3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: North Carolina coastal archers  (Read 37688 times)

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: North Carolina coastal archers
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2006, 01:07:00 PM »
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I understand the refuge roads will be closed this year.
ncboman

Have Bow >>>-------> Will Travel

Offline STOBBER@WORK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2006, 01:55:00 PM »
SAY WHAT????!!!!!!

Offline STOBBER@WORK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2006, 02:20:00 PM »
OKIE DOKIE,  :readit:   I guess that cuts our hunting range considerably. My son and i will still be there, personally i think the hunting will be great. Still leaves alot of time fer flintknapping.Come on guy's , dont back out on us.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2006, 05:29:00 PM »
OK, again I ask should I bring my canoe too - LOL - or would it be better to bring my Bike (I used to use it at Pungo, and it will pull my little funky cart/converted jogging stroller behind it - if the tires are still good.) I don't think I can fit both in though.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2006, 09:12:00 PM »
if the roads are muddy, which is likely, a boat will be a better option, imho.

DO NOT FORGET!!!
a bow must be unstrung or cased in any boat powered by a motor, trolling motors included.
ncboman

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2006, 09:36:00 PM »
LOL - I only have a 1oldmanpower motor so I'm good to go. The wife tells me last time she looked my bike tires didn't look good anyway.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline STOBBER@WORK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2006, 07:25:00 PM »
Same here Bernie, 1manpower 2stroke bicep.Canoe would prolly be best bet. Certainly no shorteage of canals to stalk.I kinda like the idea myself, all the motor noise will be eliminated and there  will be a lot less hunters also.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2006, 10:02:00 PM »
I'm lucky, mine only weighs 35# and is pretty stable. I never have shot my bow from it but I have used it to ferry me around when bowhunting a number of times. How about access to those canals, with the roads closed?

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline STOBBER@WORK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2006, 11:14:00 PM »
pretty much whereever you want put in is fine. All the roads have a canal running alongside, some of them are prolly 10miles or more long.You can go as deep into the refuge as you want , depending on how far you want to paddle or pedal.There are several "feeder" canals that branch of the main ones, kinda like a grid.You dont have to go too far in, heck...i've gotten up in the morning to fix the coffee and seen up to 12 deer within 100yds. of camp. Was walking back to camp one evening and jumped a deer at the corner of the campground.Theyve always been pretty evenly distibuted all over the refuge. Only set back is that a lot of the terrain is thick underbrush, kinda need pick yer shots and make a decision if you want to track a deer thru it or not, i've passed up a few shots due to the tracking that might be involved.The canoes or jon boats will really come in handy , gets into some friendlier terrain.

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2006, 06:02:00 AM »
It's a good idea to have a way to find your boat if you get off on a tracking venture. It's way easy to get turned around in that stuff and even finding the canal can make you ponder which way the boat is.

I've always thought a helium filled balloon about 150ft up over the boat would be a good idea but I've never had one. One time I ran a string about 50yds deep from the boat so I wouldn't walk by it but that didn't work so well either. A good sharp machette is a must regardless.
ncboman

Offline STOBBER@WORK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2006, 06:13:00 AM »
Amen brother, i love flagging tape and reflective twist ties.Just remember to bring it out with you as you go.Saw a couple of guys get a citation for leaving the stuff in the woods a coupla yrs. back.The machete is a great idea. Boman, sounds like you know the refuge pretty well!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2006, 07:49:00 AM »
I would have loved all of that (and did it often in the swampy areas of North and South Carolina) a (very) few years ago. Now I may have to opt to stay close to the boat. I used to never get lost and, though I always carried a compass, I almost never had to use one, as I had a finite sense of direction. In the last couple or three years I have found myself turned around (bad) a few times, in small areas even - gets scary with age. Made me feel like Henry Fonda in "On Golden Pond". Wish I knew how to use my GPS -   "[laffsmyl]"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2006, 12:16:00 AM »
Tim, I don't know the refuge well at all but I'm familiar with hunting by boat off canals and how easy it is to 'lose' the boat. I once spent a couple of hours searching in frustration while my boat was less than a hundred yards away. I'll probably take both my gps units just in case.  :D

I was over about 4 miles south of Columbia this afternoon and the water was very high. Many yards are standing water to the door.

Wanting to ride some of the canals on the refuge and scout for good slides before the hunt but the water needs to drop a good bit for sign to be visable. I'll be back down there this coming week and post the status of the water level.

Think I better inspect my hip boots.
ncboman

Offline STOBBER@WORK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2006, 11:17:00 PM »
I think that the water usually resides pretty quickly around the refuge, still...the roads will be closed and theres always deer on them, even more so without all the motor traffic.That's gonna provide miles of stalking possibilities.I'm getting pretty anxious for opener, i've been seeing some great bucks here at home, not really a trophy hunter but i'm always willing to take a nice buck with my bow.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2006, 07:34:00 AM »
I'm still hoping (though I'm sure I'll have to come alone - this time at least). I may come Sun (after opener on Sat.) but probably Monday, the 11th, if all goes well. Well, that is if I don't shoot so many deer Sat and Sun (on base) that I'm too busy to come    "[dntthnk]"      :D    Didn't you say you were getting there the 11th also, stonemedic, or was that ncbowman?

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline STOBBER@WORK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2006, 08:06:00 PM »
Well, how many are committed so far??......Hope to see a good bunch show up, looking forward to meetin' you guy's.I managed to get my 16 yr. old son out of school, they agreed to work with him on his schoolin'....i thought that was pretty cool of them. I think i rather he get a deer more than me, he hunts hard , he deserves it.

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2006, 09:11:00 AM »
I'll be there to see you guys at least but don't know yet how long I can play.

This last storm has generated a whole lot of roofing calls and I'm getting booked solid again which I need. Speaking of storms, we got another inch or two of rain yesterday/last night and it rains as I type now. Job security.
ncboman

Offline STOBBER@WORK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2006, 07:52:00 PM »
Dad Gummitt!!!!!!!Wouldnt ya know it,After i found coverage for my shift at work i  spent all day loading the Cherrokee with all my gear , ran down to the local country store to fuel up(gas is $2.29gal. ) Came back to the house ...got out a smelled somthing funny, looked underneath the jeep and saw antifreeze on the ground...popped the hood and found not one ...but two busted hoses (top and bottom) .Glad i found out now instead of while i was on my hunting trip.Ithink i can still make it to the campground by early Sun. afternoon. Overall it was a pretty good day though....passed a shot on a wet doe this AM.She had a yearling and a fawn with her ...not sure if she was still nursing or not ...just didnt feel cool shooting her in front of the kids.All three passed by at about 10yds. and never knew i was there ....so much for camo...i was wearing my EMS uniform and they never saw me. Maybe the mojo will continue this week. Look forward to seeing you guys at the refuge, sounds like the weather is gonna be good this week...low 70's hi 60's at night low 80's during day. Small chance of rain Wed.Tonite(til 7am) is the last time i'll be on trad gang till next Mon. I managed to get 8 days off, hot diggety dog !!!!!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2006, 10:37:00 PM »
I'm still planning, if all goes well - but I won't be leaving here until Mon. Stiull too much to do tomorrow, Sun. Didn't see any today but had one scream at me after dark while I was putting my climber togerther to pack it out at the base - I about jumped over the tree!

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2006, 11:17:00 PM »
Can't wait for y'alls deer and snake reports  :bigsmyl:  Have fun.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©