3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String nock 1 1/8" above level..Is this a problem???  (Read 797 times)

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String nock 1 1/8" above level..Is this a problem???
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
Seems high to me. Would almost have to hit the index finger on release which would account for the porpoise. Try to set it about 3/8 to 5/8 above the shelf and shoot split, 3 under above and below the nock with the same arrow at about 20 paces and see what the results are

If you have a  feather rest, take it off and shoot right off the shelf. Get all the variables out of the picture.

Does sound like the tiller is off however

Good luck with the new bow

Sam

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
I would start from scratch.7-8" brace and 125 up front and center for the nock and adjust from that point.could the feather rest be hitting the fletching and making the arrow kick up high? maybe try a different rest use the soft velcro instead of the feather rest.
I'm using a bear hair rest (rug rest)
I did try from a level position and worked my way up.
After I found it worked at 1 1/8" I tried putting the nock below level....just got worse.

Thank you for the input though.    :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by s_mcflurry:
Do you get better arrow flight if you shoot this bow 3 under?
Haven't tried that.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
Have you measured the tiller?
Measure from each fade to the string on both top and bottom limb and compare the numbers it should be less than 1/4" difference.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by T Folts:
Have you measured the tiller?
Measure from each fade to the string on both top and bottom limb and compare the numbers it should be less than 1/4" difference.
Do you do this at brace or full draw? Or maybe both??
I don't have a tillering "board".

I'm sorry to show my ignorance here.
Do you measure the distance horizontally as an arrow would rest? Or do you measure the actual limbs from fade to limb tips?

Thanks

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
Measure it braced. Yes the same as an arrow would rest.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
Measure it braced. Yes the same as an arrow would rest.
Just did that. Comes out to 9 3/4" at the farthest point from the string. Seems to be pretty uniform distance comparing the top and bottom limb throughout their length.

This is sort of a different design for a bow.
Hard to see where the fades exactly are.

Thank you

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
Now where the riser stops at the very tip of the fade measure out to the string on both limbs
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
I had a bow that had a over 1" high nock and the tiller of the bow was way off.It had a negative tiller instead of a 1/8" to 3/16" positive tiller.Sure sounds like the tiller is off.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
Now where the riser stops at the very tip of the fade measure out to the string on both limbs
That seems to be right at the farthest point from the string.
Both limbs are within 1/8"
top is 9 3/4"
Bottom is 9 5/8"

Thank you for the input!!   :thumbsup:

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
Sorry to be a pain inna butt, but could you post a full-draw picture?
The more I look at the bow, the more I'm convinced that the lower limb is weak. 1-1/8" is waay high. Hate to be the first to say it, but judging by Siegeworks history with customer service & workmanship reall wouldn't be at all surprised if it's not a bow problem.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:
 but judging by Siegeworks history with customer service & workmanship reall wouldn't be at all surprised if it's not a bow problem.
I hear you loud and clear on that.
I'm getting worried I might be stuck with this one.
I was promised another but we'll see.
I'll try to get a full draw pic either late tonight or in the morn.

Thanks for the help all!!
   :notworthy:

Offline Ricker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
You may want to try adding a nocking point below the arrow as well, so there are two.  Sometimes an arrow will slide down the string a bit as it is loosed.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
rob  
click on the picture, , then using your window as a light box fold it in half and do an overlay.  Doing it that way is not perfect, but it seems to show the bottom limb is pretty close in profile to the top limb.

That grip is pretty severe.  Could the way you are holding that bow be putting wierd pressure on it, making it seem out of tiller ?

Also remember that when you are measuring for nock point, when you put the bow square on the string and on the rest.. the line at the bottom of the square represents a straight line.. .  for the bottom of an arrow.

You should factor in the thickness of the arrow nock before you tie in a nock point, and that starts you at dead even.  Go up from there.

Lots of things could mess with the nock height including a very long draw length, although I see you are saying yours is 28".  You are shooting feathers and no vanes correct ?
ChuckC

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
Also.. have someone watch as you anchor.  Is your arrow arm elbow in line with the arrow or are you really high or low with the elbow. . translating to maybe uneven stress or torquing the string with your fingers.  Maybe get another person to shoot the bow in front of you and see if it does the same things for them.
ChuckC

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
So.....the bowyer said that the string could be the problem????! I've never heard of that. I think that's an excuse. I've been hearing lots of negative things about that bow company as well.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
arrows sound a little stiff.i shoot a widow plv [email protected] shoot 60 65 spine.work really good for me,but your bow is much lighter.spine may be the problem.buy an arrow test kit and try that.cheaper way to go to find out if thats the problem.lots of luck,steve

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
Can't take a pic...no camera tonight.

I did notice that the bow stacks up quicker and doesn't want to let me draw as far when I place my string hand at the 1 1/8 high position.

If I lower my string hand down the string about 3 1/2 inches the bow will let me pull another inch or so without stacking.

Seems like the upper limb is bending to it's max quite a bit sooner than the lower.

The bow feels the "sweetest" when you place the string hand directly behind the grip or just a tad lower.

If this was a 3 piece I'd think I flipped the limbs.

This bow seems to have a high shelf. Meaning it is up quite a bit from the physical center of the bow. I know a little is normal but this one seems a bit much. You can see this in the pic.

Thank you everyone!!

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2010, 03:27:00 AM »
Something is wrong with that bow............James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
I've bareshaft tuned hundreds of bows, and the only times I've seen nocking points this high was with short recurves that were designed for an elevated rest.

Also, it's possible to tune for decent arrow flight when the arrows are too weak by raising the nocking point. I suggest trying some stiffer arrows, or reduce point weight to see if that helps.

You mentioned that you didn't have the spine tuned in- you really need to get the spine right before you can get the nocking point right. If that doesn't help, I agree with James- there's something wrong with the bow.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©