3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Removing epoxied inserts from carbon ?  (Read 452 times)

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
Removing epoxied inserts from carbon ?
« on: July 27, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
Can this be done ?  
Doesn't sound too promising and I can't afford to cut any length from the shafts, but I figured if anybody would know tradgang would know !

Thanks
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Removing epoxied inserts from carbon ?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
What I do is take a screw that is about 3 or 4 inches long that will screw into the insert. After screwing it in take hold of the other end and clamp down with a pair of vice grip pliers. Now hold only the screw in a flame from a propane torch. The idea is to get the insert hot enough from the heat conducted from the screw. It may take a miniute to get it hot enough but keep testing. If it gets to hot some of the carbon may sprial out with the insert. Some people say to put them in boiling water but I have never had any results with this.

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
I've done it a couple of ways.
First, try a drill bit place inside the shaft and swing it like a bat. The kinetic force of the drill bit will sometimes break the epoxy loose.

For the really tough ones I go to HD and buy a 3in brass bolt 8/32. Screw the brass bolt into the insert and heat the other end of the brass. 3in gives you enough distance from the actual shaft and the brass transfers heat quickly. The heat will transfer from the brass to the insert and melt the epoxy. heat a little at a time until you get the feel for how much heat you need. Grab the brass with a pair of pliers and pull the insert. First time I tried this method I messed the first one up with too much heat but the remaining 11 turned out just fine.
A world of opportunities awaits upwind but nothing waits downwind.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
Looks like me and Lowrider do it the same way except I ride a Geezer Glide.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
WhiteOaks what are you calling a Geezer Glide.  My son lives in Savannah. He is a Scuba Instructor down there. He and his wife have lived down there for about 3 years and they love it.

Offline gypsymech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
i have had some luck with putting a field tip in a vice and heating it up with a propane torch, gotta unscrew it a bit to keep it off the shaft, keep constant pulling pressure on while heating. the drill bit method works also, if you used minamal epoxy. hot melt is best to use until you have what your looking for.

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
Geezer Glide is a touring bike. Ultra Glide Classic.

Savannah is a great town. I catch lots of big sharks around dive boats and I just have to wonder.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
Next time I come down to Savannah maybe we can get together and shoot our bows. I wanted to bring mine down and try to find a place to hog hunt while down there.Nothing wrong with an Ultra Glide. My problem is my stride is too short to hold one up. My Lowrider is just right for a short guy. I am a Master Diver and the only sharks I have seen diving where the Nurse Sharks in Cozumel. My Son, brother and I used to go out about 40 miles from Venice Louisiana close to where the Oil Spill is and dive the rigs spearfishing. We did have some in our group that got blown out of the rig with current and some black tips circling them and there catch.  Our boat Captain dove with us and has several State Records including a large Mako with speargun and he explained that for some reason the sharks don't typically like comming into the rig, may have something to do with the metal. At any rate this large Mako came in and he shot it straight thru the top of the head and stoned it dead. He had previously pushed it off three times before shooting it. The guys on the rig picked it up with a crane an put it on his boat for him.

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
Thanks guys ! Didn't think it was going to be possible !   :thumbsup:  

I had epoxied 100gr inserts into one set of arrows, then found that weight tubes worked plenty fine for me.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline Pluck Yew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
Gordy, I heat my carbons in boiled water.. then screw threaded device into insert and pull it out... flame can damage carbon shafts..whiteOaks suggestion sounds good to...

Shawn...  :scared:
Give 'em the bird!

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
I heat them in boiling water and use a chainsaw file inside for the weight. It works better than a drill bit.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Jim's Mom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Anyone tried to remove HIT inserts from Easton Axis shafts with the above methods? I got some Axis shafts that I need to shorten a bit. Gotta get the inserts out first.  Jim

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
Jim,

I have done it by using the drill bit method. I use a heavier piece of metal though. You will have to be patient though as it will take a lot of swinging to get the inserts to move.

Offline Jim's Mom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 01:08:00 AM »
cyred, thanks for the info. I'll give it a try. Jim.

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 02:07:00 AM »
I've done this with axis, mfx, and CEs.
No issues.
I have also found that hot melt holds pretty dang good. Thats all I use now.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 04:45:00 AM »
I had the same problem a little while ago and someone mentioned the drill bit method.  I gave it a whirl and it worked perfectly.  That being said, I did run into some problems when doing it again later after I'd put in my 100 grn brass inserts...  I'd used super glue and it apparently was holding much better than whoever put in the stock ones.  I noticed on a few of them that finally came out, it actually took some of the arrow material from the inside-oops.  I'm thinking if I'd put them in boiling water as some others have said first, might have given just a bit easier?  Good luck

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
Just thought I'd bring this back to the top for another run through. I have some Axis FMJ's that I acquired in a trade that I needed to get the aluminium inserts out of and the drill bit thing worked great. Had to give each one 6-8 good swings, but as far as I can tell, the inserts came out clean without any damage to the shaft.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by WhiteOaks:
I have also found that hot melt holds pretty dang good. Thats all I use now.
X2 X2 X2
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline Dawnpatrol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »
Word of caution about heating carbon shafts. Heating the shaft can compromise the integrity and lead to breakage. Speaking from experience here.

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 05:55:00 AM »
Ive done 100's on the stove being careful to keep direct flame off the shaft and heating a field point. Use small flame and pliers and apply pressure frequently. You might need a small round file to remove excess glue from inside the shaft.
Let it fly ->>------>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©