3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: El-cheapo carbon arrows?  (Read 380 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
El-cheapo carbon arrows?
« on: July 23, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
I was asked to build a kids bow for a Catch-A-Dream auction put on by Drury Outdoors. I decided to build a youth bow, bamboo backed osage, with all the bells and whistles so it will be a very special bow.

This auction crowd will probably be 100% wheelie guys and my bow will be looked on as an oddity or perhaps a cheap kids toy.

I am making this bow at a request of a good friend(a freebie) but don't expect it to bring more than $25 or $30 even though the same bow in the adult version would be in the hundreds, lots of hundreds.

I would like to include some fancy arrows with the bow but don't think woods would be a good choice for a youngster because of the possibility of breakage.

Being a wood arrow guy and don't know what kind of carbons(cheap) are out there for youngsters. I would doll them up with cap dip, cresting and wild turkey feathers but do need something pretty indestructible.

Any suggestions?

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: El-cheapo carbon arrows?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
Gold tip makes a gt lighting shaft, specially designed for youth and light weight bows. Add says recommended for bows with up to 35# max draw weight. They are $37.99 a doz. for shafts. There arent many cheap carbon arrows. I saw this in a Lancaster archery catalog if you are interested.

Offline Islandlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
Great thing your doing Eric     :thumbsup:
Procrastination is the thief of time.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
Sponsor Braveheart Archery has Patriot II shafts for $50 a dozen.  Not "cheap," but better than many...
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
Lancaster Archery sells youth aluminum arrows for less than $30 a dozen.  Not carbon but won't break like wood either.

Easton Neos Shafts  - $27.99/dz
 Easton Genesis Shafts  - $29.99/dz

FS Discount Archery is selling fiber glass arrows for cheap too.
 Gold Tip Youth Fiberglass Arrows  - $17.99/half dozen; $29.50/dz
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline shaanar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
Do you have info on that auction?  I know some kids that would really appreciate something like that.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
Beeman ICS Hunter Jr., or I have some 1814's that would probably work.

When do you need them?  I'll donate a half dozen of either one--I can mail them, or send them by Jimmy, or give them to you next month at the ASTB state shoot.

Chad

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
What age group are you making the bow for?  I know you were conscerned about using wood arrows but in my experience raman wood dowels make the best youth arrows and are cheap to build and replace.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
where can you buy the ramen dowels.....James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
You can buy the ramen wood dowels at about any hardware store.  They're only about 30 cents a piece.  If you can't find them or you'd just rather buy them this way try this link  http://www.kustomkingarchery.com/1_4-Inch-Raminwood-Shafting/productinfo/A3100/  

$3.50 a dozen or $19 for 100 plus shipping

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
The ramin dowels would be a good one. Used them for my kids. They probalby will lose them before they break 'em!

Walmart around here, sell carbon express arrows for kids. Blue shafts, 26", up to 40lb bows spine, it says on shaft. You would have to strip fletch and replace with feathers. They have also worked good for my kids

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
Kustom King has the ramin shafts in 1/4" only. Is that the only size they come in?
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
Hi Eric!  The best I have found are "Thunder Express" by Carbon Express and a no-name carbon or fiberglass at Acdemy Sports.  These are both kids' arrows with vanes, they are rated up to 35#.  They come in two lengths, 26 and 28.  I think the 26" actually spines out to about 50#.  I have used the 28" from bows of 25# @ 24", 26@ @ 26", 30# @ 26", 35# @ 28", and 38# @ 28".  I scraped the vanes off and fletched them, I had to use the Easton glue in a bottle to make the feathers stick.  The arrows are about two dollars.  Hope this helps.  Bill

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
I plan to make the bow 20#@20" and gear it toward the 8 to 10 year old shooter. It will be 52" ntn. The handle and tip overlays will be made from this burl wood

Thanks for all the suggestions you all.

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »
thats awful nice jesture
i like biscuits

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
I didn't have a clue who I was making the bow for until I read the paper this morning.

Turns out I know these guys, very fine young men and two of the most dedicated hunters in the area.

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20100724/ARTICLES/307249999/1164/SPORTS?Title=The-next-top-hunters-

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
I know it is hard to ask local archery shops for donations but it might be a good way to get some shafts. My friend and I help start a youth fishing program "Hooked on fishing not drugs" we got on the horn with some big fishing manufacters like berkley ect.. I was surprised at all the gear we recieved each year. Thousands of dallors worth of bait,poles,and door prizes to give each kid it's just good P.R. As nice of bow you make I wished I was the kid in line for it. Good luck.

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
CoilSpring

Offline Lonala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
Hey Eric I got a doz 15 35  Gold Tip Trads Ill donate to the cause.Give me the details...There not fletced though  full lentgh have to be cut down.I dont have the set up to cut them.Whats the deadline for delivery??Aloha.Ron
Grizzly Stik Qarbon Nano QN2 53#@28 64"
Wesley Speacial 64" 58@27
Vixen 66"55#@28

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Lonala:
Hey Eric I got a doz 15 35  Gold Tip Trads Ill donate to the cause.Give me the details...There not fletced though  full lentgh have to be cut down.I dont have the set up to cut them.Whats the deadline for delivery??Aloha.Ron
good on ya ron. great donation.

thanks
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©