3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advice on a bow for my wife  (Read 633 times)

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Advice on a bow for my wife
« on: May 12, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
My wife said she is interested in shooting with me and the boys.  :bigsmyl:    (No this not a Mother's Day present--already took care of that LOL).  She draws about 24 inches and probably needs a draw weight around 22 to 26 lbs at that length.  Any suggestions on what would make a good starter bow for her?  I'm torn between an inexpensive Buckeye, Aim etc or a Checkmate falcon, Quinn comet or Rhino  M-54. Anybody had some or all of these bows?  Best for the money? What would you do?  

Thanks folks
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice on a bow for my wife
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
The Martin Rebel is a great starter bow for that draw and weight requirement. That is what my wife has and she really likes hers....Terry

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »
I started my wife off with an inexpensive recurve in the 40# range.  She draws 26" and quickly found it to be a little on the light side.  The problem my wife has is that she is left eye dominant and right handed so we're torn on having her a right handed or left handed bow built.  The best advice is to find someone nearby that has a bow in her size range and let her try it out before you put money into something that may be the wrong size for her.

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  Anybody else?
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
Chek-Mate Falcon Special...

The one I bought my wife had a really beefy grip, so I took it down a bit and re-sprayed...

Hers is 40@28", and I would suggest starting something much lighter...maybe 35 at 28" or so...and that would bring her down quite a bit if she's only pulling 24".

My wife's will spit an arrow out pretty well, and she likes it!  It's also higher quality, and prettier, than the others mentioned...

They are also in stock at gitrdone archery, which is a sponsor here if you pull down the sponsor links above, or I would contact Chad at recurves.com to see if he has any in stock, as he is awesome to deal with, and will supply it with a killer string to boot!!

Take Care,
Marc
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »
The Quinn or the Rhino would be inexpensive ways to get her feet wet and both are good quality bows. The Quinn would allow you to change to heavier limbs as she got stronger so may be the better choice if you think she will be in for the long haul and the Quinns are great shooters, one of the best deals available.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
Thanks Marc

If I decide to turn loose that much money I will probably get a falcon.  I have my eye on a OMP Adventure Recurve at Bowhunters superstore.  It's only about $100.00 and is 62"  29lbs @ 28.

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
Vermonster,  having just now looked at the Quinn homepage,it looks like your right.  I can get a nice American made recurve for about $50.00 more and a 2 year warranty to boot. Can't beat that.

Thanks

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
They are real good folks too which never hurts.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline jon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »
Started my wife off with a Martin 200 40@28". She draws 25-26". After she shot for a while, I saw a used set of Palmer limbs on the web. Same weight. I put them on a backup riser I had and she loved them. Her groups fell by 50%. Not pitching Palmer, I just think that there is that much difference between a factory bow and a custom.

Jon

Offline just a bit outside

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
I'd be careful getting her a bow as big as 62 inches!! How tall is she? I'm only 5'5" and that size can be a little large. And if she is only drawing 24 inches, a bow that is 29@28 is going to be way to light for her and you might make her feel a little like a kid. That means she is only going to be drawing something like 17lbs. That is way to like. If I was you and you are looking for something really smooth to draw, isn't too cumbersome, has a decently small grip, and has enough of a draw to still sling an arrow, I'd go with a longbow... maybe a Martin like a Savannah or a Rebel. They might be a little bit more money but you pay for what you get. And women like the asthetic factor and those bows have that. I'd stick to something in the 54-58" range for length and maybe drawing something like 40@28. It will last her a long time and if she doesn't like it, you can resell it at pretty much what you paid for it if you keep it in good condition.

Just my thoughts and good luck. It is pretty cool when people you want to do stuff with want to do the things you love.

Greg
We should have shotguns for this kind of deal.

Jeff Carter Southern Draw 64" Hybrid LB 43@28/48@28
Zipper SXT Recurve/LB 58" 47@27

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
I am getting my wife set up also.I've been really looking at the Quinn Comet XL. I might get her one 30lbs at 28in which will give her about 25lbs at her draw.One of the worst things any archer can do is get overbowed when learning form.It will cause all kinds of problems that affect accuracy.I am thinking Easton Redlines 900s will be close.Also there is a reason target archers use longer recurves.Different story though if she were going to hunt with it.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
The regular Quinn comet comes in shorter lengths and I can not think of a better bow for a person to learn with.There are hundreds if not thousands that have been in use for years by the JOAD teams so they have proven them selves many times over.It has a smaller grip that most women would find a better fit than many bows. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
James,  Where can I get a comet in a shorter length?  I can only find 60 and 62.  

Thanks

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »
I ment shorter than the Comet xl. I think 60" is as short as they come.That is not a short bow for most women.A smooth longer bow at a weight she will handle will keep here shooting.Don't worry about heavy weights for shooting targets.Get something she can handle easy and buy here good light weight arrows for it.Be warned however.If women get matched gear instead of stuff too heavy for them they sometimes outshoot there hubbies in a pretty short while.  :bigsmyl:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
I am a woman and shoot a 50" Maddog archery longbow 30#@23".  I have owned many other bows(Black Rhino is one of them) and this is by far my fav.  Mike will make it custom for under $150 shipped.  I had trouble with the fit of larger bows.  Plus, I wanted it to be pretty, not black.
Tradstore.com/mta
Katie
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©