3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: best hunting sunglasses?  (Read 141 times)

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
best hunting sunglasses?
« on: July 20, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
I have some nice sunglasses but they really don't do well in most hunting situations where the light can often be bright in one area and shadows in another.

What I need is a pair that will perform well in low light while still dong their job when stepping into the bright.

Any hands on experience?

Willing to spend up to 100.00.

thanks

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: best hunting sunglasses?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
I tried shooting with glasses, once. Had to buy new glasses when the string ripped them off. Fortunately the damage to my nose didn't show much.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
I use glasses shooting birds in the air when I don't know which way the shot will face.  For that I use shooting glasses with colors that make the target stand out and not just darken everything.  For shooting stuff on the ground with a bow I like to have the sun at my back and/ or be in the shadows.  I never had a real need for sun glasses bow hunting.  maybe when hiking in or out or scouting, but not when trying to shoot something.  I did try and shoot with them on the other days.  They kind of get in the way, but my shooting seemed ok other than the target was darker, and I don't think I picked as fine a spot.  I would have a hard time shooting something if it was back lit so much I needed sunglasses to look at it.  Plus I would think that the thing would just be a dark outline shape and hard to pick a spot on.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
I am a shadow slinker too, but elk/mule deer hunting you have to deal with bright sunlight. I get migraines triggered from alternating light such as going through timber where you are exposed to bright sunlight and then dark shadows. My brother gave me a pair of his duty issued oakley sunglasses the SF teams get. They are not too dark to where it causes my vision to be impaired in shadow and I seem to shoot ok with them on. They are NOT $100 though...more like $150. M frames. They come with several lenses too for shooting. Good luck!
Mike Davenport

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
Transition lenses have come a long way... those are the ones that get darker with direct sun. They don't have to be clear and corrective. You can start them at say 30% and have them range to 60 or 70%. So when you shift in the shade, they get lighter. And ABSOLUTELY get polarized lenses, not plain sunglasses: eliminate glare and reflection. I'm in Northern California where the sky is often overcast and reflective, they make a very big difference.
Marco

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
Those M frame Oakleys are the ticket for shooting in bright light.  My eyes seem to adjust nicely after wearing them for a few minutes.  In addition, I have no issue with a "frame" in my line of sight and no worries of the string ripping them off.  

Most of the time while hunting big game, I wear none... but those Oakleys with polarized lens are fantastic for bowfishing.
Lon Scott

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
I like polarized prescription lenses for fishing and hunting when needed.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©