3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2010 Hunting goals or plans?  (Read 858 times)

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
2010 Hunting goals or plans?
« on: July 22, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
With all the debate going on... I figured that something positive would be nice!!!

I am one of those fella's that must make a plan (Marine Corps ruined me that way) even if the plan is only going to be changed later...

Goals on the other hand, give me a vision and something to aim for and helps me put in the time and effort to achieve them...

I don't have any exciting plans... But with a baby due in early January... I need to stay flexible!!! Keeping momma happy will take a whole lot of work, but momma loves venison, so... My plans are to lighten up and have fun... Put a couple does in the freezer and keep looking for that elusive Pope and Young deer!!! I would love a nice high tined 8 pt!!! I am taking some time off pre rut and again during the rut, so let's hope I can put it all together!!!

My goal is to hunt well and not become lazy or any doubts and regrets for my choices... Not taking a buck that I should have let walk and not letting one walk I should have taken...

To take my 11 y.o. son out a few times... and hopefully let him experience the joy, peace, and passion that bow hunting gives me.. without trying to push it onto him... I used to take him with me on a rifle hunt or two a year when he was younger... But it has been a few years, and he has been out in the garage shooting his #20 glass bow with me and is getting fired up about bowhunting....

Another goal, is to attend some of the Traditional Bowhunters of GA events... INow if I can just get a few weekends off...

So those of you with some good plans, let me  dream a little because this year is going to be hit or miss with momma and the kids...

I wish you all well this season!!!
   :campfire:
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2010 Hunting goals or plans?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
Best of luck with the new baby.

I have some rather lofty goals, but hey why not right?

I drew a good elk tag this year, and hope harvest a bull that scores over 300.

Other than that, I just have a goal to hunt smarter, and be more patient and enjoy the time I have in the mountains.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 02:00:00 AM »
My goals for the year don't really apply to me.
David my nephew will picking up a bow and hunting this year. If he practices like he should. So my goals are as follows.
1) Teach him the beauty of the hunt without drawing blood.
2) Teach him the ways of the woods, that is tracking, reading sign, building blinds, the countless "why's".
3) Develope our mutual interest in hunting into a forum to talk about everday life and all it's pitfalls.

For me 1 and 3 are the vital ones, If I could have those accomplished this year we be my most succesful year ever.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 03:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by nc recurveman:
My goals for the year don't really apply to me.
David my nephew will picking up a bow and hunting this year. If he practices like he should. So my goals are as follows.
1) Teach him the beauty of the hunt without drawing blood.
2) Teach him the ways of the woods, that is tracking, reading sign, building blinds, the countless "why's".
3) Develope our mutual interest in hunting into a forum to talk about everday life and all it's pitfalls.

For me 1 and 3 are the vital ones, If I could have those accomplished this year we be my most succesful year ever.
As a newer hunter these goals come to mind. I am about to enter my second season and will not be able to afford a kill. This year I will have the blessed opportunity to watch and enjoy the wildlife around me. I will go through all the steps, but can't take a shot with the bow....only a camera. I can't wait!!
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 04:26:00 AM »
I am hopin to hunt at Rough Mountain  this year for a whole week...  :archer2:
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 04:34:00 AM »
Hogheaven      :bigsmyl:   1st of October and maybe a roedeer hunt in Denmark.

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 05:48:00 AM »
At 68 years young I just thank God for I hope anaother hunting season. I am not a very good hunter with the recurve so I just ask that If I get a shot at a adult deer (doe or Buck ) that my arrow flys true. I shoot about 3 times a week and I no longer plan on shooting any deer over 20 yards and I use ground blinds. tree stands are for birds and no longer me as a hunter.
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 05:57:00 AM »
Good luck with the one on the way & congratulate the misus from the Slagle family.

I'm hoping for a better year than last with my bow in that I hope to have at least a decent sized Doe within bow range & I too hope that Lucky "the name my club have given a nice 8 pointer last year because he'd show his self but no one had a shot at him" crosses my path.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
Made my bear hunt in AK and that was great...had plenty of plans until today...Wife's [ of 31 years ] health has taken a terrible turn and we got the test results today..

Looks like I'm going to be wanting to stay real close to home this fall and spend some "Good Time" with her... She would like to go to Hawaii and possibly one more cruise.

Gene  :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
I am leaning toward hunting with my self  bow this year and only my self bow. Would like to kill a deer and turkey with it.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
All bow kills to be with a longbow this year.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
Well I plan to hunt the same way I did last time, I saw a lot of game and just could'nt put it together. This year I just plan to take my first good shot and not hope for better ones later. I also want to go out twice as much, last year the weather was somewhat foul but I still could have done more.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
I plan to see deer and all goes well kill a few.And do this with sniper like accuracy.Other than that just beg the wife for forgiveness for hunting more than spending time with her.   :thumbsup:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
Prayers sent for you and your wife Gene. Enjoy your time together. God Bless.
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
Take the three new trad hunters I have been training to hunt, out into the wood and get them on animals.  

Have some great hunts with my wife and help her make her first big game kill.

Hook up with Bjorn, Larry, etc... and have a great elk camp and some fun and exciting hunts.

Take Tricia to Australia in 2011 for three weeks and get some Chital, Rusa, and hog hunting done.

Most of all spend all the time I can in the woods enjoying nature and the hunting comraderie.

Personal goal - That big bull elk that gave me the slip last year!  That boy has an appointment with a sharp stick with my name on it on opening day.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
Well I have a hunt to WY for Mulies and Elk in September. I will be there a week...

Whitetails in Kentucky for the rest of the month of Sept plus a few other trips over there in Oct and Nov to find a good 'un....

Whitetails here in IL every chance I get. Have a real chance of taking a great deer here with new spots found/permission obtained/scouting underway.

God Bless you and your wife Gene.
Mike Davenport

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
I will opent the bow season here in KY on September 4th. I will go to Indiana (Attica) to deer hunt with my best friend 2-3 times from mid-October through early November. I have an invitation to bowhunt (1st time) on private land in Illinois with a friend from MS who owns and manages several deer hunting spots in the land of Lincoln. I should take him up on his offer (all I have to do is buy the NR tag) but if I still have buck tags in KY and or IN it will be difficult to leave one hot spot for another. I had been planning to hunt elk in either CO or OR in late September but I cancelled those plans last Monday.  Oh, I have enough preference points to be selected on a WMA special hunt for the 1st weekend of November so I might be hunting then with my brothers from IN.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
I have to stop hunting from October 4th-9th to conduct the 2nd World NASP Tournament at Disney's Wide World of Sports in Orlando, FL. Expecting 2,000 kids. Looking for 40 volunteers to be range officials. If you are interested, please send me a PM.
Thanks
Roy

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
Goals:
1.  Take my first trad deer
2.  Hunt "the driveway buck" if he made the year.  Going to go look for him this weekend I hope.  Nice tall rack.  Likes to make a big scrape on the driveway of an A-frame where I hunt.
3.  Get my daughter and/or son out hunting more
4.  Hunt coastal NC on the invite of an old friend I haven't seen in 11 years

Plans (aka schemes):
They never end.  Just drew up a plan for the driveway buck a few minutes ago.  Figured the perfect blind spot, exit, entry, wind....Now I need to ask the land owner if I can make a brush pile this summer where I want to put the blind...

Other than that the schemes regarding wind and areas where I hunt are just non-stop.  Focusing on blind spots this year to meet my #3 goal above.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
Gene,
I posted before I saw your turn of events. I read your post to my wife. I pray that your wife's situation improves and you both enjoy many more cruises. My prayer will be added to the list.
Roy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©