3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: So I've got this older custom kodiak  (Read 234 times)

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
So I've got this older custom kodiak
« on: July 21, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
All of these recent posts about old Bear bows made me go into the depths of 'the man cave'and do a little bit of tinkering.I was orginally looking for some 145 gr razerheads but somehow got sidetracked and grabbed this bow off the rack.I rescued her from an older gentleman whose name escapes me at the moment and he thought 20 bucks would cover his troubles.I was going to trade it with a friend at the Harrisburg Show back in 1994 when I walked by Ted Nugent.He started coming directly at me yelling "Hey kid get over here where did you get that bow!" and he dam near wrestled with me to see the bow.  :scared:  Anyway he went on for an hour or so  about Fred Bear and Bear archery It was quite a cool moment.The bow was no longer up for trade :readit:I'm really not sure what year she even is or really anything about her other than I've decided she has been sitting idol for far too long. She's 55# @28 Thought some of you guys might know more than me.                                                                                
Jeff Couture

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: So I've got this older custom kodiak
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
It's a Gainsville, Fl, model, not sure of the year range.  Still pretty good bows.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
That's a "green stripe" Bear takedown from the Gainesville era -- the 1980s. They are wonderful bows. There is a resurgence of interest in these bows, and for good reason. It looks to be in good condition.
I have one that is a lot like yours and it is great. It will be my primary hunting bow this season.
You have a winner there. Hang on to it (or send it to me).
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline JEJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
Hey Cooch, a Kodiak that looks that good is sure worth having to out wrestle Ted Nugent! Those Kodiaks are classics. Go shoot some arrows with her. Good story, and good pics of a great bow.  :thumbsup:    :archer2:

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
I've got some 2016's on the jigs as I type.They ought to be pretty close to the correct spine.Besides that what I found in a dusty box.
Jeff Couture

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
Is it for SALE ???? I'd be a buyer.........

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
That's the one with the really narrow grip and thick laminations....made in the early 80's in the Gainseville factory. I have one just like it with a couple of sets of Grayling limbs as well as a new set made by Kevin TerMaat at RER Bows. There are a few bowyers who make replacement limbs for those bows which comes in handy if you want to increase it's performance. I'm gonna hunt with mine this year too. It was already a nice shooter with the original limbs,...these new ones take it to another level.

Take her out...like all Bear bows she was meant to be hunted with...good luck

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
Fine Fine bow.If you want your 20 bucks back let me know. Heck I`d double it. RC

Offline newell38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
thats an early 80s bow!  i have a few just like it!  i actually like the green stripe risers better than my 70s A and B handles!
"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
Endless loop strings, heavy bows, and wood and only wood arrows...my kind of archery!

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
Nice bow.Like others said,take it out and shoot it.And hunt with it.If you ever want to sale it,I`m in line with the others.Good luck
Harold Wetzler

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »
You'll be surprised how well that bow shoots and how quiet and accurate is your early 82 Green Stripe.I get some Rose Oak aftermarket limbs and they are great, updating  in performances and shootability an already good bow.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
Hey guys thanks for the info and I'm sorry about not getting back to this earlier,Life sometimes gets in the way.I've shot her a a bunch now and was very impressed,although the long riser took a bit of adjustment.The season is a few weeks off but I'll try to get her bloody.
Jeff Couture

Offline hawk4570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
One cool bow, Yep you decide to sell I would also be a buyer. way cool
bill browning

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©