3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: North Carolina coastal archers  (Read 37793 times)

Offline waterone

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: North Carolina coastal archers
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2006, 12:17:00 AM »
Ncbowman, did you see pigs in the reserve?  Wild (feral pigs)? Like late generation pigs?  I had heard that some had gotten out during the hurricanes we went through 'bout ten years ago, but didn't know they had gotten that far North. Or that common.

How many did you see and have the State people said anything about it?  More importantly, has Mike Noles said anything about it?  He is a wealth of info about that area and a nice guy to boot.

I've got mixed feelings about feral pigs in the Pocosin NWR, but if they take hold like they are down in the Francis Marion NWR in South Carolina, they should make a dent in the snake population!

Really, do you have any more info about the pigs?

charles

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2006, 01:29:00 AM »
Chuck, I also have mixed feelings about them and actually, that's one reason I didn't shoot the one in the pic. I was unsure if I really wanted to kill any of them.

What I saw was a small sow with 2 or 3 pigs and the one in the pic. I knew I wasn't going to shoot the sow with such small pigs and seeing such small piglets gave me pause for the whole deal until I get Mike's input.

When I saw them I called Mike and hurriedly verified that they are legal to take but I really need to talk to him further before I take a position. Needless to say, I'm going with Mike's wishes. He and I both have been so busy I haven't yet talked to him again.

I'll talk to him about it and post back.

:)
ncboman

Have Bow >>>-------> Will Travel

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2006, 07:45:00 AM »
Pigs (Feral or otherwise) are very prolific and become "wild" in one generation, then continue to get wilder (even domestic pigs can be pretty wild, if not made pets - ask some farmers - LOL). Anyway, Mike and the "wardens" say shoot 'em if you see 'em. They will take care of a lot (if not all) of the snakes eventually, and they will provide more sport opportunities, but farmers etc. will hate feral pigs getting a foothold in NC. Most hunters would love it. Pretty controversial subject, is about right. I know I loved hunting them in SC when I used to go there. Most states that have them (feral) set no seasons or limits, and as many have said on here, they seem to be just made for bowhunters. Glad you got the pics and posted, Allen. I agree with your assesment of Tim and i found out while up there that we have a lot of mutual friends/contacts. It was a real pleasure to join that crew up there. Hope he'll be on to post soon too.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline waterone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2006, 08:03:00 AM »
As I said, I have mixed feelings about the feral pigs in coastal Nc.  I've had the chance to hunt them in Florida and Georgia, as well as working in a "herp" (reptile, amphibian like snakes turtles frogs, etc.) collecting activities while in college.  Saw what a bunch of hogs in an area will do to the ground and anything on the ground that can't get away.

Don't know if I want that in the pocosins.  

I understand from your post that the wardens want them shot, but what does the NC Wildlife Resources Commission say about it.  There is a season for Wild Boar, and what might the NCWRC say about this? Has anyone made a decision?

Thanks

charles

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2006, 08:15:00 AM »
I don't think so and I think it is because there are "not enough" to cause them to take action yet - either on the "protected" or "not protected" side, as yet. Mike would be in position to know more probably, if there is anything definite to know yet. The Wild Boar (and seasons) in NC are only in the the far NW counties to the best of my knowlege and  I believe they were purposely imported Russians/Europeans originally.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2006, 09:15:00 AM »
Now I did not know about the pigs.  :)  I would have shown you what to do with them.  :D  They are ferrel and can be hunted during any open season with a weapon legal during that season.Only in the mountains are they considered game animals and any restrictions apply.You guys blew it.  ;)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2006, 09:49:00 AM »
James, since I know exactly where they are, I don't think it's quite blown yet.   :D  

My son wants me to take him there so he can kill em all with a rifle.   :saywhat:
ncboman

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2006, 10:26:00 AM »
Some of the other guys spotted pigs also (no shots) but Tim, Justin, Roger, and I didn't see any while I was there. We had heard about them, and were primed for them though, if we had seen any, and got a chance. I thought about you, James, when the no-shoulders showed up -   :eek:    "[laffsmyl]"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2006, 10:56:00 AM »
Hey Bernie,I didn't realize snakes had necks!  :D  
Thats a nice canebrake.I sure hate I missed the get together up there with you guys looked like lots of fun.
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2006, 01:39:00 PM »
It was, sa, and we'd have loved to seen you. Actually I guess when you come right down to it their neck and backbone are only discerned by location - lol. If you pop 'em with a sapling right behind the head it will sure break their n-- er, backbone though and do 'em in - if they ain't tooooo big. Hmmm, come to think of it I guess that could apply to us too - but we got shoulders. If they are too big, and you got a bigger sapling, I guess it still would - if you had a bigger guy whaleing it - LOL.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2006, 01:46:00 PM »
Bernie I am surprised you did not see more of the crooked crawlers down there. :)  I love to see those pigs doing well.I dream of the day they will cover the whole state.I would love to see them rooting up all the subdivision lawns around here.  :bigsmyl:

