3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: In a funk (going for the reset button) STRANGE DISCOVERY  (Read 747 times)

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: In a funk (going for the reset button) STRANGE DISCOVERY
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
I agree with xtreama 312. Ken Beck went over this same issue at the shooting clinic. I used to have a simalar issue until I became aware of my finger placement on the string.

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys.  I went way up on brace and the bow doesn't feel as "clean" there so I went back down to 7 5/8. Much crisper adn smooth there.

I didn't have a chance to shoot yesterday. Today I will put a nock above and below my arrow and see what happens.

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
Shot this AM and made a unexpected discovery. This does not make sense to me.
You guys pretty much convinced me it was my split finger release cuasing the problem.

So first I added a nock under the arrow to eliminate any slippage. No dice. Same problem.

Then I simply shot an arrow three under and presto...perfect! So I'm pumped and keep shooting and I get better and better withthis method. I'm  shooting as good as ever.
So I decide since I'm doing three under I don't need the extra noc onder my arrow.
WRONG!!!
Right back to the extreme kick as bad as ever! So I put the nock back on and shooting good again.?

How in the world is my arrow sliding down the string with a three under hold? I even noticed that my bottom nock point is  sliding down the string after I shoot a few arrows. It's clamped fairly tight, so must be quite a bit of down force going on here.

I'm shooting great and I aint gonna change a thing, but would like to understand what's going on here.

Thanks everyone for the input and helping me along.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
Strange...Wonder if you aren't putting upward pressure on the arrow and pinning the arrow nock against the string nock preventing a clean release. By adding a nock below I wonder if it keeps your fingers from sliding up and pinning the arrow nock...yes a definate swag on my part, but I like mysteries
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
I must add  that I can now bareshaft using three under and a double nock point and very good results.
I have never been able to do anything good with bareshafting till now. Kinda neet to see that it actually works.

Ended up with a 30in 2117, three 4in feathers,150 gr BH.  Nock at 5/8 and braced at 7 5/8.  Total arro weight 550gr.

Three under makes my bow sound louder, but that's ok with me.  :archer:

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
chopx2, what's stranger than that is why can't I shoot split finger since I now have a nock above and below my arrow ?
I should be able to adjust NP to shoot split..correct?  Can't to it for some reason, but like I said ....not changin a thing.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
An extra feather would help straighten out that long arrow with a bh.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
Arras flyz like lazers now  :archer2:

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
no wonder I went through target panic while I was shooting competitively- read this whole thread; and then realize just how many things we can do wrong !

this is the scariest thread I have ever read.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
"Ignorance is bliss"

From Thomas Gray's poem, Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College (1742): "Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise."
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
Didn't mean to scare ya Brian.    :D

Offline RocketDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
If this is the case with all your bows, it must be a hitch in form -- unless you have a major setup problem with every bow.

Your brace height is probably good, and a nock set of around 7 5/8 is probably good.

Unusual string pressure from either your index or ring finger can make an arrow do weird things.  If you have recently started relaxing your ring finger after reaching anchor, that is likely the problem.  Go back to keeping your finger tension steady all the way through the shot.

Riser hand reaction to recoil can move the end of an arrow.  Your reaction might be moving the bowarm up instead of steady or down.

If you have a new glove that is not broken in it can wreak havoc with arrow flight, or a stiffer glove than you were used to.

Review, by book, video or coach, EVERY part of good mechanics from nocking the arrow to hearing the arrow hit the target.  Go through your own form, develop a repeatable sequence for what you should be, and are, doing.  Memorize that sequence so you can do it without thought and refer to it when something isn't working.

I have had moments of similar funk, but never lasted more than a couple days, and I always blame it on age!
Blessed are the peacemakers

Offline RocketDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
Oops!  I missed page 2 before posting.  This is truly a strange thing.  Many folks like 3 under, but it is tough for longer ranges.
Blessed are the peacemakers

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
I went back out and shot a few and everything is great. Even screwed on a 2020, had to drop down to 100gr broadhead, but flew awesome.
I can cant, shoot vertical, snap shoot or hold a few seconds and it's all good.

I really like the 2020, skinny, but heavy walled. I think that's what I'll go with this year.

Life is good.
Again, thanks for the advice everybody.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2010, 12:35:00 AM »
I think you should move your index finger about 1/8" up from the arrow so you are not placing pressure on the nock. Just don't touch the arrow with the index finger. Not too much, just a tad. My dad had the same problem but I just stood behind him and could see the arrow flexing at full draw (it flexed down). This caused the same problem you are experiencing. On the first shot that he moved that finger off of the arrow, perfect from there on...give it a try.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »
I see you fixed the problem, and it is apparently the pressure you are getting on the nock in some way or another. Glad you fixed it, but when you decide to go back to split   ;)  try what I mentioned. Generally 3 under is louder and tougher to tune, ah you have heard it all before.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©