3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hogs with shields and penetration!  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hogs with shields and penetration!
« on: July 20, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
Hi!
I was surfing the net and found an interesting clip.

It was made for showing the need for heavy equipment when shooting a boar thru the shield and into the engine room.

The guy shooting used a wheelie @70#
2114 shaft and a 100 grain 3 blade broadhead.
The shot was done at 12 yards against an already dead European boar, full side.

I guess the arrow weighed ca 420-425 grains. (2114 is I believe 10.2 gpi+ nock and vanes)

The shot went in ca 2,5" - 3" at maximum  :scared:  

I know we are not discussing wheelies etc,
my point is wow, you really need some heavy equipment to take down a mature hog if you are shooting it full side and hitting the shields!!

Maybe there is a difference between the European hog and others but again I believe for hogs: "heavy is good, heavy is reliable"

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hogs with shields and penetration!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
what brand broadhead ???? 2114,s seem a little light too......
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
Margly the problem with that set is that he was shooting a 425 grain arrow. I bet it was a chisel tip arrow head as well.  Not gonna get crap for penetration on a hard bone or heavy hide shield hit on a hog with that set up no matter how many pounds the bow is.  I would bet a large sum of money that if the arrow weighed 650 grains it would have blown right thru that hog and kept going.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
T Lail

I`m not sure, but did look like a NAP 3 blade, and when he pulled the arrow, one of the blades was damaged as well just hanging to the broadhead in the rear section.

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ragnarok Forge:
Margly the problem with that set is that he was shooting a 425 grain arrow. I bet it was a chisel tip arrow head as well.  Not gonna get crap for penetration on a hard bone or heavy hide shield hit on a hog with that set up no matter how many pounds the bow is.  I would be a large sum of money that if the arrow weighed 650 grains it would have blown right thru that hog and kept going.
Exactly my point!

You need heavy equipment for hogs.
Just a mind opening clip to see.

Margly

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
You get alot advice on this one.............but from my experience........it is extremely hard to shoot through a big shielded hog out of a tree stand..try shoot him on the ground 18 yards and in.......2 holes drip better than 1   :)
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
Joebuck is right as usual but from the ground if your in the sheild your getting a bit too high anyway. I shoot hogs low in the pocket, works purty good.RC

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
Right in the armpit, behind the elbow, or nothin', son!
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 03:15:00 AM »
70# MOAB......585 Grain arrow.....WIDE 2 blade.....tree stand.....no exit.....burried off leg bone and pulled out with pliers.....no doubt in my mind a Wensel Woodsman would have gotten the same dead results from the equipment listed above....

SHIELD SHOT - CLICK HERE
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 06:48:00 AM »
My buddy shot and lost 2 pigs around 175lbs within the last 4 weeks over the same thing.1 was with the big WW and the other was with the Muzzy Phantom 4 blade.He shooting 550 grain carbon arrow 48lb@27" longbow.Very little penetration on both pigs.Since them i told him to pull the bleeders off the muzzy and try this and he seeems to be getting way better penetration.Hogs are some very tuff criters.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 07:53:00 AM »
The Boar in my avatar had a shield. I buiried a 31.5" arrow to the fletch with a 62# Sunbear. Arrow was heavy and flew straight and the woodsman was sharp. 27 yard shot.

Good luck,

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
Even with my heavy setup, 545gr with a Zwickey Delta, I always look for a quartering away shot.  That shield is a beast. Low and tight for broadside shots!
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
48#s is a bit light for HEAVY shielded hogs....

Also, I don't know where it came from....but it seems to get touted all the time....'quartering away to avoid the shield'.  When I hear that, I know the person saying it has not shot a heavy shielded boar hog.

LOOK at the video.....the shield is NOT just around the front shoulder....it extends WAY beyond the crease.  Also....when you quarter the shot, you are shooting through MORE shield by the angle you are creating on the shot.

HEAVY SHIELDED hogs require 2 things from what I have found.....55# minimum and heavier bows, and 550 plus grain arrows.

I have shot 3 LARGE hogs...one with a wide 2 blade that stopped in the off leg bone, and two that were passed through with Zwickey 4 blades, and they were shot with a 60# MOAB, 70# MOAB, and a 67# A&H....and two were with 580 grain arrows and one was with a 630 grain arrow.

YES!!!...Hogs are TUFF...especially when they reach a certain size.  Light weight equipment will likely be disappointing if you don't make the perfect shot in the soft pocket....and that's not a large target.

No matter the broadhead choice, you also gotta make sure it is SHARP!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
haven't shot that many hogs with an actual real developed shield. But when I kept notes way back I took 8 cleanly - 100% recovery - all double lung broadside - all stalking (like joey said).
arrows were 600 to 850 grains - all heads sharp to the tip - 15 to 20 yard shots - none popped outthe far side - 8 to 10 inches penetration - bow weights all 65# (+/-) dead in seconds BUT I was on edge each time. I think the shots out at 15 / 20 helped penetration since these were completely straightened out - most hogs we shoot at 15, 10 even 5 yards - but I have never had a shot closer than 15 on one of these monster boars.
<>< <-------------------<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
I shoot fairly heavy equipment ... 74# bow with 700 grain arrow. I have killed a train car load of hogs. I can count on 1 hand how many I have shot that the arrow didn't say in.
I shot this one from a ground blind at about 6 feet and the arrow stayed in

http://www.buffsblackwidow.com/oldvideos/h&s001.wmv

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
Very good stuff Buff. I actually saw a drove of hogs that big a month or so ago at fort stewart. My shot was not quite as good as yours though. Actually was a lots worse...RC

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
Man I wish we had hags in CT I've got a few days off and nothin to hunt.I just finished a bunch of EFOC shafts I'd love to field test.
Jeff Couture

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
That is a bunch of hogs Buff and a great shot.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
After looking at both Terry and Buffs video, I am absolutely sure that you need that extra for the mature hog.

I`m definitely going to build my arrows for my hunt at Hogheaven in the 700+ area.

Thanks for sharing  :thumbsup:  

Margly

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
From what I've read the shield is scar tissue that's developed through fights with other hogs.  This suggests that not all shields are created equal and that it just depends on the fights they've gotten into over the years.  If you look at a hog, can you tell 1) how thick the shield is by how rough the exterior looks and 2) can you tell if they have both shields?
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©