3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: North Carolina coastal archers  (Read 37804 times)

Offline 42WLA

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: North Carolina coastal archers
« Reply #220 on: August 23, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
This probably going to be my only chance to hunt this season. We have a son due in October and I'm hoping he doesn't come too early. I'm really looking forward to it.
Dave Thomas
VP, Rockfish Bowhunters Club

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #221 on: August 23, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
I got to meet Dave this week end at Burlington (Sissipaha Shoot). He came with another friend of mine (Buzz), and he seems like a nice guy. I'm sure you'll like him, and he'll make good company.

Now, if I,  by chance,  turn out to be wrong, just send him back to Goldsboro and we'll make Buzz put him back in the cage - and keep him there   :D    ;)
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline STOBBER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: August 23, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
Look forward to meetin' him !
Hey Bernie...you sure you cant squeeze in a day or two with us. I enjoyed your company last year.
I'll fix ya a "HOBO".....MAYBE A SHRIMP BOIL!!!MMM  MMM MMM!

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: August 23, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
Whats the weather look like? I don't care if its warm or not i'm lookin forward to this! Thanks again Stobber! Remeber to call me a week before we go, or i'll call you...  :campfire:    :jumper:
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: August 24, 2007, 07:34:00 AM »
Oh yeah - I 'member those "Hobos" well. Excellant fodder!!! I'll probably wish I had - I usually choose the wrong place to be when I have a choice on any given year opener - LOL I do owe this one to one of our active duty protectors (big John Nolan), and wouldn't miss it, though.  I'll hope for the best for all of us.

Larry, yer gonna wanta beg, borrow, trade for, or steal one of Tim's "Hobos"   :p  Trust me on this. As I recall, I took some venison burger along last year and he made another bevvy of them out of that also.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline STOBBER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: August 24, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
We'll miss ya bernie...good luck wherever ya go.
HOBO'S are a tradition fer pocosin camp!
We make'em from burger, venison or bear. One thing for certain...we eat good !

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: August 24, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »
Thanks, Tim. Perhaps one of you can nail that nice doe that popped out of the bush across from me, nailing me flatfooted, and wouldn't avert her eyes long enough for me to draw, before bounding off. You know, the one you thought I'd shot and that was why she bounded off - you just knew she was down - LOL.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 42WLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: August 24, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
That will be my luck too, Bernie.

The closest I came before was a staring contest with a doe in chest high weeds aboard Quantco MCB back in '95.
Dave Thomas
VP, Rockfish Bowhunters Club

Offline STOBBER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: August 25, 2007, 12:28:00 AM »
Awwwww...... c'mon bernie, you know you missed that doe, i coulda swore i see'd a arrer fly 'cross that firelane. Seems to me you went in wid 6 arrers and came out wid 5......but hey! It's yer story so you stick to it.In all honesty, you must of been able to count her whiskers, she was mighty close.
I fer got to tell ya about Justin.....we met up one afternoon and he's all grins , sayin' he needs me to help drag her out.
I says "your lying"..he says "no i aint , she's down and i cant drag her." So i follow him about 100yrds and he walks over to the weed line and calls me in. "Right here " he says!
Lo and behold right where he said it was.......a nice fat.....SKEETER!!! He suckered(pun intended) me into helping him look fer a dadgum dead skeeter.Have to admit though...it was a nice'un!
I owe that boy one! Paybacks are rough!
Tim

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: August 25, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »
That boy's living dangerous - LOL. So was that doe, and I guess she knew it, I swear she was still watching me with her near eye, as she bounded off. Never screamed or blew though, that I recall. (Notice that I'm ignoring the fact that you don't count to well, and see things what ain't - LOL. I only can carry 4 arrows in my ACS's bow quiver to start with.)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline steveB.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: August 25, 2007, 04:42:00 PM »
hey guys i'll be down on sunday afternoon, can we fish down at the lake for free? just wondering if anyone would object me bringing deer meat for everyone to eat?

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #231 on: August 26, 2007, 01:20:00 AM »
I'm betting they wouldn't - mind, that is   :D

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline steveB.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: August 26, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
bernie i hate that i'm not going to get to hunt with ya this year. i've heard alot about you from tim.

Offline STOBBER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: August 26, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
Steve
Bring all the deer meat you want to..the way i shoot....we'll need it!!
By the way, fishing is free .
O.K. Bernie...you got me. I didnt really count yer arrers. The deer just saw that you only carried 4 arrers and figgered she better hi-tail.
They git a look at my quiver and think "is he kiddin' me"?I need to carry at least 30!(LOL)!

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: August 26, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »
Ineed a tent partner.....Anyone I don't owned a tent.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: August 27, 2007, 07:28:00 AM »
Thank you, Steve - maybe later, or next year, Lord willing. If I was going, I could have brought you my extra tent - dad-gum it. If Tim makes another trip down here before then, perhaps he could stop and pick it up for ya to borree??? Be my pleasure.

Tim, if "need" is gonna figure into it - my quiver will only hold 4, but there are times when I feel like I "need" to pull a Radio Flyer wagon full of arras along behind me -     :archer:    :goldtooth:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline STOBBER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: August 27, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
Cleve
I wish i could accomidate ya but i already loaned my spare tent out to the guy's coming down from West Virginny.  I'm sure we'll be able be find some accomidations fer ya!
Call Mike(or whoever) at Conmans and ask about one of those Campers he has fer rent. I think theyre 20.00 a night. He only has two so you may want to call now.
Bernie...i know what you mean by pulling a radio flyer full of arrers.  I actually ran out of arrers one day , had to hike out after only a half day hunt(4miles) with no arrers. Felt kinda stoopid walikng that far and seeing a Dz.deer with  only a bow.DOH!!!!!(LOL)!!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: August 27, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
That's funny - but not at the time, huh? When I first got into bowhunting (I was 56), I asked my mentor, up in Maine, about how many arrows I should carry. He said, "Take all ya can, period!" Then this really great shooter (he was really deadly with any bow he picked up 90% of the time) proceeded to tell me a story about him hunting the edge of a field (that he had shown to me a week earlier) a couple years back. Seems he had deer all over him that morning and only had six arrows with him. An hour and a half later he had six arrows laying in the grass, no blood on any of them, and he then saw four more deer while waiting another half hour for his son to come by to get him. He also said he never found out any reason for that string of misses. When he got home and went to his targets to check things out - you guessed it - he was still deadly as ever -    :D   He told me he had never had so many opportunities on one hunt before or since, nor had he ever blown so many shots at one sitting. Oh yeah, I always carry some extras in my truck - never have had to go get them yet but came close a couple of times   :rolleyes:  .

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline STOBBER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #238 on: August 27, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
It still makes a hunt fun dont it?!
It aint everyday a guy runs outta arrers before lunch!
I have to admit though...i lost 2 of them shooting at squirrels.

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #239 on: August 27, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©