3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2010 Hunting goals or plans?  (Read 857 times)

Offline Jason Hansen

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2010 Hunting goals or plans?
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
My primary goal is to spend as much time during the fall, hunting whitetails in Michigan with my Dad.  There is nothing like the color, smell, and overall feeling of spending time with my Dad hunting in the autumn woods.
“That land is a community is the basic concept of ecology, but that land is to be loved and respected is an extension of ethics.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
Having been distracted in recent years w/various career and family obligations (children and caring for a Grandmother w/Dementia), my days afield have been few and far between. Now, with the stark realization that there are only so many fall hunting seasons left in my future, I am taking some time out for myself and am making bowhunting my #1 priority, with my wife's blessing. This fall, I have scheduled 2 solid weeks to hunt Bears in September, and 2 solid weeks in October for deer. My priority is not on taking an animal, but on spending time in the woods, enjoying nature, chilling out and reflecting on life. The days are passing far too quickly...

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Same plan as last yr. Hunt Shawnee National Forest behind the house and try to kill the buck than made these rubs and a bunch more like them. Also would like to get another shot at a real nice 10pt. that should really be good this yr. He had a real good spread with long tines..just lacking on the mass.

No matter if I get a shot at those two...if they made it, I hope to kill a few does for the freezer.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
Since 1974, I have attended deer camp at a close friend's place. Last year he moved the camp to a later time, hoping it would be cooler. While this is fine, I still want to do the ritual camp out on the season opener weekend. So this year, even though I will still go to my friends camp later, my son and I are doing our own deer camp on opening weekend. That is my big plan for this year.

I have spent a lot of time (and money) upgrading all the stuff we need - mostly cooking gear, but I am really pumped about it. I am looking forward to opening weekend even more than ever.

Oddly, though I only bow hunt now, I still regard the opening of rifle season as the time to celebrate deer season. I guess that's because I have not missed "opening day" since 1964.
Sam

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
KILL DEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline sputterman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
2010 goals are to kill about 5 deer. 2 for burger and 3 for webbs butcher block bacon, salami and chedder brawts.5 Deer= 10 loins praise the LORD.

You filling me?
MEAT ON THE TABLE HORNS ON THE WALL!!!

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Fill the freezer with my longbow.  
See as much wildlife as possible.  
Photograph hawks!
Oh... and I want to learn more about dendrology.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
Not miss this year!!!!!!!!

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
When I go into the mountains in search of a buck this year, I don't care if I get one or if I don't. I'll give it all that I can, and hope to come out just a little smarter, and better than I am right now. I'll have 2-3 days max for hunting, and I'll try to make them count, but if I screw it up, I only hope to know what I did wrong so I can fix it for next year.

For the rest of the year, I want to start getting 6 in. groups consistently at 30 yards.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
This year I am just trying to get out as much as possible. Bought a new house, recently lost my job and now starting my own business. So moneys and time will be tight for a while.
On a side note, while hunting this year I would really like to take a deer with my self bow.

Offline Don2010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
I am crazy excited to get back out in the woods of Potter Co., Pa this year to hunt whitetail with my trad longbow for the first time ever... thanks to my Dad selling me a Horne longbow I absolutely fell in love with!  So, thanks to Dad, and my brother helping to talk me into it, I finally made the switch from hunting compound to hunting traditional after my 2nd trip to Denton Hill last weekend!  What an awesome trip that was!
Goodbye compound... HELLO LONGBOW

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
Gene,first,so sorry to hear about your wife and pray all goes well.I saw my father today and hes not looking good.Hes 83 and has Parkinsons.I spent along time today remembering all our times together and all he taught me about hunting,fishing and the outdoors.
My season will start Sept.1 for Mulies and Whitetail and go until Oct.31.In the end of Sept. I'll break for a 1 week Elk hunt in Alberta with my son and his friend guiding myself and 2 Fellow Tradgangers from Arkansas.Should be a phonomenal season.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Jason Hansen

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by adkmountainken:
KILL DEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't know there was a season for those birds!    :biglaugh:
“That land is a community is the basic concept of ecology, but that land is to be loved and respected is an extension of ethics.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline mgompf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
With a Baby due in late October and the recent move back to Ohio I don’t know how much hunting time I will have. My goal is just to spend as much time as possible in the field. Going to try real hard to get my oldest daughter a deer this year also.
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and
with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20
feet closer to God.

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
mine is simple for this upcoming season.  i want to hunt harder & stay on stand longer. maybe even all day. i also want to try and get my first rabbit with a bow.
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
Well last year I let a lot of small bucks walk by as well as letting a few small does walk by and ended up not getting a deer. This year I'm going to work on getting some does first before the rut kicks in and then I plan on hunting a few new spots that i hope i can get a shot at a nice buck.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
My goal is to try to take a nice buck in October (not an easy task!)  And then to take a buck of 140 inches or better in November.  This year I have access to some property that may make this an attainable goal.  Can't wait for fall!

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
To get an Antelope killed spot n stalk in August with my longbow... I will hunt waterholes but I do have three tags and will get out of the blind and chase goats through the washes...  

Come Sept. 15th to kill any unlucky does that I can and to only take a "mature" buck... 3 1/2 year olds or older.  I know he exists and this year I'm set up properly.. We will see...
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline browndown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
My goal is to spend alot of time in the trees, nothing better then being in the woods.
Live like you are dying, god will pardon you thats his line of work

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
Only two goals.
1) Quick, clean kill(s) on anything I'm lucky enough to draw on.
2) A Mature moose in Oct. (see #1 above)
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©