3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kills funny on TV ??  (Read 1328 times)

Offline 52 bow

• Trad Bowhunter
Kills funny on TV ??
« on: July 27, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
Why do 'hunters' laugh when they put an arrow in an animal on hunting shows??Really eats me up when they break out laughing when they make the shot.What's so funny,am I missing something here.I never thouhgt or had 'funny ' feelings when I took an animals life.Really a bad image to me , we hunters have enough to contend with,then these jokers[pun intended] laugh at taking a life!Any one agree with me or am I getting wierd in my old age? Turkey hunters seem to be the worse.

Offline Drakho

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kills funny on TV ??
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
I totally and fully agree with you !
game (big or small) deserves our respect, specialy when we take their lives.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
I don't watch TV hunting shows, but... I do watch the videos on DVD.  

You get to know some of the participants on videos over years of watching them in varied settings.

I've come to enjoy the Primos team.  There are times when even the most ethical of that group will be in an extremely tense situation and after the shot on some incredible animal, all that tension bursts forth...

I've seen a few almost brought to tears. I have seen others just break down in nervous laughter.

What few shows I've seen on TV years back, haven't made me a fan of them.  But, not having seen the shows you reference, I can't comment if that might be the case for "their" laughter, but I have seen where laughter seemed a "release" for a lot of pent up tension prior to the shot...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
I quit watching the TV goofballs years ago. They just don't get it.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
Hunting shows are the biggest joke on TV. They all give the impression that the kill is the most important part of the hunt. The hunters focus is all on the equipment he uses and how easy it is to be successful. The only respect they give the animal is to the size of the horns it has. The laughing,fist pumping and facial expressions after the killing shot is made is the most deplorable thing on camera. Its sad to say that there are some folks in the world that belive all hunters act this way.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
The reasons they have the reactions they do are quite varied I'm sure.  I'm also uncomfortable to downright disgusted at some of their reactions. My wife, a non-hunter but definitely supportive of hunting (we wouldn't have lasted 32 years and counting if not) thinks many of these reactions are very strange.

Their reasons:
1. I think Doc Nock is right, the tension release for some of these folks causes some to outburst.
2. I think some are so motivated by money kills (kills on video) they are "laughing all the way to the bank".
3. Some probably just have a giddy personality.

I'm trying to recall how I have reacted over the past 45 years of bowhunting. I know I get excited, I'm sure I break out in a huge (stupid looking I'm sure) grin. I'm also grateful to the Creator for having put the animal and I in the same place for those moments.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
The laughing and fist-pumping is a pet peeve of mine. Just add the stupid music, and you've got a really disrespectful and amateur production.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
Whats funny about it is that that yuppy just paid a fortune on the hunt and all that camo to sit in a tripod up in the air in an open field and shoot a deer 150 yards away. Note how the guide starts laughing first,money in the bank!   :goldtooth:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
I think you have to weed out the ones that seem fake in their emotions and find shows that have people on them that are the same person on camera or off.

Most of them are just glorified salesman that are just there to push their mechanical broadheads with nuclear warhead trocar tips, the targets that are 3 times the price of others and only last one season, or whatever new fangled compound that is light years better and faster and better at killing animals than last years model so go out and spend another $900 or you will not be successful this season, or their carbon weave carbon thread biomolecularly bonded thermodynamic clothing that allow you to not shower for a month and stand directly down wind from a deer at 3 feet away and not get winded.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
Couldn't agree with you more.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
I completely agree with you. I also want to puke every time I hear the word awesome.
bolong

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
I am really cool at the approach & thru the shot, but after I am sure I have a good shot I can start to shake & break down a bit. At this point the adrenaline is on so hard I can hardly talk anyway. The feeling is actually a bit hard to describe. No fist pupming just a deep feeling of accomplishment, greatfulness, reflection & satisfaction for all the hard work that has gone into the season. I suppose everyone reacts differently, but many times I feel the reactions on TV are just for the camera. Mike
Big Mike

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
I agree it is in bad taste, and not what hunting is about. (At least not for me). I also have a problem with these hunters that only shoot for bucks and horn size. I beleive it takes just as much hunting skill if not more to take a doe. They dont go through a rut and hormones dont let them make mistakes.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
Not to say I dont appreciate a nice Rack....I DO
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Doc Nock:
I don't watch TV hunting shows, but... I do watch the videos on DVD.  

You get to know some of the participants on videos over years of watching them in varied settings.

I've come to enjoy the Primos team.  There are times when even the most ethical of that group will be in an extremely tense situation and after the shot on some incredible animal, all that tension bursts forth...

I've seen a few almost brought to tears. I have seen others just break down in nervous laughter.

What few shows I've seen on TV years back, haven't made me a fan of them.  But, not having seen the shows you reference, I can't comment if that might be the case for "their" laughter, but I have seen where laughter seemed a "release" for a lot of pent up tension prior to the shot...
Good insight.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
Honestly, I am far more concerned by their claiming they made a great shot when in fact they missed where they were aiming completely or when they take a very low percentage straight down shot with a light arrow and mechanical head...almost guarnteed to have poor penetration and onlty catch one lung.

If the laughter or shouting is their tension release so be it as long as it is " honest"
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
For me it is not about their behavior after the shots, as much as it is about their total lack of integrity.  I have seen multiple shows where they claim a great shot and show a pic of the offside of the animal with a perfect shot.  All this while I watched the arrow hit low, back, etc.... on the far side of the animal at the shot.  I watched a Muzzy video last night and one of the hunters hit a buck in the middle of its spine and instead of finishing it off he just sat there and watched it struggle and slowly die.  Ethics seem to be subsumed by their need to make kills and make money.

Makes me glad I have never bought a Muzzy big game product and confirmed I never will.  I would be ashamed of myself for the kind of behavior that was shown on their video.  The only good part of it was I won the video as a door prize at a 3D shoot and I enjoyed throwing the thing in the trash.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
I hardly if ever watch those shows,not for me. But I'm with those who say they don't find it funny. I shot a bear in 1984 in Katahden, Maine and to this day when I look at the pictures I still feel a little sad, because he was magnificent looking, walking thru his domain, which I still see in my mind as if yesterday. I have shot other game but that bear......

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
Agree with you 100% !!!!! Stopped watching hunting shows years ago,

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
So what started out with a guy with a sideways hat, goofy grin, wiggling eyebrows, and a thumbs up, entertaining us as now evolved into someone else trying to make their own trademark. Kind of like Bear bows, the old company was cool, the new one is crap. But that depends on who is watching or looking. Most of those shows aren't made for us and they frankly give a rats butt about us. But, call/contact the producers and express your concerns. See what they have to say. If you want to see a neat video check out South Cox on the Stalker Recurve website and watch the video on his home page there. I liked it, what do you think? Does it pass the tradgang muster?
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©