3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lets talk about rubber boots....  (Read 1207 times)

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets talk about rubber boots....
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
I have worn alot of different boots like these.  My all time favorite is Lacrosse.  I have the Burleys and Alpha Burleys.  They are by far the best hunting boots that I have ever owned.  They don't eat socks either.

Several years back, 8 or 10 maybe, they had another style I think they were called Big Boy Burleys.  The top of the boots were very large and you could tuck several layers of clothing in without being uncomfortable.  All of the Lacrosse boots have a chinch in the top for added scent control and comfort.

Love 'em.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
Terry...I too use the Lacrosse Burly's (uninsulated).  I like them very much compared to the other rubber boots I've owned.  They have a mild hiking shoe/tennis shoe style sole and configuration and fit me much better than the rest.  I have a narrow foot in total, not just heel and these worked great for me.   Good luck!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 08:31:00 AM »
Hey Terry, glad to see this posted. Been wondering about rubber myself. Not for the reasons you mention, though!

I have a pair of Burlys, bought about 7 years ago. They are a pain to get off! I have a small foot, and they fit real snugg in the ankle.  Great boot for fit and hunting, no doubt. But you need a "Puller" to get off. That can be a trick in the field, when you're trying to take 'em off to make a "quiet stalk" on a bedded deer!   :mad:  

Now mine have cracked in the past year and started to leak. 7 years worth of hard use, not bad. I would be interested in trying the Beens.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
Why don't you try a pair of Mens Totes Rubbers over your regular boots. Slip em on spray em down your good to go.

looks like you have the moves

"Terry prepares for Stalk on Hog"

Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
The totes idea is a good one. I use Lacrosse 16"er I also use ,when it's warm the cheap ones you can get at the Central Tractor store. Just plain black and the sole is pretty aggressive.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jim Dahlberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
I have used La Crosse boots for years.  They have held up well and have generally kept my feet warm.  I don't like them for long hikes.  If you are looking for scent protection and warmth I would highly recommend Baffin boots.  I have a pair of the Trappers and a pair of Titans.  They are the cat's meow for cold weather comfort and walk-ability.  With a draw string top, you can tuck your pants in easily.  Check out endless.com or zappos.com for good prices.
Neoprene topped boots don't work for scent protection if that's your goal.  Full rubber is the only thing that works for scent protection.
Baffins are now my first choice.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
I like the Northern green rubber boots with either laces or zippers .They are insulated some and very comfortable . I like them because they don't have an aggressive sole so they don't leave obvious tracks to where you're going . I had a pair of the Burlys but with my "flintstone" feet I came close to cutting them off a few times , gave them away . The Northerns are cheap and still last a few years . My two cents , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
Lacrosse is the way to go. I have owned the LL Bean boots, too much leather to spread scent around and you need to spend a half hour a day lacing and unlacing. If you have heel sizing problems Lacrosse makes the Grange boot, this is an ankle-fit design that will keep your heel planted. When the weather turns a little colder the alpha burleys are a great boot as well.

Offline rambo1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
i use the heavy lacrosse boots the extreme cold ones that are black rubber bottom leather top i inhearited them from my dad and in the early season use mucks best rubber boot ever
Black widow 2007 PSR 2 T/D recurve 60" 48#@28"
Bear kodiak hunter 1pc. 50x#@28" 60" style recurve
Kota Prairie Swift 1pc. 53#@28" 60"
Samick Leopard recurve T/D 50#@28" 60"

Offline firsted

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
Well, guys, maybe someone can give me some tips, too.  I wear 6E width shoes size 9 (hard to fit shoes other than New Balance but sure can swim!).  Anyone know of super-wide rubbers?

Thanks for any guidance,

Eddie Paulsgrove
*** Skysoldier - 1/509 ABN

--"You don't get old until your dreams are replaced by regrets"--

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
Terry I wear rubber boots all the time.Lacrosse Burly's are great for winter,the green uninsulated($40.00 I think @ Cabelas) are narrow and fit good and comfortable.I find them as comfortable as any boot and prefer to wear them over leather boots due to them being lighter in weight.And the 18" of rubber makes going through puddles and mudd easy.Cabelas shows the different tread patters for each type of boot.Irish Setter also makes a good rubber based boot.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
Another thumbs up for muck boots. Hard rubber bottom and neoprene top. Neoprene moves with your ankles well and makes so I don't feel like I am wearing ski boots. Mine are 9 years old and as good as new. like CDR I roll down the tops when it is warm outside and my feet don't get as hot as with hard topped rubber boots.

CKR
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline harvestmoon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
I have both the LL Bean Hunter and the Muck boot.  The Muck is for the colder wet weather, and the uninsulated Bean boot is for early Fall hunts.  Here in the wet woods of Qubec they fit my narrow foot real fine.  I use a felt liner in both and then bulk up with the wool socks.

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
The original LaCrosse rubber knee-high boot is a good ankle fit, as is the LL Bean boot which you can lace up to suit your foot. Muck boots run a little wider in my experience.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
You won't go wrong with LaCrosse.  Try 'em all until you find the pair that feel the best.  They seem to hold up better than most as well.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
Another fan of Muck boots. They are easy on and yet hug your leg to hold them up well. Best I have tried Terry.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
Terry, i assume your wearing the rubbers for scent control, rather than swampy areas? .. I kinda got away from them early season because any kind of extended walking really created alot of sweat,with the boots not being able to breathe, i personally think that creates even more scent coming out of the boot. i have ben using bean style boots early season with I believe good results.... I wear rubber boots now days only when in swampy areas... just my 2 cents...
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
also check out Le Chameau Boots.  Designed for upland shooting/shotgunning, they are leather-lined and very comfortable for walking.  Pricey, but defintely top of the line.
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
Terry, I have "weak" ankles, so to speak, and gave up on rubber boots. Now, I pay close attention to the sole of the boot, what its made of specifically. I only get boots with 100% rubber outsoles. I have had good success with rubber soled boots, and scent killer liberally sprayed all over my legs, feet and soles of my boots.

I could never get comfortable in the rubber muck boots. They didnt support my feet or ankles enough. I get numerous "bow close" encounters each year anyway.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
I got my first pair of Lacrosse boots this year. Non insulated and super lite.Alpha I think is the name. I love them. Don`t eat my socks and comfy. Lots better than the snake boots I`m wearing now.RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©