3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are You a Deer hunter or Deer Shooter ???  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are You a Deer hunter or Deer Shooter ???
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
I think Terry hit the nail on the head. If you use a bow, it seems to me, that you MUST hunt in order to shoot anything on a regular basis. I really can't see how you can separate the two activities unless you are a sniper with a gun that mostly just waits for a shot or as I have seen on some of the more recent outdoor shows, guys shooting magnum loads at animals at distances of several hundred yards. To  me, that style of hunting is a misnomer...it is shooting...not unlike how they shoot prairie dogs in the western states.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
I enjoy the hunting them part, the shooting them part and the eating them part. I am really not so crazy about the gutting them and dragging them a long ways parts, but enjoy the other 3 parts enough to make up for it. I also like to share my venison with non hunting friends and donate to the local food pantry. I shot 2 does to give away with a muzzleloader last year. Not very exciting to me. At this point in my life gun hunting is just grocery shopping with a nice view.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by longbowman:
 I like venison, I don't hunt to eat.  I like big antlers, I don't hunt for horns.  I practice good conservation, I don't "harvest" my deer.  I usually fill my tags, but I don't have to.  I don't "drop the hammer on deer", "slam them", "smoke them" or cry in my blind after shooting one.  I hunt deer.
I wish I could say it better than that, but I just can't, my thoughts exactly.  Well put.

The only difference is the part about "I usually fill my tags"...that is where we differ...  :archer:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
I love to hunt'um. Preparation is the the name of the game if your going to consistany get close(20yds. or less). I love the prep work, but I really love it when everything comes together and I get that killing shot. Nothing better then eating prime venison that you've earned by the sweat of your brow.  :archer2:

Offline Cody Schnettgoecke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
I shoot deer because I hunt them.

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
Thanks Guys... If you have the chance read the article and then you see better why I ask??? By the way I have been a "DEER HUNTER" for a long time. Yes I shoot deer but thats at the very end of the hunt. I think the article shows how most of us feel about hunting. Lets teach it to the Young hunters. Its about the fun of it isn't it !!
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
I'm in the woods yr round and have plenty of time to locate good spots. So I always hunt over big buck sign..unless I'm in a lazy mood and don't won't to walk far. Then I'll hunt the edge of soybean or corn field trying to catch a doe coming in to feed.

Otherwise I always hunt where I find the biggest rubs. Then I'll shoot whatever I'm in the mood to long as it's legal.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
I am both. I hunt them and if my efforts reward me with a shot opportunity, I will shoot it.
bolong

Offline DaxE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
Maybe the difference is people who hunt for sport and people who shoot for food?

I know a couple of guys that 95% of the meat they eat is shot or caught. And one of them don not seem to enjoy it as much as it is just part of life for him.

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
I live for the moment of truth......that moment when all your time practicing in the back yard all summer long gets tested, when you get to test out the angle you positioned your tree stand at to get the perfict shot, when you get to see if all your time spent sharpening your broadhead realy makes it so the deer dosnt even feel it, you get to see if the new fletching you picked out help you fallow the arrow to the target in low light ...................................................... OH IM DEFFINATLY A.......hhhmmmm.......

I Guess Im Both  :thumbsup:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »
I think about anyone hunting with a stickbow has progressed to a hunter, unless of course you sit over a baitpile, then it kinda turns into deer shooter, JMO.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
If we didn't like to hunt, but only the 'shooting' part, we probably wouldn't be carrying stick bows. I could go out with a rifle and shoot a deer in an hour or two; that would give me no challenge and no satisfaction. To me, it's all about the hunt; the persuance of game, watching them, stalking them, enjoying the outdoors. The shooting part is fun, but is not as important as the 'hunt'. For several years, I didn't 'shoot', but went out and 'hunted', stalking and taking pictures. To me, that wasn't the whole package, and that is why I came back to bowhunting. When I'm in the woods with bow in hand, with the chance to kill an animal, the package is more complete.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
"At this point in my life gun hunting is just grocery shopping with a nice view."
 Very well put !
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
This is very interesting... I'm learning a bunch about Hunters on here. Not to many Deer shooters (Maybe there not typing) I'd just like to see more fun put back into hunting. Don't get me wrong ..theres nothing wrong if your a deer shooter. But I'd like to be truthful on where the sport of hunting is going. Are we just a bunch of People sitting around in our warm camo or are we out putting tracks in the dirt and snow. Is instant gradification ...the way to go.Or is time, patiance, and hard work a better prouder way?  I'm glad most of you pick the "hard Way" !!! Nice to see !
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
i hunt deer but not alot only when i need meat. somtimes it happens somtimes it dont so if ya call this deer hunting i guess this is what i do, so what ever it is its fun!! did i say fun  :laughing:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
Next time I go hunting I will think about this before I shoot.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by randy grider:
I think about anyone hunting with a stickbow has progressed to a hunter, unless of course you sit over a baitpile, then it kinda turns into deer shooter, JMO.
Does this include baiting hogs as well.A hog shooter!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
I have to think I'm more of a shooter. I live for the shot. The moment in time that the whole world blures over and all I see is the tiny spot I want my arrow to hit. All the time scouting and hunting is just the build up to the monent I turn a arrow loose and watch it hit where I will it to. I get just as excited making a shot on a doe or hog as I do on a big Buck so I guess for me...I'm in it for the shooting

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
I am with Terry G.
"I hunt 'em.......then when in range I shoot them!"

chris <><

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
I'm both.  It is definitely fun to hunt a specific animal and kill him in his home environment. Now I have a question.  What would you call a person that bragged he had killed 32 deer in a single season? He is now an exmember~

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©