3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting gloves  (Read 217 times)

Offline hightop_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting gloves
« on: July 23, 2010, 04:43:00 AM »
Long story short I have been looking for a replacement glove. The old glove is 6 years old and  has seen many arrows and better days. the biggest problem that I found with the three fingered glove was that come cold weather I was having to be creative with my hand coverings.  cutting up perfectly good winter gloves to accommodate my leather fingers in the minus 30 degree weather. I was thinking that I would like to try out a full glove that is reenforced for archery now the only one that I could find was the dura-glove Xtreme from 3 rivers. I would like some advice maybe  their is a better glove out there or maybe you guys have had good experiences  with this one. let me know

Thanks you guys

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting gloves
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
When it`s cold here in PA,I`ll use my wool mitten-gloves.The type you can pull back the mitt part of the glove so you can use your fingers.I put my shooting glove on first,then slide my hand in the mittens.Fingers stay warm.When it`s time to shoot,flip back the mitt(mine stay back with a small piece of velcro) and you`ll have the same feeling on the string with your shooting glove with out the bulk of heavy gloves on the string.It`s still a good idea to practice with what ever winter gloves you use.It does feel a little differant.
Harold Wetzler

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
I'm looking for the same thing, Adrian! Alaska Bow Company used to make a pair of fleece gloves with cordovan leather on one hand or the other for shooting but they discontinued them for some reason. I bought a pair a while back and recently lost the non-shooting glove. When I went to buy a replacement pair is when I found out you could no longer get them.

Darren

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »
Although this is my first year with the bow, I plan on not wearing any gloves, just my shooting glove with my hand muff & some heat packs. That's all I've ever used hunting in the winter here in the great north.

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
Ive had the same problem for years. Im trying to learn to shoot with a shooting glove overtop of a glove. I got an XL that fits pretty tight. It seems like its going to work,I just need to practice somemore.
  Mark

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by bushytail:
When it`s cold here in PA,I`ll use my wool mitten-gloves.The type you can pull back the mitt part of the glove so you can use your fingers.I put my shooting glove on first,then slide my hand in the mittens.Fingers stay warm.When it`s time to shoot,flip back the mitt(mine stay back with a small piece of velcro) and you`ll have the same feeling on the string with your shooting glove with out the bulk of heavy gloves on the string.It`s still a good idea to practice with what ever winter gloves you use.It does feel a little differant.
Exactly what I do,And I sometimes use a polypropylene liner under the shooting glove.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
I buy  pair of Leather work gloves   ( YOU can find them sometimes lined)   Covers the whole hand and keeps it   warmer than no glove at all   easy to get out of your pocket  if your on stand    Easy to camo   With some Sharpies
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
For really cold weather, I just use a muff tied around my waist.  My hands stay in it, with chemical hand warmers if needed, until I'm ready to shoot.  For milder weather, I use ragg wool gloves (often the green Army surplus kind) with the fingers cut off for the shooting glove.

Offline hightop_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
Darren You nailed it that was the one i was looking at months ago they had a going out of sail thing and i didn't have the money now i am kicking my self, the fleece is so much better than the leather on the out side, specially because any one who hunts in really cold weather has seen the frost on the outside of the glove and felt the whole thing harden in to a solid block heheheh

and thanks guys for your in put on the techniques to cover up truth is i did do the hobo mitts thing. ( the gloves with the fingers cut of and a flap with a velcro on it)  but two seasons ago i missed a real nice buck cause the velcro was snowed over and the flap got caught up in my fingers. (or maybe i just got a lil buck fever) needles to say iv been apprehensive about going back to their bulkiness.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
Check out the new sponsor Hidden-E, they have those full gloves by Alaska Bowhunting.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
That is a similar product but not the same. My gloves were sold as a pair with one glove having cordovan leather on the fingers. You bought either a right or left-handed pair.

Offline hightop_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
those yeti gloves look like they will do the trick but i think im going to stick with the 3 rivers one il keep you guys posted on how they shoot

thanks for all the in put

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
YETI'S ARE THE WAY TO! THE WOOL MITTENS, WITH THE FLIP UP ENDS ARE AWESOME FOR EXTREME TEMPS.

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »
I hunt a lot in the cold up here in MN.

Have used a Bateman glove under the flip up wool mittens for a long time now and it works fine.

When it is way below zero I use a liner under the glove as suggested above. Still under wool mittens but with a leather chopper shell over the top. The chopper shell is made with an opening and folds back just like the mitten.

My hands have never been cold in that set up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©