3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: good backstop  (Read 353 times)

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
good backstop
« on: July 26, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
Im wanting to try hanging a carpet behind my 3d target to keep my bad shots from getting lost in the woods anyone have any luck with hanging a carpet as a backstop?

thanks
Ian
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: good backstop
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
I've been looking into the same thing lately. The threads I have found seem to suggest you need 3 to 4 layers of carpet, and make sure they hang, don't attach both ends if you know what I mean.
Also, it seems the horse stall mats are real popular and work real well.

Do a search on this site for backstops you should find 4-5 good threads on it.

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
I cut 4 pieces of carpet 5ft x 6ft and srewed them to a frame i made of landscape timbers and treated 2 x6.
It stops my arrows pretty well but the points are sticking out the other side. i will probably put up one more piece of carpet for insurance.

I use 2 2x6's five foot long and screw them to the top of the landscape timbers, one on either side. Then did post holes and set up frame.

CKR
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »
Industrial felt works great. The stuff I had was 1/4" thick.It was used for a conveyor system. Most companies just throw that stuff out.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
I used 3/8" rubber belting aquired from local scrap yard 2yrs. ago. They were replacing conveyor belts and gave it to me. Never a shot pass thru.  :archer:

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
I use canvas tarp.  I have a 6' chain link fence and I bought a tarp that was 12' long.  Draped it over the fence so I have two layers and it worked like a charm.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
Carpet draped over 2 bails of hay.  Hay makes a good bh target with carpet removed if you only shoot 2 blade heads like Magnus II or Zwickeys.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
Carpets tend to retain water and mildew depending on the location.  

I read this one a while back -- I am using a 4' x 6' horse stall pad (heavy rubberized material) framed in by using 2 landscape timbers sunk in the ground and a cheap decking board across the top.  I called the local saddle shop and they put me in touch with the Equestrian Center.  Can't beat the price for just having to pick it up.    

I haven't tried, but I don't think a broadhead will make it all the way through.  Works Great!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
I used an old metal swing set and draped the carpet over the top rail. It dries out nice and having the two separated layers stops any shafts. Of course I never miss so haven't punched any holes in it yet
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Some friends have a flooring shop and I do some "dumpster diving" there. Found a few pieces of really heavy jute carpet. Folded over once and lag screwed top and bottom to a 2x4 frame. Sewed one end shut and stuffed it with shrink wrap and then sewed the other end shut. Big old pillow type of thing. I don't miss either, so I don't know if it works or not....
OK, works pretty well, actually.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
Carpet works good until it gets soaked and the humidity down here cause mildew and rot.

My dad is using a rubber horse stall mat and it is working great...by far the best backstop material I have seen besides sand/dirt.

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
The two Surtees have a good point about the carpet getting wet and rotting.  I only used it cause it was free, leftover from carpeting my house.  Once it rots and disenegrates, I will probably try either the horse mats or an anti fatigue mat, same thing pretty much, but the horse mats seem to be more expensive.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
my arrows go right through the 2 layers of qualily carpet. I am going to look into the horse mats

Offline Ron+dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
my father is an over the road truck driver so i usexd a couple of his old mud flaps they are flexable rubber and can be got for about 5 bucks a piece or so from a truck shop (used) they may even give them to you new is a different story
>>>--------> <--------<<<
" the happiness that is found sleeping under tents is unbelievable. one night in tents is worth three in town" -bruce chatwin in far journeys

Offline Craig Schoneberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
The 'horse mats' from Tractor Supply work great -I think the mats run just under $35.00. I put one up a couple months ago and it looks like it's going to last for several years.
Craig
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member
Nebraska Bowhunters Association Life Member
Nebraska Traditional Archers Life Member
Traditional Archers of Nevada Founding Member
Colorado Traditional Archers Society

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
I meant to include pic.

Offline bosteldr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
I have also used mud flaps.  I usually find them along the road while jogging.  They last several yrs. backing up my straw bales.

Dave B

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
Here is a picture of a backstop I made with conveyer  belt I got from a local rock quarry.

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
I ran out of the belting so here is a picture of one made of carpet.

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
I use it as a backstop, but also use it for blind bale practice. The conveyer belting is to hard to just shoot into.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©