3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String nock 1 1/8" above level..Is this a problem???  (Read 796 times)

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String nock 1 1/8" above level..Is this a problem???
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
My thoughts are...

1st. Don't buy a seigework's product, but you already did, so let's work with what you have,

2nd. ALMOST everyone measures tiller by looking at the "deepest part of the upper limb and lower limb," but that is incorrect. What you are looking for is the point where the limb goes from the working section to the non-working riser. By "riser" I do NOT mean the center block of wood the riser is milled from. Instead, I am referring to ALL OF the non-working portion of the bow. You have to measure from where the limb STARTS to work...hence..."FADEOUT." This is where the "riser" (non-working part of the bow) fades out to the limb (the working part of the bow).  Some bows don't have a "deep part" for example...

And, MANY BOWS have a "deep part" in the riser that is a non-working section) of the bow and has nothing to do with tiller or upper limb. Therefore this is isn't where you properly measure either. For example, if you look at this bow, you can see the "deep spot" on the lower limb is just below the grip and considerably above the fadeout, yet the upper limb doesn't have such a "hallowed" spot on the riser. This bow may "measure" an inch so of different tiller when looking at the "deepest" measurements, but if measured properly from the fadeouts it may measure even to 1/4" (depending on the design of bow and shooter)...

The proper way to measure tiller is to measure at the fadeouts.

3rd. Make sure your fletching isn't hitting the bow. For the sake of time, try shooting "cock feather in" and see what happens. If it shoots better that way, you need to turn your nocks so you don't have a feather pointed down.

4th. I suspect that if you are already that high, moving 3 under wouldn't help as that would further work the lower limb. HOWEVER, using a stick on arrow rest to raise the arrow might help a lot as that would further work the upper limb...and this is what I believe you need in this situation. Also, I suspect that if you get your hand OFF the grip and only hold the bow by the throat of the grip, that too may help a lot.

5th. I wouldn't change how I shoot to accomidate a poorly crafted bow. I wouldn't sell it either. I would either want a refund, retiller the bow myself, or I would give it away to a kid to use as a yard plinker.

Sorry...but these are my thoughts on the matter.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lee Dogman:
My thoughts are...

I would either want a refund, retiller the bow myself, or I would give it away to a kid to use as a yard plinker.

Sorry...but these are my thoughts on the matter.
Thank you for the info.
I really appreciate it.

Refund isn't going to happen.
Guy already told me " new bow in 3 weeks or I'll instantly refund your money"

It has been 5.5 weeks now. Wants more time and will not refund....Not a man of his word if nothing else.

Anyway, I didn't start this post to blast anyone.
I still have a dim glimmer of hope I might get the replacement....someday.
Just puts me in a bad spot. Do I try to fix a bad bow.
I wish I would've ordered a Maddog. I just was looking for an inexpensive decent bow.
I have never-ever had dealings with a place like this.

Thank you for the help everyone!!!
   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
If you retiller it yourself, only do so AFTER you are 100% sure the merchant won't help you...otherwise, they will use your alterations as an excuse to not stand behind their work.

Also, if you do retiller it, be sure to tiller from the working fadeouts, and not from a non-working section, as that top "hook" in the riser above the shelf doesn't appear to be working the same as the lower half.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2010, 12:21:00 AM »
Thank you for the wise thoughts on the matter.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2010, 07:06:00 AM »
I have a flat shelf Ben Pearson that has a rediculous high nock point. Even it isn't that high though. 1 1/8  would make me think you would have to hold the bow at an odd angle to get the arrow anywhere close to hitting where you want. Hmmm.....

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
Weird thing is it does shoot ok.
I can hold a decent group with it.
Just feels weird.
The top limb is maxing out and the bottom limb has a couple inches to go.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©