3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: stalking quiver  (Read 291 times)

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
stalking quiver
« on: July 25, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
Much of my muley hunting is done in the Permian basin area of New Mexico. It is a desert area of sand dunes, scrub oak, mesquite, and thorny plants too numerous to mention. Stand hunting is not possible, so the method is spot and stalk. The last 150-440 yards is usually crawing. Has anyone used a quiver more convenient than the ace-in-the-hole type one-arrow bow quiver for stalking?
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: stalking quiver
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
Safari-Tuff Arrowmaster should suit your needs very well.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
I hunt in cane brakes, thick privet and youpon, and lots of pin oaks, I use a 4 arrow Mantis quiver.  For hog hunting, I plan to get the 6 arrow quiver.  When I get down to crawl under something, I rotate it under my body, normally it stays horizontal, under my right arm.  I carry it points first.  Bill

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
Last year I worked with Art Vincent, the leathersmith who makes the Mantis quiver, on a modified version of the six arrow side stalker that he's calling the "Powderhorn Wilderness Stalker" quiver . . .  named after the remote area in Colorado where I field tested the new design while elk hunting. The "Powderhorn" has some unique features, including a deeper and wider broadhead cowl for accepting longer 3:1 ratio heads, a rawhide reinforcement on the cowl, a Swiss broadhead file w/sheath, additional brass D-rings for attachment customizing, and a longer shoulder strap.  There are other changes but those are the major ones.  I've used it in a tree, blind, mountains, as well as the Texas brush country.  Traditional guys really like it.  We've even got a compound hunter using one in Mississippi, Mossy Oak's "Cuz" Strickland:^)  Here is a picture of his quiver and one of me testing mine in Colorado last Sept.  

(Hit F5 on your keyboard to refresh your page if the pics fail to load.)

Gary Logsdon

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
Ditto on the ARROWMASTER....

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies and advice. I really like the looks of the Mantis 4 arrow model. The Arrowmaster looks like it would protect the arrows better, though. The last side quiver I used swung quite a bit when I was walking to/from camp...but I probably had it adjusted too low. Just like bows...so many quivers, so little time! This working for a living sure gets in the way of playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline recurvecody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
work hard and hunt harder!
pick a spot stupid!

Offline Gula

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
Work little hunt much
Gula

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »
This is the 6 arrow Mantis. The 4 arrow is handy and usually holds all the arrows you'll need.

http://shrewbows.com/shrew_mantis.htm

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
I'm really a fan of my Art Vincent "Powderhorn Stalker" too.
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline panhandleokie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 09:46:00 PM »
Andy why are you going all the way to SE NM to hunt mules like that when you can do it in OK? I was brought up around Roswell and then moved to OK as a kid. I spot and stalk all the time here in the panhandle and the tag is alot cheaper.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 10:08:00 PM »
Side stalkder chief.   I liked Arts idea when it first came out however I believe its too bulky imho for that much on your belly work.

Honestly the BEST quiver for this is a great northern either thier side quiver, or rig a longbow quiver with 550 cord and wear it as a side quiver.  I take it off and crawl with it.  it weighs virtually nothing compared to anything else.   If you want a deeper hood you could use an old clip on plastic quiver. (think older bear quiver compound quiver here).   Drill a hole in the hood for the 550 cord, and either tie on before the clip side or drill again.  

Super light systems and they're cheap!  most of us have them already and if not they're easily and cheaply found and extremely effective!  I'm not a gotta have it gadget guy but I do have a bunch of quivers.  Always looking for the perfect one, I've settled on the cheif and the GN longbow quiver with a hunk of 550 cord, I've used it like that for years before GN came out with the side stalker style...I'm just too cheap to buy it LOL.  

find a small 3 arrow clip on style quiver and rig it the same way if you dont want 5 or 6 arrows.  I will say it is extremely hard to beat a single arrow style on your bow arrow holder for finishing a belly stalk.  I just prefer to have a couple arrows in case..no...WHEN...I miss    :smileystooges:

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 12:13:00 AM »
Ron that is one nice quiver!
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 08:04:00 AM »
For stalking, I really like my Absorkee quiver by Farr West Leather. Havent done much crawling with it though
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »
How about a Catquiver?  I don't hunt that way, so have no such experience, but I thought the CQ's were designed with crawling and stalking in mind.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
I've hunted the Jal area for three years, I finally gave up. Several times with in 40 yards but when I started to crawl the sand burrs were the the killer.  I used a bow quiver and worked well but the last crawl with the grass burrs was, a killer. If I go back it will be with a bow quiver , gloves,and some kind of leather apron . Good luck.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »
I like the looks of the Powderhorn quiver, has anyone else used this quiver?  If yes, details please, thanks.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
The Absorkee Quiver, is one of the. most versatile quivers on the market. It's ability to be put on or taken off quickly, adds to the many ways it can be used. For a ready made handle, simply slip the quiver off, and use the Caddy Bracket for a handle to hold the quiver while crawling through the brush.

With three models to choose from;
The Short Trail-4 arrows
Absorkee Quiver-5 arrows
and
The Emigrant-6 arrows
There is one that will fit most hunting styles and needs!
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline el chupa nibre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
I'm liking my quiver caddy from Tim @ Farr West Leather. Rides low enough to clear my backpack hip belt but allows for easy removal of arrows from the quiver. Rides very comfortably on the hip to the point that I can almost forget it's even there until I need to use it.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 07:22:00 AM »
I too use the GN side quiver (five arrows) for nearly all my hunting.  I replaced the leather strap with 550 paracord because it is so easy to shorten/lengthen at will.  Very light but very ridged.  Easy to slide in front of you as you crawl plus easy to hang from tree when in a stand.

You can make up a GN side quiver from one of their strap on quivers...but I find they tend to hang up if you're pushing them in front on the crawl...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©