3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help with leather handle  (Read 457 times)

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
Help with leather handle
« on: May 11, 2007, 10:54:00 AM »
I'm definitely learning from my mistakes!  I am trying to get a leather handle put on my Horne Mountain Bow.  I have been successful in molding the leather to fit the deep recurve grip, but I haven't gotten one on the bow that I am happy with.

First attempt went well but I did'nt get the handle trimmed exactly to my liking, did'nt use any adhesive and could feel the handle moving a little when I shot, so I cut it off and formed another.

Second attempt I liked the way I had it trimmed and was sure the end result would be good.  I decided to use barge cement under the handle and applied it to the leather before I started lacing.  About halfway through the lacing job the barge cement was starting to set and would'nt let the leather pull together in the front.  A stitch or to later I ripped one of the stitch holes out and was back to square one.

Any advice on getting it laced before the glue sets up?  What is best to clean the barge cement off the handle before I try again?

Offline ALW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with leather handle
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
I've only done a couple but this is how I did it.  I pre-stretched the leather to fit the grip.  These were on selfbows but I make the grips more like a recurve or a locator on a longbow.  Once it was stretched and trimmed and I had the holes punched, I put contact cement (Weldwood I believe) on the leather.  I didn't put any on the bow handle, just the leather and don't let it tack up.  I also didn't put it on all of the leather, just the portion where it would contact the back of the handle in the deepest part of the grip.  Kind of down the center of the leather away from the lacing holes.  

Then put the leather on the grip.  The adhesive will hold it pretty good on the back of the handle in the throat of the grip but leaves the rest of the leather that wraps around free.  This allows the leather to stretch while you are stitching it up but the adhesive in the deepest part of the grip keeps it tight while you are shooting and prevents it from slipping.

You can apply a little more contact cement on a little more of the leather if you want, but don't go all the way to the lacing holes.  Part way around the grip is plenty.  Clear as mud!  Haha.  I'm sure there are guys on here that have done a bunch more than me that can give you some tips, but this method worked pretty good on the ones I did.  

Aaron

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 11:45:00 AM »
That's good advice.

I don't use barge cement, I use 3M Spray Adhesive. Once done, it keeps the leather from moving around on the grip, but it doesn't adhere the leather so quickly/tightly to the grip that I can't peel it back and make adjusments if I get part way through the stitching and decide I need to give it a pull here or there so it meets in the front.

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
I may be trying to stretch the leather too tight.  I formed it by soaking in water and wrapping it around the bow (covered with saran wrap) then clamping in front and let dry.  After forming it fits real well and I'm trimming to where there is about a 3/16" gap where it laces on the back of the bow.  The first one was really tight and looked good but had no adhesive and moved a little.  I thought about not using as much adhesive next time and "pre-lacing" the grip loosely and sliding it into place.

Offline ALW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 12:40:00 PM »
You mentioned that you tore out one of the lacing holes.  I fold the edges of mine over so there is about a 3/16 fold at the edges, then punch the holes there.  I saw that on one of the "How to's" on this site.  It gives you a double thick piece of leather at the stitch holes for added strength and I think it gives a nicer look to the finished product.  I did it with deer hide which is very thin.  Check out some of the threads in the How To Resources.

Aaron

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
I laced this one up on my Horne Combo

I've found that when using 2-3oz soft deer leather you can manage to wrap nearly any handle...
I fit it as best I could, then used contact cement to secure it.  Did a tad more trimming and then laced it up.

Sounds like you're using a veggie tanned leather?  If that's the case, I'd soak it like you did, let it dry and trim even on the back - no gap.  Apply the cement to all but the back of the bow and put it all together.  I think you're right, it does sound like you're trying to pull the leather too tight.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©