3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5" 4 fletch  (Read 357 times)

Offline mathews4ever

• Trad Bowhunter
5" 4 fletch
« on: July 22, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
I am getting ready to fletch up my first set of proper trad arrows and they are going to be 4 fletch shield cut feathers. I really want to do 5" feathers beacuse they look cooler but I am concerned that that large of a feather might work against me in a 4 fletch setup. My max range for hunting is 18-20 yards and the shafts that I am using are the Beman MFX Max4.
"when a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is twenty feet closer to god." -Fred Bear-

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5" 4 fletch
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
That might hamper speed, point of impact, etc. That much feather will slow the arrow down. Im not familiar with those shafts, but if they are skinny, you might not even be able to fit four properly...

Im sure someone who knows will chime in. Just some of my experience with four fletch.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
At 20 yards lots of fletching will only help you out by controlling the arrow quicker.  You won't see significant velocity loss due to more fletching area until you hit around 30 yards with your shots.  

I would look at using 4 - 4 inch fletching.  4 - 4 inch fletch have an equivalent surface area to 3 - 5 inch fletch.  They exert the same control over the arrow.  

I personally use 4 fletch so I don't have to worry about how I nock my arrows.  Plus I like how they look. I am putting 4 fletch on 500 spine Easton Epic Shafts.  You just don't put a ton of helic on the fletch and they fit just fine.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline DaxE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
Yeah I think the 4-5" is a bit much would look at the 4-4". When I was still shooting compounds I used 4 fletch for awhile for the same reasons as Rag mentioned, easier knocking.

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
You can definately put four 4" feathers on a MFX shaft.  I have done it with my bitz jig.  If you want four 5"feathers fletch one and see how it works.  I would guess at 20 yards and less you won't see much of a difference, at longer distances I am guessing it will really slow down.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
I have to say, I'm happy enough with 4, 5-inch feathers that I don't feel the need to switch back to 4x4. Out to 25 yards, I don't really notice much difference. I just like the extra feather...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline mathews4ever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
Those are the answers that I expected. I knew that 4" would provide better speed at longer ranges but knowing that I am going to only shoot 20 yards I might give the 5" a go and see how it does. Bowspirit is having good luck with a 4X5 setup, so at least I won't be alone.

My only concern when making this thread was that I would see flight issues at or below 20 yards. That doesn't seem to be the case. Good thing is I have superhuman self control. If you don't beleave me I can show you my unfilled tags from last year   :biglaugh:
"when a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is twenty feet closer to god." -Fred Bear-

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
I have fletched 4-5" feathers and 3-5" feathers on the same spine arrows and could not tell a difference at 20 yds.They grouped together,like said it will make a difference further out.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 06:29:00 PM »
My experience is about the same as JRY's.  I shot 4x5" on my woods for several years.  All I noticed was that they shot great.

If you are well tuned, it is more feather than you need, but it's not going to cause any issues, either.  Better a little extra than not enuf.   :archer:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
Personally, I think it's completely unnecessary to use that much feather on a well-tuned arrow. If you need that much feather to steer your arrows even with large broadheads, you have some serious tuning to do and you're only covering up the problem instead of making it better   ;)   You're giving up velocity even at 20 yards. I use 4-4" fletch, since I think smaller feathers cut through the wind better...I may even use 3" feathers this year.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
I have used 4 5" before, and love how they look and preform.  I did it more to be different, and loved the change.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline hawk4570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
4 5s work very well for me
bill browning

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
Been using 4x5" feathers since Hector was a pup. Let me respond to a few things I've seen here.

On a well tuned arrow, they DO help when steering large broadheads.

The size and number of feathers also affects the overall stability of the arrow...all the way from the bow to the target.

It almost takes a steel post to deflect one with 4x5" and you can be assured that the arrow will be flying in perfect attitude when it hits an animal (thus enhancing penetration).

Speed loss at 20 yards is negligible. I'll trade a couple FPS of speed for stability any day. It may be different for a target shooter, but this is about hunting arrows.... right?

I've never had a problem fletching 4x5" on any shaft.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline mathews4ever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
Any doubts I had just went out the door. If Charlie Lamb says go for it then I am going for it.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
Any doubts I had just went out the door. If Charlie Lamb says go for it then I am going for it.
One of the reasons that made esperimenting with 4x5 so easy...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
Been using 4x5" feathers since Hector was a pup. Let me respond to a few things I've seen here.

On a well tuned arrow, they DO help when steering large broadheads.

The size and number of feathers also affects the overall stability of the arrow...all the way from the bow to the target.

It almost takes a steel post to deflect one with 4x5" and you can be assured that the arrow will be flying in perfect attitude when it hits an animal (thus enhancing penetration).

Speed loss at 20 yards is negligible. I'll trade a couple FPS of speed for stability any day. It may be different for a target shooter, but this is about hunting arrows.... right?

I've never had a problem fletching 4x5" on any shaft.
What Charlie said....and...and Charlie...me thinks Hector is still a pup(18 years old)...and aint kilt enough to know for sure about fletches in real hunting scenarios.

I also use 4-5" fletch.  Been using it for years now after, moving from 3 -5.5s for the 'no look nock'.  You think my arrows are SLOW because of that?  NOPE.  You think my arrows have serious tuning issues???...NOPE.  

I can tell you one thing for SURE....

I NEVER have to worry what head, or how much rain, or how much mud, or how much cant, or how much reverse cant, or what contorted position I'm forced into, or any other thing that can happen in the woods while hunting with MY feather choice.

There's 12 rows of 3-5 arrows per row on this display I have in my office of some of my special hero arrows that have all killed animals....and they are all either 3-5.5s or 4- 5 inch fletch.....so please, if you don't really hunt much, and you really never kilt much, don't go telling me and guys like Charlie that they don't work.....Sorry, but there's a lot of miss information being put out as of late by folks with basically little or no experience.

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
I asked you nicely Hector.....you should have listened.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »
I myself like a lot of feather on my arrows..
The reason being is that when I have bad form or don't come to full draw on moving targets the arrows cleans it self up.. I also find the bigger the feather the better.. I have never shoot short feathers and don't think I ever will.. I just made up some new arrows for this up coming season that have 3 6inc feathers and have a high back ( like Hill's arrows)

Best Guys,

Cody R
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©