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2006, 05:43:00 PM »
EEE-ewwwww, you gonna get hate mail, James   "[tunglaff]"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2006, 06:56:00 AM »
They must really be keeping Stonemadic, Tim, busy at his work. Can't imagine he hasn't been back on yet but I do know his puter at home is down and has been for quite some time. Where ya at, buddy? Hope all is well.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline STOBBER@WORK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2006, 10:32:00 AM »
Here i is !! It's been a little crazy at work lately. That's the way it is when you come back from vacation.All is good , but right now i gotta run again, i'll check in asap!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2006, 08:15:00 AM »
Gee - glad to hear they "let ya out" oncet in a while, there, Tim   :knothead:    :bigsmyl:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline STOBBER@WORK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2006, 10:47:00 AM »
I'M BACK,  starting to get my strength back from all the blood loss at poccosin lakes. Bernie, it was great hunting / walking / talking / eating / camping  / hangin' out with you at the lake.I really had a great time, i wish we coulda done some knappin' though. I got bad bad news, Roger (Serpent slayer) and i got a dadgum citation(warning ticket) fer the rattler he shot, wasnt even my snake , all i was doing was skinnin' it fer him, get this ....if i had of been on the campsite side of the gravel road i wouldnt of gotten a ticket, but since i was on the refuge side ...it was considered federal property and i was in possession of the snake as a warden pulled up. The only reason i was there was to throw the snake across the canal to discard it....good timing huh? Hafta admit i was a little dissapointed in Roger fer not steppin' up and taking responsilbility fer the critter...i didnt have the heart to point him out either. Anywho...lesson learned. The officer informed us that we could take 5 rattlers per day on private land w/o a collection permit. Overall i enjoyed the trip alot, i spent time with a new friend(BERNIE)and built some some good memories with my son , nothing better than that. We went to pungo the last two days and saw lots of deer and bear...i spent about 30 mins. with a 250# bear at about 15/20 yds.he put on quite a show for me, he was in a canal splashing around and i stalked up to him , i gave a fawn bleat and he literally went nuts looking for me...scared the *&%%&$^& out of me....ran right at me but never saw me, he tore the canal apart looking for the source of the call...huffin' and puffin'and pulling up weeds...i never saw a bear do that before so it was pretty exciting to say the least....it was up close and personal. I did keep an arrow nocked just in case...good thing i kept an extra pair of drawers at the truck.I think i ended up seeing about 30 sum deer and 8 bear. Went hunting thursday at my honey hole and missed the same doe 3 times at about 15yrds.at ground level...i was disgusted with my shooting...first shot was while she was walking  by at broadside , over her back...2nd shot was too low quartering towards me ...3rd. was also broadside high.She just kept walking around my blind setup , she never alerted or seemed alarmed at all, just walked off into the thicket and dissappeared. Oh well, maybe another day!Any way's that's about all fer now.....Hey Bernie , can you post those pics of all the guy's in a group...i know they shoot with training wheels  but they were part of the conspiracy along with us !   Take care everybody!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2006, 11:36:00 AM »
Told you that you need a ThermaCell - Then you'd only loose blood getting to and from your sittin' place.

Wow - sorry to hear all that about the snake. Good info to know though. Does that mean you can get a collection permit for federal land, or just that you can get more than five on private land, with a collection permit?

Now you know what I was talking about with the bleat cans on Pungo, where they have so many Bears. It's kinda like messing with there food, to them - and they don't take kindly to that    :eek:  . Those critters can get right pushy.

Glad you enjoyed your hunt and got the time with Justin - sorry he didn't get his first deer, but it all counts for memories. I'll PM ya further, Tim.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline STOBBER@WORK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2006, 12:38:00 PM »
I think next year we'll do the Pungo hunt, the woods are a lot more accessible and clear,lots of crop land to hunt also, skeeters suck(pun intended) Theyre a little better at Pungo. Oh yeah, fergot to add , i also misssed a spike at pungo, my shooting is really in question this season...in my defense....all my misses were at deer that were watching me , except one, she was walking and never knew i was there till i shot ...i guess theyre reflexes are quicker than my bow. I missed the spike twice, 1st shot was head on, all i had a shot at was his head at about 12 yrds....he ducked the arrow.2nd shot was quartered at about 15 yds. but he was staring me down and jumped the string when i released. Success will be sweet when i finally connect !!!

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2006, 12:52:00 PM »
Pungo sounds good.

I could have told ya about the rattlers and tickets if I'd known you had one. Lucky you only got warning tickets.

I sent you a pm. Hope you're still online.

thanks again for the flaker and stones. I'm doin good with it.  :)

btw, I think the skeeters are worse up here. Pure misery yesterday afternoon. I had to quit hunting over them.  :(
ncboman

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2006, 01:21:00 PM »
thanks a bunch Tim.

You've become a better friend than you know. I'm going to try em this afternoon.  :)
ncboman

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©