3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who has shot Ribteks, and what do you think?  (Read 442 times)

Offline GREATBROWNKNOCKEMDOWN

• Trad Bowhunter
Who has shot Ribteks, and what do you think?
« on: July 22, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
Happened to be at the archery club last night and was talking to one of the guys about wanting to try hunting with them, just so happens he has alot of them, and offered me as many as i wanted. He said they are good heads and that he killed many animals with them. so just wanted to hear others experiences with them.
Big River 1pcs longbows 60 47@26
Big River 2pcs longbow 62in 50@26
Big River Flatbow 60in 57@26
Dave Ricke Recurve 60in 47@26
WISCONSIN TRADITIONAL ARCHERS
Neosho Archers

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who has shot Ribteks, and what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
A lot of people love these heads, but I myself am not a fan of the ribtek. I have seen many that are difficult to mount straight and also the "ribbed" ferrel isn't as smooth or friction free as would be a taperred ferrel...therefore it is more likely to hang on bone or reduce overall penetration. It would be fine as a small game head though.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
They are a worthy head.  I personally don't think the ribbed ferrule feature causes any real concern on most game.  They are pretty sturdy, sharpen easily and well, and are cheap.

Try em.  you might like em
ChuckC

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
I like the 190's and have taken deer with them, but the lighter heads I tried, around 140 I think, wouldn't line up straight. I had no problem with penetration with the 190's.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
I like them.  Killed my first deer with them--nicked a rib going in and going out, arrow went at least 7 5/8" into the dirt (shooting from a stand) after passing through the deer.  I say "at least", because that was the last place I say dirt when I got the arrow home and measured--it may have gone deeper.  No problems here with mounting them straight or getting excellent arrow flight.  One of the easier heads to sharpen in my experience.  Gobs of really big game has been killed with them, especially in Australia where they originated.

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
good heads, sharpen great. Getting tip to line up may mean cleaning any burr off the tip. Careful grind on the shaft helps. The ribs should fill with hot melt or epoxy, that settles penetration issues. Had good luck with them. They are tough heads.
chrisg

Offline JEJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
Rafael, nice of your buddy at the archery club to offer, and I say go for it. Got Ribteks on my hunting arrows, and they have worked OK for me. Like chrisg said, hot melt glue fills up the "ribs" so as the Australians say "no worries mate"!  :archer2:

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
If he has 190s I'd consider buying some.  Let me know.

[email protected]
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
I started using them in 90s....heard the comments about ribbed ferrule but honestly have never had an issue from it....they are strong, fly great....sharpen easily and hold an edge good.

I use 160gr heads if he is wanting to get rid of them and you dont want them.  I am about to order 20-40 from Australia so I dont run out.  I hate changing equipment just for the sake of change....started with Zwickey...then Ribtek other than an occasional use of Snuffer....but Ribbies are my main head. Until I cant find them anywhere and are forced to change...then will be Grizzly I am guessing.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
yup they are ok but i do like fred bear heads better.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
The only issue I have with "filling the ribs up with hot melt or epoxy" is then you have an inconsistent tip weight.

Differences may end up being too small to notice perhaps, but when in doubt I choose to "keep it simple" and stick with a ferrel that is smooth.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
I have not killed anything with them but they fly great on my cedars and take an edge quickly. I saw a video of a guy shooting them into cinder blocks and they were not bent and did not have rolled tips. So I think anything I might shoot should expire if I do my part!! They are hard to get here in the states now.I haven't seen them for sale in a while.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
I shot a 145gr. into a cement wall in my basement. It buried apx. 3/8inch deep. I sharpened it up and killed a doe with it a few months later.
They fly great, very easy to sharpen. From what I have seen the 145's and up are very durable the 125gr. and smaller look a little thin.

I would gladly take half dozen 160's off your hands.

chris <><

Offline GREATBROWNKNOCKEMDOWN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
thanks guys all info is good to know.  he has the 125 grain heads and ill be using them on deer here in Wis.  one dollar each !! i figured i cant go wrong.   Jeff i also like the old Bear heads if i could find them for a good price i would get those also.
Big River 1pcs longbows 60 47@26
Big River 2pcs longbow 62in 50@26
Big River Flatbow 60in 57@26
Dave Ricke Recurve 60in 47@26
WISCONSIN TRADITIONAL ARCHERS
Neosho Archers

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
I used them in the past and wouldn't hesitate to shoot them again.  They sharpen well and seemed to hold the edge.  I killed two caribou with the same 160 Ribtec, and penetration was not an issue.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
I love them !
taken everything from Big Big pigs to deer and rabbits with them .
Great head !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
160 & 190 Ribteks are two of my favorite broadheads.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
I've killed dozens of critters with them including 3 mtn goats, moose, caribou, etc.  The 160/190 are probably the strongest broadheads anywhere.  Extremely rare to have one damaged on rocks  Corrugated metal is stronger than sheet metal.  Softer so sharpen easy but don't hold the edge quite as well.  I never filled the ferrels with glue and any mounting issues mean your taper is too long (probably).

Offline awishanew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
I found they sharpen easily and are tough. I once missed a shot at the NALS at a steel bear with a cutout. The broadhead stuck in and was perfectly ok. BTW, The wood shaft was just about 1/4 in. shorter and I finished the round with it.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
I really like them myself and have had no problem with the ribbed ferrel affecting penetration.  I would post a pic of a deer that I have taken with a 125 gr. ribtek but it's not quite suitable for mixed company.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©