3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are You a Deer hunter or Deer Shooter ???  (Read 1095 times)

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Are You a Deer hunter or Deer Shooter ???
« on: July 22, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »
After reading in 2010 GEAR SPECIAL North American Whitetail Mag. the article by Steve Sorensen "The (Benoit) Brotherhood " What a great article we all should read. It talks about deer hunting and deer shooting. Its something we should all address to keep our sport pure. So my ??? are you a deer hunter or deer shooter ???
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are You a Deer hunter or Deer Shooter ???
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
I haven't read the article, but I would consider myself a deer hunter.  I like to make it a personal thing.  I will pick out a deer to hunt before season open, either by scouting or by game cameras, and hunt THAT deer.  I have had a year (2 years ago) that I lost   :banghead:   , but it was still fun.  He was a 145ish" 8 pt.  He stayed around my land.

One morning during rifle season he was about 60 yards or so from my front door.  My wife said, "If you want that deer so bad, just kill it now, you have a gun right there."  I had to tell her that it wasn't the same.  I keep a rifle at the front door for coyotes cutting across my pasture, but it ain't meant for deer!!

I was able to see that buck many many time through the year but never got a shot with my longbow.  He has since dissapeared.  

I guess that type of hunting attitude makes me a hunter, but when it all comes together I am a shooter.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
I've been doing this for 46 yrs. and I have to say first of all that if I didn't want to shoot something I wouldn't carry my bow when I go.  On the other hand I find my scouting, preperation, learning about this years deer movements and picking the right blind location the best part.  After a year of that having a deer come into my shooting zone is truly a thrill.  I like venison, I don't hunt to eat.  I like big antlers, I don't hunt for horns.  I practice good conservation, I don't "harvest" my deer.  I usually fill my tags, but I don't have to.  I don't "drop the hammer on deer", "slam them", "smoke them" or cry in my blind after shooting one.  I hunt deer.

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
For the past few years I've been a deer watcher.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
LOL JC, I kill a lot of deer and give away or donate most of them, but I would carry a gun if I were a shooter, or a wheelie bow. Even during firearm season I will bowhunt, or carry a trad muzzleloader to keep it more personal.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
I go hunting to see some deer or any other game that I can. If the chance for a shot comes up, that's a bonus........haven't had many bonuses.I went to Ill. last year and in 3 days saw some deer and 4 TROPHY bucks [140-160 class],all were 40-50 yards away but it was a fantastic time. Maybe I have become a deer watcher also....lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by longbowman:
I don't "harvest" my deer.  I usually fill my tags, but I don't have to.  I don't "drop the hammer on deer", "slam them", "smoke them" or cry in my blind after shooting one.  I hunt deer.
:laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:  

Harvesting is for corn!! If I cried, I'd quit!!
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline AZ_Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
I am definitely a deer hunter, especially in AZ.  You have to WORK to get your deer with a bow here, but even then I don't shoot the first legal deer that I see.

Offline trapperzeke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by longbowman:
I've been doing this for 46 yrs. and I have to say first of all that if I didn't want to shoot something I wouldn't carry my bow when I go.  On the other hand I find my scouting, preperation, learning about this years deer movements and picking the right blind location the best part.  After a year of that having a deer come into my shooting zone is truly a thrill.  I like venison, I don't hunt to eat.  I like big antlers, I don't hunt for horns.  I practice good conservation, I don't "harvest" my deer.  I usually fill my tags, but I don't have to.  I don't "drop the hammer on deer", "slam them", "smoke them" or cry in my blind after shooting one.  I hunt deer.
Except for the part about usually filling my tags, I couldn't say it any better!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
I don't understand the question.....

I HUNT deer.....then I SHOOT em....   :biglaugh:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
As I havent read the article I cant say for sure I have a firm grasp on the meaning of your question, I have read some articles with the Benoit family as the subject though.  

I dont pick out a specific deer for my efforts ahead of the season, I dont dedicate my every waking moment to the pursuit of a single animal if that is what you are getting at.  

I do spend a great deal of time in advance of season preparing my gear and my hunting locations. I do practice restraint when I hunt letting the smaller bucks walk on by none the wiser.  Im there to be part of the experience, to learn what I can from whatever happens on that particular hunt.  When things go right I do kill a deer and most often it is a nice buck.

Now I dont know what you or the Benoits might consider to be a hunter versus a shooter but I do know I dont hunt in the same area with the Benoits or have their exact circumstances.  I dont publish my hunting efforts to fund my hunting efforts.  I dont have unlimited time to scout and hunt.  I dont think my methods or my morality while hunting should absolutely apply  to everyone everywhere.

Simply put if I had to say why I hunt its because I love every aspect of hunting including shooting.  Im a hunter and I only have myself to judge my methods and my ethics.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
Yep.

Why does it have to be black and white? Why does it have to be one way or the other?
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
I like to shoot them. Then hunt em..lol

but really.. I wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't for the HUNT.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
Last year I was a deer misser....They were completely safe if I was shooting at them(even at close range)!

#$%^ BUCK FEVER!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
Oh Gosh !

I am many things to many people.  Very deep.  Very complex. Ever changing and evolving.

As in a certain movie. ...  I am a dream to some. . .  and a nightmare to others !
ChuckC

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
Both,

First I enjoy the hunt for them and then I shoot them.  The hunt is the fun part that builds up to the conclusion which is meat on my table.

They are one and the same to me.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
I have not read the artical but I think longbowman sums it up pretty good. I enjoy the whole proscess of the hunt. Some years I'm a killer other years it's hard times but my mind is always in prosute of the hunt year around.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
I enjoy it all, the prep work, time hunting, the grattitude for the deer I and the wife kill, and for the fellow ship we share with our friends and each othe while doing it. Also, I really, really, really, like the cooking and eating part, excuse me gotta go get a tenderloin out of the freezer to thaw for supper tonight!
samuel koger

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
I like to hunt, and I like to kill.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
I like to hunt deer,and I like to shoot deer so I guess I qualify as both.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©