3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: North Carolina coastal archers  (Read 37693 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: North Carolina coastal archers
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2006, 08:26:00 AM »
I don't know - still a lot of moon up there in the sky - I'm hoping they walk more at PL where they are pressured less. (You didn't have to mention the snakes again - LOL)
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2006, 08:35:00 AM »
You fellows should have a good week for it.The weather is going to be a lot nicer next week than Saturday.Get us some good pictures Bernie.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2006, 01:28:00 PM »
Got my camera in the truck already, James, I'll do my best - Course I still have to pack/load most everything else   :p

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2006, 09:12:00 PM »
Don't forget to Permanone your snakeboots and pants   :thumbsup:
Y'all can probably finance your trip by selling snakeskins, if, I mean when you get back  :rolleyes:
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2006, 11:16:00 PM »
Glad you mentioned that about the Snake Boots - never thought about Permanone on them when I did my Bug Tamer suit the other day. Better do it now.

(Did it!)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2006, 01:16:00 AM »
Don't forget your flashlight Bernie.  :D

I plan on being down there Tuesday and look for the skeeters to be the main issue to overcome.

see ya then.  :)
ncboman

Have Bow >>>-------> Will Travel

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2006, 06:47:00 AM »
Got the light, ncb, (but also have my Coleman lantern - just in case - LOL). Ran into a little trouble yesterday with getting my canoe set in the truck - along with all the other "stuff" but thinkl I have it about right now and will finish packing this AM (Mon.). Hope to take off by noon or early afternoon. See you there, if all goes well - now were is that map?   :confused:    ;)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2006, 08:28:00 AM »
Got back last night. Sorry to say no harvest for our group, although some are staying til coming weekend. Lots of work, lots of fun, "good fellows, well met", plenty of deer seen (mostly too far), Some knapping yarns and materials exchanged, snuck in some shooting and comparing of bows 'n arras, a No-shoulders or two tried to join the party, got some pics to post later. Had a great time and am glad to be back -   :wavey:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2006, 09:14:00 AM »
Here is a shot of the typical "roads" that interlace the PL area. Most now closed to vehicular traffic, due to abuse (thank you very much, those who cannot be good stewards of the lands provided to us) so one has to walk, bike, or canoe the canals. There are some grassy roads that run between the dirt roads that are pretty good places also. (I see they changed some things on Photo Bucket while I was gone too and some pics may wind up just a tad big or too durn small    :rolleyes:   )

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2006, 09:24:00 AM »
AND - Here is the guy who has been "talking" to us, Tim Mooring, "Stonemedic". He looks like a short tank when he walks up to shake your hand and my imediate thought was, "Ah-ha, great deer hauling buddy" - LOL I had the distinct feeling very quickly that if you were hurt he would be a very beautiful sight and calming presence either in his profession as a EMT or out on a hunt. More later.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2006, 10:29:00 AM »
This was the main crew I went to join   Tim's son Justin, Tim, and Roger, a good friend and member of their church (otherwise known as "Serpent Slayer")That Radisson canoe in the rear is mine BTW:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2006, 12:59:00 AM »
I set out to post a story about one of our hunt sequences here this AM but after struggling almost to compleation (with my hunt and peck, two finger typing) I inadvertently hit a wrong key and wiped out my whole story   :eek:  . I just didn't have the heart (or time) right then to do it all over again   :saywhat:    :D

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2006, 08:11:00 AM »
Well, the story is about Roger and why I referred to him as the "Serpent Slayer", which is the name Tim dubbed him with, (with pics) but I'm busy this AM (not trying to drag it out, honest).

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2006, 05:11:00 PM »
OK, here's the "skinny": Roger ("Serpent Slayer")just recently switched to tradional bow gear, with the significant help of Tim (Stonemedic). Roger is a heck of a nice guy but was openly keyed up to take something (anything) with his trad bow, to justify Tim's help and his own learning efforts. We were all on our way out for an evening sit. Tim and son, Justin were traversing one road, while Roger and I trudged another, parallel one. Both teams were to head out for a grassy crossing  between the two roads and then spread themselves out along that road, towards its middle, where we had seen deer coming out to feed on the grasses. Before leaving my truck, Roger stepped to the weed overgrown edge of the road, to attend to one of those personal matters. He encountered a small snake that appeared to be of the Copperhead persuasion. He quickly backed to the truck and grabbing his machette, dispatched the youngster, with one, well-placed side-blade whack. We then proceeded out the dirt road. I was soon engaged in spinning one of my infrequent     :saywhat:      tales, while Roger was busy injecting appropriate remarks of appreciation. Suddenly I interupted my story by croaking out, "Look at the size of that snake crossing the road there, and that's just his tail end!" Roger was imediatly going full-tilt toward the retreating snake, with nocked arrow, and bow at the ready. I cautioned my new friend (and hero), "You be careful, Rog - I can't haul you out of here, you know." I quickly added, "Especially not in time!"

