3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Riser Glue Up?  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
Riser Glue Up?
« on: May 12, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »
I'll be building my first laminated longbow in a couple weeks at the Minnesota Bow Building weekend and had a question about riser construction.
I hope to lay out the riser with some simple arches beforehand to save some time. Question is should I glue the riser up in advance or do you glue it up at the same time you glue up the limb lams? I do not have a heat box at home for curing the riser yet either.

Offline Bowchef

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Riser Glue Up?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »
glue it up now
Doug

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
Any issues with using Smooth On to glue up the riser now and let it cure at room temp for a couple of weeks and then putting it in a hotbox when the Limbs are glued up? Or should I use a different type of Epoxy to glue up the riser now? I read in one of the build alongs someone using West System Epoxy to glue up a riser.
Thanks

Offline shaft slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
smooth-on will work just fine i have done a lot of bows that way, some people thank that a heat box makes the glue stronger, but the people at sooth-on says that the only thing heat will do is cure the glue quicker not stronger.  have fun

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »
Thanks. I guess my main concern was letting the riser cure in advance and then putting it all in a hotbox later to cure the limbs.

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
If you glue it up in advance, I wouldn't put it in the hot box later after it's cured.  May cause problems.  I believe hot box is only for initial curing.
Dan

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
OK, now I'm confused!! Is there anything I can use to glue the riser up in advance and then throw in the hot box later when the limbs are added?

Offline Ric Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
You can glue up the riser now using smooth-on and your heat box and glue up the limbs later on using your heat box to cure that smooth on application as well.  You won't have any problems.

Offline Brandon Stahl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »

Offline Many Arrows Lost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
Here's what you do.  Glue up the riser using smooth on and while it is clamped together throw it in the oven at 170 degrees for 1 hour.  Let it cool.  It is now cured and ready to cut out and put in a bow.  It will not come apart in the heat box.

Ken
Athens, Illinois

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
Thanks for the input. As I won't have access to a heatbox until the bow building weekend I will have to try the Urac to put the riser together beforehand

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »
Can't comment on urac, I have never used it. But I bet Brandon from Rose Oak Bows knows what he is talking about, from looking at those beautiful bows.
But if you want to use smooth-on, KTinAK has a good idea. The smooth-on is good glue.  
From what I understand, the smooth-on will cure at room temp.  I was under the impression that it has stronger bond with heat, but I can be wrong.
Once smooth-on (epoxy) is cured, it's cured.  Putting in a hot box will not do anything positive for it.
For the riser, it's short.  It will fit, so use your oven, put on low temp like 170 or so.  If in doubt, use a meat thermometer.
Then, you won't have any doubts.
Dan
ps-line the bottom of your oven with tin foil

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »
Awww, where's the fun with making the first bow with a solid riser;) I knwo that is what I should probably do, but I never seem to do things the easy way. Will practice on some scrap pieces first and see what I come up with.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 12:18:00 AM »
Like Shaftslinger says,
Go ahead and glue it up now, nothing to worry about when you put it in the hot box later.
Have fun take your time and you will be fine.
Regards, Bert.  :thumbsup:

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 12:20:00 AM »
Like Shaftslinger says,
Go ahead and glue it up now, nothing to worry about when you put it in the hot box later.
Have fun take your time and you will be fine.
Regards, Bert.  :thumbsup:

Offline Ric Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 10:14:00 AM »
As several have mentioned, a heat box isn't necessary to set up Smooth On, it just speeds up the process.  Also, it really isn't affected by reheating as many of us used to believe.  Several years ago I talked to the experts at Smooth On and they assured me of these facts.  Nothing has happened over the years and numerous bows later, to prove them wrong.

I used to use Urac and/or Recorcinal, both of which are excellent glues for wood to wood applications, but finally decided after alot of research that it made more sense to just keep one glue, Smooth On, in the shop for bow glue-ups. There definately isn't anything wrong about using the other glues, but for me its just easier to only have to deal with one glue for the bowbuilding process.

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »
Gonna piggie back here, a bit...Most recommend smooth-on and 6 hrs at at least 160...what is it without a hot box?

thx

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
24Hrs. without hotbox, is what they recommend.

Offline shaft slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »
if my memory serves me correct smooth-on says 36hrs. i could be wrong, when i glue with out a heat box this is what i do, works so far

Offline shaft slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
dan didn,t see your post, i stand corrected    thanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©