3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A dream realized  (Read 465 times)

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
A dream realized
« on: July 26, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
I've entertained fantasies of Western bowhunting for just about as long as I've been bowhunting.
While growing up and cutting my bowhunting teeth on Illinois whitetails I distinctly remember being intimidated by the sheer size of the country.

These fears were eventually forgotten and replaced with an unsatiable yearning to be in the high country. But still the West seemed an out-of-reach pipedream until I attended the Colorado Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society banquet in April of 2009. On the trip I glimpsed my first sighting of the Rockies and the kindling that were my fantasies began to smolder. I had to find a way to see this country with a pack on my back and a bow in my hand. No motorized vehicles, just two feet and a heartbeat.

Three weeks ago I was given the opportunity to see my fantasies to fruition. A business contact offered myself and both of my bosses the opportunity to exclusively hunt his 20,000 acre private ranch. With a young family and too many financial responsibilities I knew I would have to pass. My bosses, however, felt the business owed me a bonus. They offered to pay a little more than half of the cost so that I could tag along. They are no longer my "bosses"; they are my very, very good friends!  

We will be pursuing elk the third week of September. The service of a guide was offered but I chose to decline. Instead, I wanted to hunt alone and learn from the mistakes I am sure to make.

I hope to have several great photos (a hero shot in particular) to share in a few loooonnnnngggg months.

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A dream realized
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
Sounds like a bowhunting dream come true!  Only advice I can give is to get in the best shape possible, then get in even better shape.  I hear the Rockies is a place that can only be experienced to appreciate how difficult the terrain can be.  Best of luck to you and your hunting partners.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
Congratulations Dusty.

I hope you make the most of your hunt.

Good luck.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
I want to work where you work!!!  Funny, I want to hunt Illinois whitetails... LOL
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
Don't that beat all?

Nice bosses.  I'd take that over a cash bonus any day of the year.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Gary Sorensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
Congratulations!  What a great opportunity.  Let us know how it goes.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
Live the dream! Good Hunting!

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
Congratulations and I admire the way you choose to hunt.Whatever you do,keep that camera handy where you can get to it without taking your pack off.You will want to record every moment of this hunt and I promise you,if that camera is in the pack,you will take only 10 % as many pictures.Have fun.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 02:50:00 AM »
Go get em Dusty! You going to use that new V-River bow? Hap

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
Congratulations sir!  As was said above, take lots and lots of pictures!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement; they are very much appreciated.

Originally posted by Hot Hap:
Go get em Dusty! You going to use that new V-River bow? Hap
That's a tough decision. My recent 3D scores reflect that I'm shooting my Thunderstick better than my Vermilion River. They are both coming with me but I don't know which one will get called up.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
Congratulations Dusty!!! Go out there and have fun and bring home some elk meat!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
Exercise!  And then do some more.  Illinois is low, the Rockies in Colorado are high and steep.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
Congrats Dusty ! I got a dream just like yours down deep in my heart too. Never been out West but always wanted to go. Would really love to take my 14 yr old son when he is 18 so we could both experience the Rocky Mtns together. Isn't that what was said in Jeremiah Johnson.... " The Rocky Mtns are the marrow of the World. "

Best of luck and like others said, take lots of pics. I got to start doing a better job of pic taking myself. Why not do half and half with the guide ? Hunt half the time on your own and if it looks like you are going to come home skunked get some help for the last few days ? Got to taste my first elk at Compton this year and man are they tasty, right Whip ? Don't be afraid to shoot a cow, they eat right where you hold them, haha !
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
Your livin the dream bud! Elk and Moose are also on my bucket list. I'm looking forward to following your adventure out west!

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
Good luck Dusty! As said, take lots of pics. Enjoy your moments out here!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
Cool!  Make sure you buy a good compass and bring home stories  :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
To clarify, I'm not opposed to guides whatsoever. In fact, guide school was almost a reality for me. I just seem to only learn well when I'm forced to figure it out for myself. God- and wife-willing I plan to make this a yearly endeavor.

Dusty

Offline RocketDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
By all means keep your camera handy and carry a good compass.  If you get hooked on the mountains, come on WAY out west!
Blessed are the peacemakers

Offline Flt Rck Shtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
Kill a big un', Make the rest of us Flat Rockers jealous !! Can't wait to hear some stories when you return. I'm afraid my hunting season isn't going to be too eventful this year, shoulder surgery this Thursday morning is going to take care of that!!
               Take care
Chinese Proverb: Never remove a fly from a friends forehead with a hatchet...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©