3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First turkey!!!  (Read 892 times)

Offline thetroutguy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
First turkey!!!
« on: May 11, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
I just got back from a hunt with Fred Eichler for Merriams in southern Colorado.  What a great hunt.  We had toms hanging around every day we were there.  Finally connected on one the last day.

24 lbs.  8 1/2" beard. 3/4" spurs.

GREAT time had by all.  I will tell the whole story after I am caught up on sleep.

***TGMM Family of the Bow***

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First turkey!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
Way to go...
Congrats..  :clapper:
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline thetroutguy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
Thanks.  We had a great time.  My buddy and I both hunted for four days.  One afternoon we took a couple of hours off after lunch to shoot the 3-D range with Fred.  I won't tell you who won (me) because Fred might get mad. LOL.

Offline thetroutguy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
One more for good measure.  Will get more pics later...

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
Congrats Pal...nice bird, looks like a great trip and beautiful country.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
Way to go Eric! Congrats buddy!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline thetroutguy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
Was a great trip.  My Dad went along to take pictures.  It was a hunt of a lifetime.  I haven't been able to hunt with my Dad for the last 7 years so it was pretty special to have my Dad along to share the experience.  Good friends, good family, good hunting.  What more could a guy want?

Offline bullofthewoods

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »
Was Fred shooting the longcurve on that 3-D shoot?

Offline thetroutguy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
No he was shooting a Toelke whip longbow.  Actually, Dan is a friend of mine and when Fred ordered his longbow (10 minutes before I was ordering mine) we decided to make matching whips for Fred, my friend Tim, and I so we have bows made from the same piece of cocobolo and the same piece of koa (on the veneers).  They are absolutely gorgeous.  I have a picture of the three of us standing on a hill with the matching bows.  As soon as my Dad emails it to me I will post it.

Fred does have the "Longcurve" and is planning to hunt with it this spring.  My Dad made the longcurve and was pretty excited that Fred ended up with it.  Cool story all the way around.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
Congrats!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
Very cool   :thumbsup:  Congrats on a really nice bird. Love the colors in those things.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »
Way to go bud!!,, Absolutely beautiful bird  and nice backdrop to boot.
TGMM

Online Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
Very AWSOME! Congratulations on a beautiful trophy!  :thumbsup:
Steve.

Offline W.Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 06:56:00 AM »
Great pic's..............nice looking Gobbler>>>>CONGRAT's

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 07:02:00 AM »
congrats on a great looking Merriam. now all we need are the details..

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2007, 07:06:00 AM »
Congrats Eric on a great hunt, having your dad long makes it extra special.  :thumbsup:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
Congrats!!!

:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline thetroutguy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
OK guys here are some details...

I met Fred and Michele at the Montana Bowhunters Convention in March.  They were kind enough to donate a hunt to the raffle and I was fortunate enough to win the hunt.  Needless to say, I was excited.  I brought along my good friend Tim who also hunted and my Dad who didn't have tag but spent the weekend hunting with a camera.

When we arrived in camp we were pleased to see that Fred was just as excited and fun as he was at the convention.  Sometimes speakers "put on a show" for the public and then when you are with them on their turf and they aren't trying to promote themselves they are totally different.  Not Fred.  He is the same at 3 in the morning as he is at 3 in the afternoon.  He is the same in real life as he is on TV.  That guy is one happy son of a gun and he never gets tired.  He is always willing to share a story, but is also willing to listen to one.  

So we set up in the bunkhouse, and prepared our gear, etc. and decided to shoot a little.  Fred has a great 3-D course set up on his property so my Dad, Tim, and I shot the course and had a blast.  It was nice to shoot with my Dad again.  I moved away 7 years ago and he had some health issues that kept us from hunting or even shooting together for all of that time.  It was very special to me to be able to shoot with my Dad.

We hunted hard the next three days with Tim getting two shots and not connecting.  I must have walked 4 billion miles in three days and spent a million hours in a double bull blind and at the end of it all, although I had Tom's all around me every day, I had finished my 3 day hunt without a single shot opportunity.  

Luckily our plane didn't leave until dinner time the next day and Fred said we should give it one more try.  This was a fourth day of a FREE 3 day hunt and Fred was as excited as anyone.  He sure didn't have to do that, but that is what makes Fred, Fred.  So we set up on the edge of an alfalfa field and waited for daybreak.  Sure enough just as the sun was hitting the field 4 big toms sauntered into range.  The last one was the biggest AND the closest so I waited.  And waited.  And waited.  Until finally the last one of the 4 came into range at 17 yards.  I calmly drew my Toelke Whip longbow proceeded to shoot an inch over his back.  The bird hopped a little and just calmly kept walking.  By the time I got another arrow knocked was about 25 yards and this time I smoked him.  He hopped about 6 feet in the air when the arrow struck its mark.  Then he just tucked back in line and walked with the other 3 toms.  I knew I had hit him but didn't know how well.  After a few seconds he went down in a heap.  Nothing like a last minute bird.  The fourth day of a three day hunt, mere hours before I have to catch a plane and I had finally taken my first turkey.

Offline korn stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
Congrats on a real nice bird, enjoyed the photo's.....

Fred is a great hunter and guide and an even nicer guy.... He runs a top notch guide service.
Doug

Offline Billings photoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
Way to go son...  You have a right to be proud. This was a hunt I will always remember.  You and your hunting partner Tim, and ofcourse Fred Eichler made me realize that archery will live on long after I am gone....  Thanks for a trip of a lifetime.

Love, Dad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©