3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Target advice  (Read 355 times)

Offline crunch

• Trad Bowhunter
Target advice
« on: July 20, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
Well I've determined the only way that I'm going to improve is by shooting WAY more regularly.
What do you all recommend as a reasonably priced target for home use.
I'll be using it at close range working on form only.

Thanks,

Bob

Offline mattmcdonald

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Target advice
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
hay bales if you can get them they also allow for easy arrow removal with field points and with the zwicky type broadheads

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
If you're going to be practicing with field points, get one of the targets that are advertised for "two finger removal" such as the Yellow Jacket target sold by 3 Rivers.  Your practice will be more enjoyable if you don't have to struggle removing the arrows.  Shooting field points, these targets last a long time so that the cost is pretty negligible over the time you use it.  These get torn up pretty fast by broadheads.

Foam targets are the hardest to remove arrows from, but work well with broadheads.

Hay bales are in between, as far as ease of removing arrows, and work for both field points and SOME broadheads.  Note that Matt said "zwicky type broadheads."  Meaning broadheads that have a reverse bevel on the back.  Try removing a broadhead that has a concave back and you have a real struggle on your hands.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
I just bought a Bulldog and so far I like it. It also has a life time warranty.
 http://www.bulldogtargets.com/contents/en-us/p1_lifetime_warranty_archery_target.html
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
For field points a burlap bag filled with pallet wrapping material. For broadheads a sand pile will work great until the temps drop.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Schmidtster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
I Also like the burlap bag with pallet wrap, I've used bales and found myself changing alot of fletchings from the arrows going through or stopping right on the fletch.
Nathan

Offline Ron+dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 12:27:00 AM »
i bought a morells yellow jacket and hung it from a tree 2 yrs ago for form work it still looks good and performs great
>>>--------> <--------<<<
" the happiness that is found sleeping under tents is unbelievable. one night in tents is worth three in town" -bruce chatwin in far journeys

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 12:53:00 AM »
For field points, a U Stuff It bag stuffed with plastic grocery bags and any other plastic + old nylon quilted clothes like ski pants, etc that are no longer good to wear makes a great target. It will not hold up for broadheads
The great thing is when the bag finally goes, and in a year of daily shooting mine is still ok, you just get another U Stuff It bag and put the old one with all the stuffing right into the new one and you're good to go another year.

Sam

Offline crunch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 07:02:00 AM »
Thanks Guys,

I thought about hay, didn't know how it would hold up or stop a shaft.
i had a burlap bag  stuffed with an old tarp, but it didn't hold up.
Maybe something like the yellow jacket. Are they pretty much the same, or is the Morrel's a better bet than Basspro's etc, version?

Thanks,

Bob

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
A large round bale of hay works really well if you can arrange to get it delivered. Cover it and it will last forever. They are baled tight enough to easily stop arrows, even BH's.
Small square bales suck.

Offline marsniper27

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
Currently i have a cardboard box filled with insulation (the pink panther fiberglass stuff) I am only shooting a 45# bow but even at 5 yards stops my arrows.

Once i ripped the original box apart i stuffed it along with the insulation into another box it is a little harder to remove arrows but stops them even faster.

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
I took 2 landscape timbers and two 5 foot pieces of two by six. Nailed the 2 2x6 to either side of the top of the landscape timbers and then dug two post holes and put up my frame. I then took old carpet and cut 4- 5 x 6 pieces and screwed two sheets to the 2 x6 on the front of the frame and 2 to the back.It stops my arrows but they are currently sticking out the back so I may add another piece of carpet.
It makes a great backstop for a 3D target but I also have been shooting it for my blind bale practice since it stops the arrows so well and it is so big.
 I expect it to last a year, then I just replace the carpet.

CKR
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
I have shot most everything over the years and now have 3 hale bales held tight with a ratchet strap. I use the type of strap that is used to hold down autos on a trailer. I also back it with a stall mat. Total initial cost is around $60 but I can replace the bales for around $15 every couple years and stay in business.The bags stuffed with plastic and layer type targets work fine but I would shoot them up so fast and have a big mess in the yard I decided to go this route plus it has a bigger surface for those long range shots.

Offline Ty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
Onehair,
How are the bales stacked and how is the mat attached?
Thanks,
Ty

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
Carpet is very good and thanks for reminding us CKR. I always ask do you put the backing out or the face out? I find that shooting into the backing works better for me

I don't leave a space between layers but that's a good idea too. Get an old discontinued sample binder from the local carpet store and use the rings or the big double ferrule screws to bind them together. I also put some glue between layers. The helps keep it dry. Then a garbage bag over the whole thing. As long as the top of the bag is in good shape, it will keep it pretty dry.

If any of you get the sand tubes for your pickup in the winter, those bags make great target bags. After the winter, dump the sand in your garden (good for the garden btw) I've stuffed them with plastics, carpet and old nylon clothing, comforters and similar junk and have created a mini 3D course that sets out in my yard all year. I sew the bags closed, (even the U Stuff It velcro does not hold so I sew it -- nothing fancy -- 1 inch stiches with a big leather needle and some stuff like serving or leather repair thread) That allows me to create a folded over hole on each end, run a string thru it. I can hang these on a tree or some other likely object and shoot from one to the other. Some are flat, some uphill, some down, some longer some shorter some bigger or smaller. Spray paint a bullseye on the bag too. If you hang 5 targets and reverse the course, (shoot coming and going), that give you 10 different shots. Cheap targets too.

I guess I'm a little nutty about this. But it's fun.

sam

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
get yourself a burlap (feed bag) and fill it with rags or cotton will stop field points with two finger removal. When the burlap wears out just slide another one over it and you are good to go another 1000 shots..........James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline crunch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Thanks Guys,

Lots of great ideas.

Bob

Offline radar3321

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
i have been using a big card board box filled with news paper and grocery bags it seems to be holding up great for the about 500 arrows i have put through it so far. PLus when it gets to worn out to stop them just put make another one. I dont think i have a penny into this idea. its just about a weeks worth of newspapers and grocery bags packed inside a box. just my two cents

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
Cardboard is great and weathers better than you would think. I have a spray can of 3M glue and when the cardboard is shot out, I just get another piece of cardboard and glue it over the old one or a piece of carpet and you're good to go for a thousand arrows again.

Offline Jeff U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
Depending on your space, a big pile of dirt will also work.

I have a mulch pile that is made up of leaves, grass clippings, etc... that has been in my back for years so now is just a big pile of dirt.

I use magnus blunts.  They fly as well as field points but will not penetrate the pile too deep.  Field points will allow the arrow to completely disappear into the pile.  

A leaf, stick, piece of wood laid on the side of the pile make for good cheap targets.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©