3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Re-water proofing boots  (Read 2618 times)

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re-water proofing boots
« on: January 09, 2007, 07:19:00 AM »
I have two favorite pairs of hunting boots, one non insulated hiker style lightweight, and one 8 inch with light insulation.  Both claim to be waterproof, and used to be.
I have used the spray silicone (Camp Dry?), and it only lasted a little while.
What do you use to keep your feet dry, or is it time for new boots?
Thanks, Dan

Offline 2 dogs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Re-water proofing boots
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 07:23:00 AM »
if you can get your hands on some bear grease it will kepp them soft and dry.best stuff i ever found but around here nobody wants to part ways with it.

Online Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 07:41:00 AM »
If they're leather use Montana Pitch Blend.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 08:28:00 AM »
I always faithfully gave mine a good silicone spray soaking before, and midway through the season. They stayed dry until the soles were gone. I'd second the bear grease but, like 2dogs says, try to get your hands on some.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Old Ways

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
I render the tallow each year from at least one deer and use it to keep my leather boots waterproof. If I know I'll be walking in water I put it on heavy. Not too pretty that way but it works good.
"You dishonor an animal if you take it's spirit without knowing  and respecting the way it lived."

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »
I have tried a bunch of different waterproofing stuff.

I really like the Danner three step system. It's a little expensive but works.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »
I use mink oil  on leather, one coat last all year.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
So far, 5 different answers from 5 people!!  
Well, I didn't render tallow from a deer, and no bear would volunteer his grease.
Where do you get Montana pitch blend and Danner system?  I think I know where I can get mink oil.
Thanks for the replies.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 09:39:00 AM »
I've tried the montana pitch but found it to be rather sticky.

Here is the Danner system:
 http://www.danner.com/category/bootmaker+workshop/boot+care.do

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
Leather or something else?

If they are leather, two or three applciations of mink oil and discreet use of the wife's blow dryer will tighten them right up for you.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Panzer I

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
I 'll 2nd the Montana Pitch Blend. I love the stuff and my Danners like it to.

Offline GBTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »
This past year I used mink oil and it softened the leather. BUT the leather got all cut up walking in the rocks. Do any of these compounds stiffen the leather? It sounds odd asking but you know what I mean?

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »
I clean my all leather boots off with a little dish soap and warm water rinse. I dry thouroughly on my boot dryers (they use a low heat and it will take a day or maybe two). Next, since they're already warm, I'll add the boot grease of my choice (all the above are good recommendations) and let it soak in for a day or two. Then I'll reapply another application and let it soak in again and they're ready for the season.

Clean, warm with gentle low heat, apply, allow to soak in and repeat application and heat. Good luck.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
Any oil or grease application is going to soften leather.  You are working collagen back into a hide, after all.

Pitch or tar would probably stiffen it, I imagine.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 03:22:00 PM »
I also have to ask what your boots are made of, but if they are leather, i would highly suggest Snow Seal.  i have tried it all, ok, almost all, i havent used Bear fat, and it works the best.  googel snow seal and you will get the company and its adds.

I would also suggest that your feet, and what you wear on them, can make or break your outdoor expierences.  i spend all day on my feet for work and then spend most of my spare time hiking, hunting, or any other outdoor thing i can find time for.  i am not sure of the current count but i own between 40 and 50 pairs of boots, (boots use to be a nickname i aquired in one of my offices) everything from light hikers to winter pack boots.  

lets say you bought one pair of boots for early season; warmish weather, one for midseason; say a 600 gram insulation equivalent and a late season boot (pac style) it would be one of the best investments you could possible expense.  ok, so most of you are thinking, thats a lot of money in boots, and i agree.  i most often use a pair of  Cabela's Mountain Hunters with 400 grams of insulation.  i sweat a little in the warm weather and use artic shield over boots in the cold.  

all of this said, a good pair of insulated rubber boots are fantatic for all seasons when it comes to whitetail hunting.  

man, my fingers hurt from all that typing.  good luck.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  
Both pairs are suede type leather lowers and some type of fabric uppers.  Light weight hiking pair is made by Rocky, has (had) AquaGuard.  I guess that is generic goretex?
I don't care if treatment changes the look of the suede, deer blood has already done that.
I do have some great pac style boots, and also some Artic Shield covers, but rarely use them in GA.
Again, thanks.  Dan

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
Clean them off with saddle soap follow the Dir. on the can. The i like mink oil. Has lanolin in it keeps the leather from cracking.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
I wouldn't use sno-seal or any other chemical smelling product, as there is too much of a chance it will spook game. I like the Montana pitch blend...rub it it and use a blow dryer...it has a more natural pine smelling odor. If you're not using the boots to hunt in then the sno-seals/etc are ok.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »
Sno-seal is good stuff. It does have a slight smell but I havent had a problem with it spooking deer. You should be able to find it at the local department store.
 Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
Funny this topic should come up, I recently met a 3rd generation boot maker from one of the most respected boot makes around on my trip to Idaho.... here is a link to their page click "boots" then click "boot care" really great info on taking care of leathe  or any boots and what to use to treat them....Highly recommended

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©