3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New to me Habu pics  (Read 529 times)

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
New to me Habu pics
« on: July 22, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
I have been wanting to try one of these for a long time, just never found one I liked in wood choices. Until now, found this one on another site and just had to buy it. Not in my hands yet but she is a beauty.

Zebrawood riser and lams,64",55#@28"

"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to me Habu pics
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
That is a sharp looking stick Danny!  Good for you!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
Is that an R1 Danny?
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
Chuck,

On the riser it says "Habu WZ", it is a recurve.

I do not know what "R1" means

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
I don't either. what does WZ stand for?
Mine says HABU R1 and is a recurve also. If you need another let me know. 53#@28"
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
I think the WZ has something to do with it being made out of zebrawood and maybe wenge for the riser point accents, not sure just know it is a beauty and hope it shoots well for me. Of course it could mean "Wild Zebrawood" for all I know, LOL, no , do not need another.

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
I may spoil your theory but mine is brown action wood,   :dunno:   Have fun shooting it. they work good.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
IMO, this design was the best shooting bow Chris has ever made, bar none. I had a couple like it...one grey laminate and one brown laminate. Both were tack drivers and very stable and accurate bows, but a tiny bit noiser than I like. They were not noisy as far as recurves go, but I have primarily been a longbow shooter, and like whisper quiet bows. Back when he made mine, they only cost around $650-675 or so new. I don't remember exactly. Times have changed as he now charges about $1000 more than that and I don't believe his newer designs are as forgiving as this bow's design was. I suspect you will be very happy with it.

I don't remember exactly, but I think B1 (or R1 or whatever letters he used) stood for brown laminates, and G1 or R2 (whatever he used) stood for grey laminated maple, then he also had a camo (mult-colored laminate), and later he expanded into the zebra woods, bocote, and cocobollo...which he used other designations for. I am sure the "Z" in the WZ does indeed in some way stand for zebra wood, but I would be surprised to hear that he used wenge (which is a black and dark brown wood). I believe the "points" on all his risers were fiberglass, and not of wood. I could of course be mistaken about that though. The center of your riser and the "fadeout" material in your limbs appear to be of walnut color so I wonder if that is what the "W" stands for.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
You are probably correct Lee. You say "Back when he made mine", how old do you think this bow is? No big deal, just wondering. I believe I will be the third owner of this bow.

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
Danny,   That bow is a tack driver.  Shot it a few times when Jan brought it to trad night at our local range.  If it were a little bit lighter draw you wouldn't have got it.  LOL   Jan takes super care of his equiptment and you won't be disappointed.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
I bought a grey Habu from Lee back in 90s...then promptly fell in love with the bow but hated the color so ordered a brown one just like it in 1998...took deliver in 1999.

My says Habu B1 which was for Brown....I think the next series is where he started including exotic woods instead of just the laminated action woods....so around 2000+ he went to the others like Lee mentioned....same bow setup just exotic woods offered.

My Habu is a sweet shooter...

SN 94199      B1

You will love it...I think mine was like $700 back then....not sure the new ones are twice or three times as good to tell you the truth.  They were already so smooth drawing and great shooters.

Lee...do you still shoot the Senteman Moosejaw?

Habu B1 made 1999  

If you look on bottom of riser end...the number will tell you the year it was made...if he is sticking to the old logging...mine is 91499...made in 1999
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
I think he made those bows from around 1995-2002, but I am not sure on the exact dates.

I have owned two of his recurves one brown and one grey. I forgot about owning the grey one, but I do remember that I didn't like the grey as much as the brown. I just couldn't remember owning one until Ron mentioned that he got it from me. LOL. Loosing my memmory of details as I age I guess.

I also owned one of his "vemon" longbows. It too was an excellent shooter, but it had some handshock. He stopped making that bow I think less than a year after its introduction and went to a death adder. I never owned a deather adder or shot one. I have shot the vyperkahn though. I think the original habu recurve, like the one above, was his all around best bow.

Ron, Yes...I do still shoot Moosejaw bows but I have encountered a problem. I only have 2 right handed ones and I am switching to left handed. Unfortunately for me, Gary is no longer making bows so I haven't been able to find a replacement just yet. I have been disapointed with several bows recently in the switching over process as I DEMAND that a bow be able to bareshaft. I have actually taken my right handed moosejaws and right handed HH Big Five and successfully bareshafted them shooting off my hand on the opposite side of the riser, but still haven't been able to find a bow of another manufacture that I can bareshaft with. I don't think I am asking too much, so I am currently in the process of learning how to make a bow for this very reason. Guess what my design is like (with some minor alterations). Wish me luck.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
Well I just looked at mine again, I was mistaken as it says HABU B1. Made in July 2000. They have an 18" riser vs. 16" riser that he uses now. Mine looks just like Brock's.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
Awesome wood in that one! Sweet!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
WZ = Wazup!

WZD = Wazupdog!
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
origannly posted by raging water:

WZ = Wazup!

WZD = Wazupdog!............  :D    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :D
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
Danny, I saw that bow too and very nearly bought it.  You're going to love it.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
I thought you were broke. All that head banging about Chris Surtrees bow. LOL
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
If you don not like it, send it to me.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
Danny, did you get the Acadian yet?  BILL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement