3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: EZ Tick Removal  (Read 508 times)

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
EZ Tick Removal
« on: July 26, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. This is great, because it works in those places where it's some times difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.  This technique has worked every time I've used it.

Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way. I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this method and immediately called me back to say,  "It worked!"

At my cabin in SW Missouri, the seed ticks are pretty thick in early Spring during turkey season, so I have found that this works well.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: EZ Tick Removal
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
I've used vasoline in the same maner and works great,some one told me that they breath thru there back ends and if you do the vasoline or soap method they back out on their own cause they can't breath!  what ever the reason it works great!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
Good tip.  Thanks.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Ratatat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
i've use a red hot nail in the past to back them out.  Guess they can't stand the heat.  The soap sounds like a much safer/better method.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
I read that in an NC state magazine once - then keep forgetting it when it's time to use it (and it often is here). Got to remember it from now on - maybe this will help.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
barry...makes sense as the tick needs air while draining your blood.i'll try it out if i ever get one.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline marsniper27

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
i have heard of using olive oil same principle as the soap they can't breath and have to come out.

Offline DaxE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Hmm I will have to try this. I have always just pulled them out with my fingers.

Offline Shooty1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »

Offline Andy Lupher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
tobasco sauce kills them

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
Ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes...things I don't miss about the South. But to be fair, we have Tiger Mosquitoes here in Arizona the size of a B-17 Flying Fortress. And they carry West Nile.
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
Thanks shooty1 now I'm not sure who or what to believe. I thought the original post was "original", and I had always heard to use tweezers near the head/mouth of the tick.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
I was told that burning them out with a nail or pin is not good either- they may just spit out their juices which can spread disease.  FYI

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 04:16:00 AM »
Yeah, the last thing I want to happen is for the little bloodsucker to barf under my skin before he comes out. I just don't even want to go there!

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 05:13:00 AM »
Nothing is easy. I heard the "burn at the butt" method is good, but CAREFULLY. Vaseline was next but a recent note up this way says NO vaseline - may cause them (deer ticks here) to barf into the wound. Recommended is the tweezers. Just don't break off their pincers in the wound....
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »
That's a NO NO.  The link Shooty1 posted explains why very nicely.  For more info visit the CDC website (www.cdc.gov)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
If I kept every tick in a mason jar with a time and date like the snopes like suggested my house would look like a cannery.  I live on a farm.  I hunt and fish.  Some things are just a little unpractical for me that just might work well for the city dweller or people in regions where these critters are rare.  :dunno:
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
Oh well, back to the old ways. I pull the little suckers out (after sneakin' up on them - LOL), douse the spot with peroxide, then alchohol, and then cover it with New Skin or clear fingernail polish. Both of those keep the itch down (some)and seal the "wound". So far, so good. At least it keeps me from unconsciously scratching.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »
I just cut off the affected limb and re-grow it.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
What's the big deal?  Pick them off.  No magic necessary.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©