3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: North Carolina coastal archers  (Read 37550 times)

Offline STOBBER@WORK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: North Carolina coastal archers
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2006, 12:20:00 PM »
Normally it's just first come first serve, never had a problem myself. I suppose if you want a cabin it would be best to reserve one though, most of the time theyre taken during bow season.                                   Bringing some knapping material would be a good idea, i'm pretty much out of everything but glass , got lots of "Johnstone" if anybody knows how to work it, i caint figger that stuff out. I'll bring what i got!

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2006, 02:08:00 PM »
unless I order raw material from ebay, I have none at all. That's been my holdup on knapping. I'm planning on snagging some stone in Ohio this fall but rocks of any kind here are scarce.
ncboman

Have Bow >>>-------> Will Travel

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2006, 07:38:00 AM »
There is a guy who sells rocks in general (i'll try to relocate his adee - I lost it off my computer in a recent crash but may have a invoice from him). He inherited a bunch (I mean a ton or more) of great Obsidian rocks and has to move them for lack of storage space. his price is outragous (low) and myself and a number of folks that I told about him, who ordered from him, were very pleased with the quality, quantity (extra fair), and service. I'll get back after I look. If not, perhaps one of the guys I told still has his adee, or web site info.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2006, 07:51:00 AM »
Here it is (I found the invoice in the box of rocks - can you imagine, I left it in a logical place to find?     ;)   )
Hinkle's Rock Shop; 715 Court ST.; The Dalles, OR 97058; Ph # (541)340-4896; or check out his web site (for Oregon Thundereggs - specialty rocks)  www.oregonthundereggs.com  - his notice about the knapping materials should still be on there. I don't believe you'll be disappointed. Yep, it's still on there, most of the way down (overstock items) - Here's the kicker: ten pound box (generous0 for $6.20 and $8.10 shipping (that is not a typo) and shipping has been fast in my experience and that of other friends. Hope this helps.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline STOBBER@WORK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2006, 11:01:00 AM »
Bern, remind me to check on the regulations for bowfishing , especiaaly at night. Phelps lake is a fantastic spot to do some bow or spearfishing. The water is real shallow and crystal clear in most places. I'll bring my canoe we'll stick some fish if it's legal.

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2006, 11:29:00 AM »
Bernie,
thanks for the website. I had it in my favorites but misfiled it and was wonderin where it was.

Stone,
a Special Device Permit is needed to be legal. I'm not sure how many 'trash fish' are in the lake itself but gars come up creeks at night in huge numbers around here. I don't think I'll be bowfishing this time, got a full plate as it is.

I hope to be able to take some time between now and then and take my aluminum boat and trolling motor to do some canal scouting. I did it once over 15yrs ago and saw some outstanding slides where deer were crossing. Never did hunt them though. I think a small boat is required equipt to access the more remote areas.

I'll be glad to ferry someone to a good spot if it works out that I find some good spots between now and then. If a man had time to ride all the miles of canals I'm positive some gravy hunts could be found and maybe a snake. Sounds like a GPS type project.
ncboman

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2006, 11:30:00 AM »
I would love to come up and hunt/hangout/knap with you fellas.I'm from a little "South".Can I get some more info?Date,location,etc.Thanks
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2006, 11:41:00 AM »
Season opens Saturday, Sept 9.

The location of the campground is Conman's.

http://www.homestead.com/conmans/

The General Store is on the left at the end of the pavement. Campground is there also. No elect or hookups but does have a showerhouse/latrine.

Hope you can make it.
ncboman

Offline STOBBER@WORK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2006, 01:37:00 PM »
I'm not sure if i mentioned or not ....this is not a guided hunt , i just wanted to make sure everybody knows that the refuge is open to the public but Mike and Connie( the owners of the campground) do offer guided hunts if interested.This isnt really an "organized hunt"but i will be glad to show everybody around the 196,000 acres and then you can do youre own thing. I just thought this would be a good way to get some trad archers/ knappers together for some likeminded fellowship. Thanks Tim

Offline STOBBER@WORK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2006, 01:45:00 PM »
Oh yeah, if you got capabilities, bring yer canoe.If not, thats fine.

Offline STOBBER@WORK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2006, 01:57:00 PM »
P.S. Coyotes are in season year round, if got a caller ...bring it. Just be sure not to shoot a Red Wolf by mistake , theyre protected on the refuge. Theyre usually a lot taller and skinnier than yotes, redder too.I'll call Mike and find out whats legal this year.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2006, 02:06:00 PM »
I have a canoe also (super light weight Radisson - used to be Sport Pal) - don't use it as much as I used to - but I can. Think I should bring it too? I remember how clear Phelps is but I don't have a bowfishing rig. Like ncboman, probably more interested in deer (and knapping) but you never know - always wanted to try bowfishing someday.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2006, 02:19:00 PM »
oh, I might mention primitive campsite is 15 per night at Conman's.
ncboman

Offline STOBBER@WORK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2006, 10:51:00 AM »
If we get all the rain that Ernesto is bringing , the hunting should be good , the high water will push them out of the swamps.At least it seems that way from past hunts.Then again.... it pushes out the snakes also!!

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2006, 01:00:00 PM »
well, the area is fairly dry right now and I expect the water will be welcome and quickly gone. By the 12th, we may have another storm to deal with.

Snakes have been very active for about a week now as they always are this time of year. The one you see won't bite ya.
ncboman

Offline STOBBER@WORK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2006, 03:47:00 PM »
sounds like you live near by , maybe we get access to the personal lease and catch some bow backings.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2006, 04:13:00 PM »
I, for one, tried my Rocky snake boots on again yesterday (my feet haven't been swelling as much this year, thank you, Lord) and (HOO-ZAH!) I think I can wear them in comfort. If I get to come, they will also - LOL It'll probably be Sunday or Monday before I do (10th or 11th).

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline STOBBER@WORK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2006, 04:18:00 PM »
Hey Bernie, i fer one aint into sweatin' too much....so if it's real hot or real rainy or deer aint movin or we're hungry or.........anywho....lookin' forward to time out fer some knappin'. See ya soon.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2006, 06:40:00 PM »
I heard that! I can't stay at it on a "walking" hunt all day like I used to either -   :p  Come to think of it, I can't on a "sitting" one either anymore   :knothead:  

Speaking of that, is it worthwhile to bring my climbing stand in case I need it or is there any place to "climb and sit" that would be worth trying???

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline STOBBER@WORK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2006, 08:35:00 AM »
There is a few good stand locations, my favorite "Honey hole" for stand hunting at the refuge was destroyed by tornados about 3 yrs ago.It would prolly pay to bring it .

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©