3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ever doubt yourself  (Read 407 times)

Offline stevemfwills

• Trad Bowhunter
ever doubt yourself
« on: July 20, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
Well went out and shot this evening and shot about 40 arrows.As i was out there shooting and not shooting as well as normal,I mean I was in the lungs of my 3d deer never out of the 8,but is statred to doubt my shooting.I have killed alot of animals with my curve and I am so intense in my focus at picking a spot on an animal,but lately I have been doubting my skills with a bow that Im almost not wanting to carry my bow in the woods.Its not target panic cause i really know anything of it,I havent changed my set up at all,just something doesnt seem to fit right..Anyone ever start to doubt their selfs close to season.....thanks
if we are not suppose to eat animals,then why are they made of meat

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ever doubt yourself
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by stevemfwills:
[QB] Well went out and shot this evening and shot about 40 arrows.As i was out there shooting and not shooting as well as normal,I mean I was in the lungs of my 3d deer never out of the 8,but ..

No buts about it..dead is dead. And a lung hit is defintaly good. Great job shooting   :notworthy:      :goldtooth:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
Hell yes!!!
Maybe have someone watch you shoot and give you a few pointers.

Maybe layoff a few days. That helps me.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
Your thinking your self out of shooting good.  Quit thinking so much and just shoot.  We can all psyche ourselve into shooting bad.  I just focus on the spot and don't think about anything else.  When I do that I hit it every time.  If I let anything interfere with that I miss the spot I am looking at.  I expect every shot to hit where I am looking.  Thinking about missing almost guarantees a miss.  

Don't think about anything, just focus hard and shoot.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
Yeah, you may just need to lighten up a bit. Take a few days off. We shoot for fun. Remember, when go out to shoot our bows, we are going out to play. Yes, a clean, ethical kill is a very serious undertaking, but we do it because it is fun!
Sam

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 02:40:00 AM »
like Sam said..... just have fun. you dont need to hit a spot to enjoy shooting. maybe it is time to shoot at a blank wall and just enjoy the flight of the arrow.

Offline plentycoupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 02:50:00 AM »
Like the others said, maybe you just need a break.
Sounds like you know what you are doing and have a ton of experience under you belt so maybe it is other stressors that have your mind wondering.
Maybe just take some time to relax and figure out what that is.  Work on it.

Then pick the bow back up and kill another animal this season. You already know you have what it takes Brother!

Take care and good shooting

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 04:48:00 AM »
go stump shooting.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 06:44:00 AM »
I think it's something that more than a few experience if they are over thinking their shooting.

I would suggest that you try just shooting for the fun of shooting at least some of the time. By that I mean shooting without the pressure of each shot having to be perfect.

I would also suggest that you try shooting in total darkness using a candle flame as your target. This exercise takes away the need to try focusing on a spot because a spot is all you can see.(I hope that makes sense) This allows me to shoot without having to think about picking a spot.

Good luck!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
It's Satin

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
All the time. Sometimes you just have to keep pulling the string back with your fingers and feeling the arch of the bow. Passion and desire are things you can't go looking for they find you instead. For me sometimes it takes a new challenge or quest to bring it back. Like hunting a new species,planning a dream hunt,building a bow ect... It may take time but keep at it.

Offline stevemfwills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
thanks all,another thing is i can go out and rove around and hit almost every sparrow within 20 yds.and starlings out to 25 yds....its something about that stupid foam deer....

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
Try something else then a deer....

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
Nothing is going to mess you up more than thinking I "have" to make that shot.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
It's Bush's fault..........
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline stevemfwills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
i have a turkey,cougar,coon,deer,and several block and have one 30 feet up a tree.just sucks that im a perfectionist when it comes to hitting that foam.i just want to be the best archer that i can be and know every shot i can put it in the money.well guess i need to come to terms that im not god and need to relize that a kill is a kill...

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
What Brian Krebs said. Forget the deer target and grab a judo arrow. One target, one shot. It puts the fun back in shooting.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
We all do at one time or another Steve.....I like to get away from shooting for a week or so and then pick it back up. It usually works for me...something about the time away just seems to help me. I experience the same thing with tennis...suddenly out of nowhere I can't seem to keep the ball in play ..that means i need a week off before I go back to it. Don't get discouraged...you'll be ok

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
It's Bush's fault..........
The medecine may be worse than the original ailment though!   :knothead:
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
Only doubted myself with the recurve once. I had just graduated from wheels, and had the biggest 8 pt I'd ever had a chance to draw on in front of me. I wished for the wheels at the moment. I drew and shot right over his back.

Sniff, sniff...I'm not quite over that one.    :(
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©