3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Cam Pics (Somebody Killed a Bear!!) Pics on Pg. 6  (Read 3365 times)

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Cam Pics (Somebody Killed a Bear!!) Pics on Pg. 6
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
Here is her hide draped over my deep freeze being guarded by 2 of my little girls.

Here is a picture showing how long she was for perspective.  Right at 65" tail to nose.

Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
Brian,  Great pictures.  We start baiting in a couple of weeks for the end of June Quebec hunt.  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
Thanks Doc.

I can't wait to get the knives you sent!!!  Good luck on your hunt.
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2007, 01:53:00 AM »
Had some backstrap grilled to well done on the grill tonight with a bit of Barbeque sauce and it was GOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!  After I freeze it for a month to make sure the parasites are a non issue, I look forward to having some cooked a tad less than well done.  MMMMMM GOOOOD!!!

I will NEVER understand why so many people think bear does not taste good.  It is actually some of my favorite wild game.  I think it is just a mental block, kind of like I have with Possum!!  LOL!!!  Have you ever seen a possum crawl out of the south side of a north facing dead bloated cow??????  If you have, you understand my mental block, if not you do now.  LOL!!!!

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline Bowshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
65" is a pretty good bear Brian, I have measured a few, most are in the 59-62" range nose to tail. Have you green scored the skull for interest. I have a number wrote down just for kicks, see how close I am.
Feeding again tomorrow, hopefully whacking one on Wed night. Good luck with your bow.
Terry

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2007, 03:04:00 PM »
Terry,

I don't know how to measure a bear for skull score.  I am just a dumb American afterall.  LOL!!!

Tell me how to measure and I will.  I hope you get one Wednesday.

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »
When are you heading back out Brian?
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
Tomorrow and Tuesday I will be out there.  I hope the big fellow that has been leaving me HEAPING piles of enormous scat and making BIG tracks shows up one of the next two days while I am there.  

Terry,

The best I can tell from my uneducated mesuring is between 16.5-17".  She is a good bit smaller than I plan on drawing the string on tomorrow.  The girls had a ball helping me skin her.  LOL!!!

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »
the bear skull is measured by adding the width to the length- in inches. You want to therefore be careful not to break the rather thin bone around the eye socket. If you get close to 18 inches; which is the p&y minimum; then get it scored.
 I heard once - long ago in the last century; that only about 5% of P&Y bears were sows.
 I shot a sow that was offically weighed over 600 pounds; and it was a 6 plus footer; but she only scored 16 and something.
  Your daughters are so cute! must be nice to have little angels around  :)  
   And about the demeanor of the bear; they do get territorial - and they will defend their territory. Although they can look like they are pretty harmless and dimwitted at times- they are animals that live partially: by killing other things.
  I have had hunters walk under my stand and stop and talk; and not be aware of me. More than once I asked them to move on - so they wouldn't scent up the area; and not even in one case did they look up and see me.
  I really wonder - after looking back at the photos- if the bear knew you were there all along; and finally got sick of you coming into her territory? 7 feet gives a good angle; but most bears that know the motive of humans on bait piles- would not fall for a 7 foot stand; they would see or smell you you and not come in. I wonder if this bear was really being aggressive all along to you ?
  I would hate for the bear to have completed its charge.. !!
   Hey and thanks for the wonderful visual on the oppossum  :(        LOL
   I like bear meat too; unless they are eating fish; in which case; they taste horrible. I have heard ( do a lot of that ) that grizzlies that live where they don't depend on fish taste good; but that brown and grizzlies eating off fish runs taste bad.
  I had not heard about the freezing trick with the meat. Bear meat can be sooooo good  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
Well I am heading back out today.  Pics to follow, I hope!

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2007, 01:26:00 AM »
Well, at about 7:30 tonight the BIG sow with "FOUR" cubs came in.  It was a circus for a while.  Momma would circle us in the bush and get a little closer each time she came by the stand.  I knew if she got much closer, it might get ugly, so the next time she left the barrel and the FOUR cubs  and got a good ways away in the bush, I woofed about 6 times and those cubs almost came unglued getting out of there.  We waited about 30 minutes and when they hadn't returned yet, we decided it was time to head for the truck.  We walked out on pins and needles.  That sow is a TANK!!!  I got some video with my phone of the cubs eating and fighting a bit as well.  LOL!!!  I sure hope I don't run into her and the brood again on friday.

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »
Never a dull moment!! Exciting stuff. You sure are seeing a lot of bears and having action every night(whether some of that action is wanted or not;) Looking forward to your friday hunt. Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
I added the videos to a new thread entitled Bear Cub Videos.  Here is a pic though.

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline styckbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »
Great storys Brian and awesome pics you are making me jealous I almost want to drive up and join you but I don't think I'm quite well enough yet. Thank goodness you wern't hurt looks like you're having a lot of fun and I can't wait to hear the stories in person in August. Delin
Walk tall as the trees,live strong as the mountains,be gentle as the spring winds, keep the warmth of the summer sun in your heart and the Great Spirit will always be with you.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
Delin,

If you feel up to it, get in the car.  I am going out by about 1:00pm on friday.

I hope to make it to the Jamboree for at least friday night and saturday morning.

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline styckbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »
Great news my wife has said I can come up so if you don't mind the company I'll be up on friday. Could you e-mail me your address and directions to your house at [email protected] and a list of any thing you think I might need other than regular hunting gear I'll see you friday Delin
Walk tall as the trees,live strong as the mountains,be gentle as the spring winds, keep the warmth of the summer sun in your heart and the Great Spirit will always be with you.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
Delin,

Email Sent!!!  I look forward to it.  Just so you know, I was needing someone I could outrun to hunt with me, so if you don't mind wear HEAVY shoes.  LOL!!!

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »
Brian it would be better if he just kept a 50lb pack of bait on his back!

Brent

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »
Don't worry, he will get to do that to.  You have to pay to play.  LOL!!!

I ran into a bear the first night I baited while carrying a little over 100#'s of bloody meat on my back.  That will get your heart beating.

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2007, 03:58:00 PM »
 I ran into a bear the first night I baited while carrying a little over 100#'s of bloody meat on my back. That will get your heart beating.
:D    :pray:
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©