cow elk hunt. This will be my first time and was hoping somebody could help me out with a good unit. Not looking for gps coordinates, just a good unit for september cow elk hunting. This will be the first trip of many and i understand all the hard work involved. Just looking for some guidance. thanks

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: OTC DIY colorado elk hunt
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
i was thinking of doing this someday too
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
I'd go ahead and put in for a preference point in 2011.  Then you should be able to draw some of the units in the White River National Forest in 2012.  I'd go for somewhere in the Flat Tops Wilderness Area.  GMU 24 is where I have hunted and it's pretty good.  Look for Trapper's Lake near Meeker.  Last I checked it was only 1 point to draw.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
The flat tops units take 2 points or more to draw now.  I hunted 12 last year and the one thing no one tells you about are all the outfitters.  Most of them only pack in about 2 miles (some even less) so that presents a problem hunting from the road, or even packing in a few miles.

Offline NewtoTrad2008

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
There are quite a few good areas, and like John suggested get a point next year and it will really open up your options. You never know what the DOW will do by 2012 with the OTC areas. Keep in touch and I will give you a report after this season on what I see in Unit 49
Kanati 56" 55#@26" missing :-(
Mohawk 64" 60#@28"
Ben Pearson KM Special 50#@28"
Matt

Offline Darren.zesch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
im new to elk hunting and still trying to figure out the preference point system. this is why ive targeted 2012. thanks for your help and any more advice is greatly appreciated.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
There is a ton of info in a thread titled "Wanna go elk huntin'? 2010 UPDATE. More photos Pg. 5". Search for it, read it, and Im sure many questions will be answered.
Hope this helps. Hope you make it happen.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
Darren,

First of all I would recommend you buy an OTC nonresident either sex license.  Do not restrict yourself to cows only.  In my experience you will have a better chance at a bull.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
>>>recommend you buy an OTC nonresident either sex license<<<

+1

Why wait?

You can go OTC and still accumulate points until you get enough for that special unit.

Offline bttsj1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
Definitley would get the either sex tag like the others have said.
In my opinion you gotta go atleast once. Elk hunting aint for everyone especially if you go DIY but I'm hooked, prob been last ten years and it aint easy getting away when you have a wife and 3 little ones.
Border Black Douglas 54@28
Centaur 51@29

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
I would not wait!  Go now, plenty of OTC areas that have great hunting! I also agree with not limiting yourself to a cow.  I'd buy the either sex tag, and go for it!

Realistically, if you're not in shape, and don't have an area located you might consider waiting until 2011, but I wouldn't wait longer.

Offline Darren.zesch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
Thanks everybody it makes complete sense to upgrade tag. Brett thanks for the gmu74 tip I'll definately keep that in mind.  I was originally looking at the gmu's around hot sulphur springs. Has anybody hunted those units? Keep em coming, I need all the advise I can get.

Thank you all
Darren

Offline Mike Theis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
Do not discount the low country. Plenty of animals in the sage after the high country gets crowded. Check in with a few BLM wildlife managers for the region you are interested in. They can discuss access as well as animal populations. All good people there to help you.  Good Luck.
If man were to know everything in advance, there would be no such thing as adventure!

Offline Sgt. Graves

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
This is my first year to hunt elk. I'm going with a group of trad archers to a national forest above Ft. Collins. Don't know unit #.

Offline Darren.zesch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
ttt

Offline DesertFox83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
I'm using my OTC either sex again this year while I get points built up for GMU 76. Anyone hunt unit 74 or 75.

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
DesertFox - I've hunted both 74 & 75 for archery elk.  Let me know if you have any questions!

Offline Darren.zesch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
thanks so much. If anybody else has anymore advice we would all love it. notjust where to go or even when to go, but anything else a beginner elk hunter would need to know would be great. thanks again.

Offline Darren.zesch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
Has anybody hunted gmu 521 in the grand mesa national forest?

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
I continue to go to CO to hunt, but I am continually frustrated by the penetration of roads and use of quads.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©