3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lets talk about rubber boots....  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Lets talk about rubber boots....
« on: July 21, 2010, 03:29:00 AM »
I have never used them......but would like to.  However, I have a narrow heal, and 'slip in/pull on' boots never worked for me for long hikes.  

Is there such a boot that would work, or will I need  a boot just for 200 yard walks into deer stand and just wear my regular boots the rest of the time?

Thanks in advance for any info.....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BigJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets talk about rubber boots....
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 03:43:00 AM »
Bass Pro has a pair I want to try. They slip on but have a zipper in the front to make them snug on your leg. Can't remember the name but a friend of mine has a pair and he says they support your ankle real well. Another plus for me here in Mississippi is they are snake proof. Hope this helps, John
"I gotta go my meds are kicking in"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 03:45:00 AM »
What is the name of the Bass Pro model?

Thanks.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 05:12:00 AM »
I like the Kenetreks rubber bottom leather upper. Soft rubber is dead quite in the woods and they are a perfect fit out of the box.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 05:21:00 AM »
Terry do not buy anything until you try the original Lacrosse boots . The uninsulated seems to be more of an ankle boot than the others for some reason . They fit more like a lace up boot than anything I have worn and I used to wear rubber boots almost every day in the winter working . I have muck boots right now for colder weather , which are better ,BUT the Muck is no where close to the original ( tractor /Barred thread) Lacrosse . Go ahead and buy a boot Jack to pull them off with or you will hurt your back pulling them off.

We wear them here in the hills of West Virgina deer hunting and turkey hunting so they will do you right in the flat land.Been doing it for over 25 years .

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 05:54:00 AM »
Terry I have a narrow heel as well and have a hard time getting boots to fit just right.  I would recommend the LL Bean boots.  I have an uninsulated pair and they do fit pretty good with very little slipping around.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 06:15:00 AM »
Only thing I dislike about rubber type knee boots is that they always start cracking and leaking where your toes bend when you walk. At least that's been my experience. I guess I'm gonna have to spend way more than a 100 bucks on some so I won't have that problem. Or do the more expensive ones do that too?
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 06:27:00 AM »
Terry -
Muck Boots in either black or Mossy Oak. Extremely comfortable and needless to say they are not your everyday rubber boots. They are listed in the current LL Bean Hunting Catalog in sizes 7 to 14 and heights from 12" to 16".
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 06:32:00 AM »
The original LaCross boots are great. I have one pair I wear most of our season. Always hunt in rubber boots. This pair is at least twenty years old. Fit like a slipper.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 06:40:00 AM »
The Lacross Lagrange there ankle tight and comfortable to walk in.In cold weather use the Lacross alpha burly.I own both.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 06:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jack Whitmire Jr:
Terry do not buy anything until you try the original Lacrosse boots . The uninsulated seems to be more of an ankle boot than the others for some reason . They fit more like a lace up boot than anything I have worn and I used to wear rubber boots almost every day in the winter working . I have muck boots right now for colder weather , which are better ,BUT the Muck is no where close to the original ( tractor /Barred thread) Lacrosse . Go ahead and buy a boot Jack to pull them off with or you will hurt your back pulling them off.

We wear them here in the hills of West Virgina deer hunting and turkey hunting so they will do you right in the flat land.Been doing it for over 25 years .

Jack
Absolutely agreed.  My Main Hunting Shoe eats socks like they are going out of style but my Lacrosse - not a bit.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 07:26:00 AM »
Try all the Lacrosse boots.  I bet you find one you like.  I have a couple pair.  One lighter and one insulated.  My light ones have been going for so many years I am not sure what they are.  However, I think it is the Burly Air-Grip at lest they have the same tread. They are ankle-Fit design with a self-cleaning Air-Grip outsol. I get great traction in snowy or muddy;  I have had other boots with treads that look like they would be better in the slop for traction, but were not.  They also have a thin insulated layer between the rubber outer shell and the lining.  This padding makes them stay put on my foot real well for me.  I love the boot and it is a simple boot for a very reasonable price.  Tough as nails.  The neoprene upper boots cost to much for me and I don't trust the durability.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
Lacrosse Burly(un-insulated) and Alpha Burly(insulated). I have a tuff foot/ankle to fit and I used to use the Lacrosse in the Montana moutains when I was guiding. BUY A BOOT JACK WITH THEM.I would also suggest a GOOD insole of felted wool.   :D  
Chuck
(I also like the air-bob/air-grip outsole)
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 07:31:00 AM »
If you can find a pair of the 12" un-insulated 3-eye Lacrosse Hikers
give them a try.

I have worn them (or models like them)  grouse hunting for 35 years and walk in them 5-6 hours a day as many as 40 days a year following my Setters through the woods. I replace the insole with a quality running shoe insole and it makes them nearly an ideal boot for the walking hunter.

Offline CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 07:33:00 AM »
I love the Muck boots, light weight, great support, comfortable you can roll the neoprene tops down when your feet or legs get a little warm. They also have many styles to choose from!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »
Terry,like you i never used the rubber boots since 4 years ago,when I purchased some Lacrosse insulated boots that changed my life up a tree stand.Much more warm than any other boot and scent free.I like to wear them when I bait for wild boars or when I check my cameras or set tree stands.Easy on and off,don't leave a scent trail,cozy hot and pretty goog to walk around too.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
Terry, my brother had a very narrow heel, and had a heck of a time getting boots to fit comfortably. He loved the LL Bean rubber bottomed boots, because they can be bought in narrow sizes. Since they lace up, a boot jack or dislocated hip aren't part of the picture. I've been using them for decades myself.

ishoot4thrills, the rubber hasn't ever cracked on my Bean boots. I've worn out several pairs, and they typically wear through the soles without ever cracking. Bean can repair them, too.

Gingivitis, the Beans won't eat your socks if you wear two pair. I use a thin liner sock in warmer weather, and two pairs of wool socks for colder hunting. They have removable insoles that can be taken out to accommodate thicker socks.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Doug in MI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
I've owned both Lacrosse and Muck. I would go with the Lacrosee.My Muck boots are way to warm and if you have a large calf they fit to tight and rub sore spots on your claves.The neopreen tops will also snag easily on brush.
Team Hoots
Lil Hoot 55#@27
Black Widow SAIII 55#@27

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 08:14:00 AM »
I find they are not for long walks or mountains because they are heavy. I like them & wear them, mostly from bass pro. They need replacing every 2 years as they start to break down & get rips & holes.  Mike
Big Mike

Online Doc Pain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
Terry,
+1 for the Lacrosse burly's.  I like the ones with the expandable gusset top so you can tuck alot of pant leg into and cinch tight.  One thing that I would advise is to get yourself a Peet boot dryer at the same time.  If you walk in any rubber boot for any length of time your feet are gonna sweat.  I put mine on the dryer every night during hunting season.  It makes them easier to get on and off and also will help the boots last longer by taking care of the insides.  I probably spend 100 days a year in my Lacrosse's and this what works best for me.
If it isn't life or death, it's no big deal.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©