3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Woodsman Elite Broadheads - thoughts?  (Read 346 times)

Online Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
Woodsman Elite Broadheads - thoughts?
« on: July 22, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
Really considering going from 2 blades to 3 - thinking maybe a hole will facilitate a better blood trail...
Like the looks of the WW Elite 175 grainers. A fairly expensive broadhead compared to the Magnus 2 blades I've been shooting, but I like the solid piece of steel (no insert) at the same grain weight as my field points.
So... bring it on - thoughts, experiences, alternatives.
Thanks in advance,
Rando

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Woodsman Elite Broadheads - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
the first woodsmens are tough enough.no reason to buy the elites.they are cheaper and fly staight.i don't know what you are shooting at but the originals are plenty tough.i saw where poeple took down cape buffalo with the original woodsmen heads,don't get mutch tougher than that.hope this helps,steve

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 05:32:00 AM »
My experience is that they are tough broadheads.
f you go for the heavier ones with no opening in the side of the blades, you will get away from the whizzling sound they can deliver.

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
Pretty narrow for whitetails.  Any grain Snuffer beats it hands down.  I'd stick with the two blade if I were you.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »

I would say they work.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
The biggest issue for me is the precise machining of the elites.  Probably a good third of the Wensel Woodsmans (old ones) were ground so bad it took a looonng time to sharpen for me.  These new ones are far better.  Much easier for me to sharpen,and I've yet to mount one that didn't spin true the first time.  I had to re-align and re-spin the old ones quite a bit sometimes to get them straight.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
There will be some VPA Terminators (same head) in my quiver this fall.  Yeah, they are pricey, but also an excellent broadhead.  WW's are good, but the Terminators/Elites are much better.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
VPA's for me to, I've tried the old woodsmens no thanks, I like the non vented 175 grainers these can be razor shorp in a few minutes, The new Elites are very good and are the same heads as the VPA's, all made by the same outfit.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
I am going to try the VPA 145 and 175 this year.  I like the non-vented head.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline DBinAlamo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
I like my 200gr. Elites, they fly great and cut a nice hole.
A&H ACS 64" 50#@28" 3DH Riser.
Strive for excellence....  Not perfection.
"If your not working hard, someone else is" Dentler.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 07:36:00 AM »
The 175's are all I use these days and I like them a lot. I did bend the blade on one and the ferrule on another last year after the arrow passed through animals and stuck in the ground though but I have had the happen on other BH's in the past too. Be nice if the ferrule was 1/8" longer on the WW's, that would make it a bit stronger.
lll

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
I have a lot of fond memories with the original Wensel Woodsmans....from bunnies to bison.

I think the new, larger diameter, Elites are very well made.....come with easy quick sharpening bevels, and the point already pyramided.....and they are made on closer tolerances.....all pros for sure......yes, they do cost more than the originals.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
I have had excellent results with the Elites. Very durable and well built. Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Online Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
I'll have to look / compare the VPA's... sounds like essentially the same head. Who sells 'em?
Two things appeal to me about the 175 grainers - a) they're not vented, should not whistle and maybe a bit stronger b) they're a single machined piece @ the grain weight I want, stronger & no insert (stronger?). I like the Snuffers, but would like to hit my weight easily without an insert if possible.
Rando

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
I have shot the woodsmans for the last few years, but went to the elite last year. I have been waiting for a long time for a one piece 3 blade that would compare to the old snuffers i used to use. It is a good head, but would sure like to see a stainless just like it. The only drawback is the tip will curl on impact at times, on the woodsman and the elite. I have had them curl on my 3D deer if i shoot considerably low into the hard area of the deer. I usually get mine from 3 Rivers, but alot of other choices also. I would like to use the 300 Extreme for my elk hunt, but just to heavy for my setup.
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
One deer and plenty of targets...that's all I've taken with the Elites. All I can say if that they spin true, are well constructed, and sharpen up nicely. That said, on that 1 deer, it left a fantastic blood trail...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Used the 250 grainers last year. One dead deer which died in sight so no blood trail necessary. Tough, true and easy to sharpen. I wont need another broadhead. You wont be dissatisfied.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 01:45:00 AM »
I've been using the 250 and 300 gr. VPA models on the right.  Great heads.

(Hit F5 on your keyboard to refresh the page if the photo fails to load.)

Gary Logsdon

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 02:31:00 AM »
My experience is with the wider 1 1/4" 250gn non vented "terminators"     :thumbsup:    Excellent head!  My Keni Black Bear sure thought different    :(  

I sure wish they would continue production of this "wider head"...    :banghead:    

Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 05:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by seabass:
the first woodsmens are tough enough.no reason to buy the elites.they are cheaper and fly staight.i don't know what you are shooting at but the originals are plenty tough.i saw where poeple took down cape buffalo with the original woodsmen heads,don't get mutch tougher than that.hope this helps,steve
I agree. Of course I never see the need to get the "latest and greatest" head. I certainly won't consider switching until I've used up what I have. Do you really think you are losing game with what you are shooting? I'd stick with the two blades until they were gone unless you don't mind wasting money.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©