3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowyer warning!!  (Read 1303 times)

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowyer warning!!
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
A  Black widar!!! I want mine to be longbow !!  :wavey:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
They sure make your joints ache and pain. Some people handle the bite and some get a bad reaction. But you sure know you have been bit! Unlike the recluse which is painless.
  We have a large Tarantula that lives in the front hedges that is interesting to watch.
  Need to call the new bow The Widow Crawler   :bigsmyl:  
Chort

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
If I had my druthers, I would take a bite from that fellow over a brown recluse.  The venom is not the same for sure.

"The bite of the brown recluse spider can result in a painful, deep wound that takes a long time to heal. Fatalities are extremely rare, but bites are most dangerous to young children, the elderly, and those in poor physical condition. When there is a severe reaction to the bite, the site can erupt into a "volcano lesion" (a hole in the flesh due to damaged, gangrenous tissue). The open wound may range from the size of an adult's thumbnail to the span of a hand. The dead tissue gradually sloughs away, exposing underlying tissues. The sunken, ulcerating sore may heal slowly up to 6 to 8 weeks. Full recovery may take several months and scarring may remain."   Ohio State University Department of Entomology.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »
Sounds delightful GDS.   :scared:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2007, 01:50:00 PM »
Here you go Mickey:  This will make you look under things!!!

Offline Timberghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
Black Widow spiders pack a pretty good punch too. And they are more aggressive and agile than people give them credit for. Only the female's bite is seriously dangerous to humans.  She is the black spider with the red hourglass marking on her abdomen.  The males are kind of brown in color,  smaller,  and venom is significantly less potent.   :scared:  

Y'all "Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite"... he,  he,  he   LOL!    :eek:     :bigsmyl:
The toughest thing I've found about deer hunting is getting them to hold still long enough for me to stick an orange spot on them and then step off the yardage...

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
Georges picture is of a recluse; I was bitten on the foot by one; and got blood poisoning (in Michigan). I had no clue what had bitten me until I was told by the doctor.
 When I was a kid a black widow bit me on the hand and that hurt. I got sick but recovered in short order.
 I got bitten the year before last by a hobo; twice; once on my face; and once when I tried to grab what bit me. The hobo bites just kept right on getting worse; and all suggestions to keep the wounds from infection failed; and I got a staff infection and dang near died from it.
  I spray with deadly insecticides and have glue traps all over. Glue traps keep on catching; the insecticides wear off...
 The one that bit me on the face; did something totally typical of hobo spiders- now that I am looking for the little darlings all the time: and that is they are often found around outdoor lights where the bugs are easy to catch.
 I have a porch light over my front door; and the hobo's will drop down on a strand and land on you as you walk under the light. I have caught and killed several this way.
  I would send a picture of the bite on my face; but you just imagine the worst( the bite not my face); and your pretty much there.
  I kill them all now. Jumping spiders are welcome; they are fun hunters to watch; but .. I have a squish firt policy on black widows and recluses and especially hobos.
  My doctor said " gee - all you have left is the yellow sac spider"..... um yeah..
 Black widows are slow; and like to remain motionless; and unless you accidently or intentionally mess with one - your not in much danger.
  Recluses - they feel trapped they bite; but I haven't seen one in this area ever.
  Hobos - you smack one and knock a leg off ; and your probably going to see it coming back to apply equal justice. They run YOUR direction- I hate them!!!!
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline KyGal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
Jawge has it right, one should beware of all such critters. A USFS biologist i worked with grew up in South Carolina. When she moved to Missoula she was laughed at because no matter how cold it got she NEVER just took a log off the woodpile. She always flipped them over with a designated stick first.

Black widows are pretty easy to see & deal with. I worry a bit more about the recluses. It may be a day or so before you realize that little itch is turning into a rotting hole in your arm. Most people don't even know they were bit, and the result is as nasty (sometimes worse than)as a poisonous snakebite.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
We may have some nasty winters, but we do NOT have any of those nasty black widow, brown recluse, or hobo spiders. You can have em.

We do have what we call a wood spider, some of them can get as big as your hand. Don't know if they bite and don't wont to find out lol.  Alan

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
Gosh before I just had an inordinate fear of all snakes and now this   :scared:  crap I can't go anywhere or touch anything now
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »
no poisonous snakes in maine either...  :thumbsup:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
I am so glad my ancestors came to Canada, I will take winter any day over snakes and spiders.

I work for a company that imports dried fruits and nuts from the middle east and such points and while fixing one of the display cabinets a ginormous furry spider as big as your fist landed with a thud on my bench.

Spiders are not supposed to lade with a thud!!!!!  screamed like a girl and killed it with a hammer till it was paste just to be sure.

My supervisor from Morocco thought it really funny.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »
Just refer to me henceforth as "BUBBLE BOY" I got yer back Mickey  :scared:    :readit:

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2007, 12:28:00 AM »
Brian,    
       quit being a wuss hairy chested preacher-man, honestly we got a boat load of both flavors of the afforementioned and I'll take the widders in spade over the browns. widders make you sick the browns rot a baseball size hole in what they bite no thanx
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline 1/2primitive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
I agree with arrow k9, a 12gauge. And magnum.
    Sean

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
Hey guys and gals don't be thinkin those widders will just make you sick.

Back in the 70's I was bit on the hand by one and nearly died. In just over an hour I went down, the only thing that saved me was already being at the hospital. Several days in the hospital, 3 intensive care, then like 6 months before I was real healthy again.

While it's a minute amount they pack a toxin that effects the nervous system, involutary mucles, shuts down the heart and lungs. It's said to be 15X more powerful than a rattle snake bite. Obviously some people are more sensitive than others but everybody should treat it seriously.

From himthatdontlikenospider,

Take care!
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ragi:

Spiders are not supposed to land with a thud!!!!!  screamed like a girl and killed it with a hammer till it was paste just to be sure.

LOL that's funny Ragi    :biglaugh:

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »
They may be beneficial for controlling bugs but if they are in your house or shop, time to declare war!
Hello Raid Spider Killer!
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2007, 03:12:00 PM »
A .22 pistol with bird shot will scatter one over about 2 counties from 3'. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©