Roger's first arrow just skinned the back of the large, rattle adorned snake - obviously slicing the flesh. We latter discerned it had clipped the backbone as well. The bearded hunter quickly, swiftly, and delftly nocked and launched another broadhead, from about five yards. The equally well aimed second shaft pinned the arm-sized body to the ground. The snake writhed and gave us some nasty looks at his head before burying it in the roadside weeds. Then (and only then), I located a nice, whippy sapling and proceeded to belabor the area where the snakes head and neck seemed to be, with strokes meant to break any lesser snake's neck. I was not at all sure it was working on this particular no-shouldered fellow but Roger wanted his first arrow back, for later (hopefull) use. Niether of us were too anxious to reach for it though. Knowing we needed to continue to our appointed place for the evening sit, I finally summoned enough courage     :eek:     to reach out and snatch the arrow in question away from the snake's resting place. It was about then that the great serpent appeared to roll over on it's back, as best it could while still pinned by the second arrow, and ceased all movement. After tossing some weeds on the upright arrow to cover it, Roger marked the roadway with copious heel-drag hyroglyphics, to be later decoded only by a "Serpent Slayer" of this intrepid archer,s newly acquirred stature. We then proceeded to our assigned posts, along with much reliving of our exciting yet satisfying encounter. On the way out, after a non-effective evening vigil, Roger retrieved his well earned trophy, sporting ten rattles and a button, thank you. He remarked a couple of times that the snake was heavy. I agreed solicitously that it indeed must be, and that I would love to offer to carry it part way for him - but that I was not going to!     "[dntthnk]"        "[laffsmyl]"  Oh, Roger doesn't like snakes either   :p  .

Pics taken next AM:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2006, 08:15:00 PM »
The place we stayed at - located between the shore of Lake Phelps and the Pocosin lakes refuge - is Conman's Hunting Guide Service and Vacation Cabins and they have their own web site. The campground is the pretty, well-kept area you see around our tents. Below is a pic of Mike Conman, the friendly, affable co-operator (with his wife connie) in the little Office/Sundries Store, etc., in front of their very important computer. They provide not only camp sites for folks like us but also reasonable guide service on leased lands the other side of the refuge. They do deer, Bear, Turkey (I think), as well as Fishing, Waterfowl among other things. They've been doing this for thirteen years, I think mike said. This year just before I got there, Mike took his first "Book" bow buck. Laughing, he told us it represents 36 years of hard work - couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Tim hung Roger's Canebrake  Rattler on the horns for effect and comparrison.

Rog and Tim doing what we did a lot of - eating:

And Justin doing the same (he's gonna hate me for this one - LOL):

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2006, 06:36:00 AM »
Well, don't feel bad, Justin, I don't look my best when i'm stuffing my face either. Crackers and cheese cubes between hunts:

My "Home away from Home"

and that of Tim, Roger, and Justin (also were I spent a lot of time eating Tim's "Hobo", a great concoction one-package meal he does in tinfoil. Includes meat, taters, n' veggies + spices.

The "Dinning Facility":

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2006, 09:06:00 AM »
Great pics Bernie.

That Justin's going to be a giant one day the way he can put the food away. We killed several pounds of jumbo shrimp and some tenderloin during my little visit.

I'm glad you posted the story about the snake. I didn't know Roger got the bowkill on him.
ncboman

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2006, 09:13:00 AM »
Here is a nice Caribou Antler given to me by Tim that may someday make a suitable display for a hand knapped knife I will make (I hope) and a couple nice little antlers I got from another hunter's Deer that could make very good looking handles for those possible knives -   :p  

Also some small slab knapping materials I got from Tim, plus a piece of Soapstone for carving by grinding/filing :

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2006, 10:31:00 AM »
I beieve you might be right about Justin, Allen (ncbowman) - and look at his Dad!   ;)  

Glad you enjoyed the story about Roger and his Snake. Sorry I didn't get to talk to you more up there. Perhaps we'll get together again one day either knapping or hunting.

On that same evening hunt, Roger was both blessed and worried to see a Bear come out behind me, down the grassy roadway from where he was on stand. I had heard a grunt (not a "woof", thankfully) and said to myself that it was a buck  - or a Bear - so I turned my head slowly but never got it far enough to see the Bear. It sounded like it came from over closer to the Canal to me so I finally decided it was a Bullfrog, greeting the approaching evening. I was a little surprised when Roger joined me, shortly thereafter, and said, with what struck me as wide eyes, "You had some company, didn't you?" Being the quick study that I am    "[dntthnk]"  , my reply was, "Whut???" After he explained about the bear coming out and then standing up on it's hind legs to stare at either me or him, up the way, I told him I had heard but hadn't seen. He also had heard, and saw me turn my head. He thought I was just playing it cool. Right!   :eek:   Anyway, whicever of us the Bear was scanning, apparently didn't pass the Pure Foods Inspection ("Thank you, Lord"), as he dropped back down and ghosted into the tall weeds beside me. Might be why Roger and I didn't see any Deer that evening.

All four of us had at least one close encounter of the Deer kind during my time there though. The Father and Son Team both got a shot but were blessed with clean misses - as opposed to wounding hits. Roger got to half draw and then his close sighting doe was gone, and I never got my bow off my lap on mine. That was an eleven yard Doe that came out of the woods staring straight at something she couldn't figure out but knew did not belong in her world, namely me in the sitting position under a bush. She played head-bob twice , foot-stomp once, then made a very low snort as she turned and ran out of range faster than I could respond. Tim, watching from some distance down the road, on that occasion, thought when she turned and ran, that I had shot and perhaps hit, Huh-uh!    "[tunglaff]"

Stonmedic, Tim should be back at work today and maybe he will get the chance to come on with some news of more interest.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2006, 11:23:00 PM »
Tim gave me a couple of slabs to play with too. He also gave me a really nice antler and copper flaker. I can feel the energy in this one. What a guy, never even seen me before and he hooks me up really nice.    :)  

Roger gave me some excellent advice on preforms also. Did you see all the blades he has?    :eek:  

Here's a few pics I took;

Pocosin habitat
snake and skeeter heaven

one of the pigs I saw.

the overgrown closed roads provide probably the best hunts.

Conman's Store

:)
ncboman

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©