3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: longbow...what to look for?  (Read 552 times)

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
longbow...what to look for?
« on: July 27, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
I've only had one longbow, and it was a 21st Century I had 15+ years ago. Beyond that, I've always shot recurves. But, as I said elsewhere, y'all are a bad influence on me. When I was much younger, the longbows all seemed to be 68+" long and a heavier draw weight was required (I was told) to get the same velocities as a recurve. I don't think that is the case any longer (if it ever was.)

Soooo...what does one look for as desireable attributes in a longbow?
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: longbow...what to look for?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
For me is has to say Big River on it!!!!!!!!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
Go to a trad event if you can and the vendors there will let you shoot some so you can find one you like.  there are so many different things in a long bow that what I may love you may hate or vice versa.  R/D or d-shape, traditional or hybrid, straight longbow grip or locater grip.  Realisticly it's hard to choose any bow without shooting them.  Sorry if I made it worse but I'd hate to see anyone buy A bow that didn't feel right when they were shooting it.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
I'd prefer it to say Lost Creek... Maybe NAT on the side of it or something...  :goldtooth:

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
Ron King's ( Fox Archery) triple crown or royal crown, you can look but you wont find a better shooter.
Make a life, not a living

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
All the bowhunters I've met in these parts shoot the kinds of bows we don't mention. Many of them claim proficiency out to 100 yards. I've seen one Widow at a 3D shoot and everyone else was whispering about it.  :rolleyes:  

I live only an hour from O.L. Adcock, but he's not taking orders. I do, though, have an email in to him. He might have some bows I can shoot.

What characteristics make a good longbow? I realize everyone has their fav bowyer, but I was looking more for thoughts on grip design, limb design, cut past center type things.

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
Dan Toelke will let you shoot his and they are awesome, so is he.  My wife got one of his and it is amazing.  I just picked up a Thunderstick III, so far I love everything about it and I have shot many of the Howard Hill longbows and they deliver as well.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
reflex deflex limbs, cut to center with a locater grip would probably be the easiest to transition to at first.  Some sort of a hybrid type because they are mid way between a recurve and a d-style longbow.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »
...What characteristics make a good longbow? ...[/QB]
Forgiveness.

I have a longer draw so want a bow that only adds 3lbs or less at the end of my draw. I like a 64 inch longbow but some 62 inch I have shot are equal in smoothness but they are fewer-  that special one that comes along out of every several made.
I like a finger indent grip but made my own to get it (the bowyer left the grip unformed).
I prefer mildly R/D bows but that may change with my Ossabaw, a pronounced R/D design by Marty Thompson.
I've shot a lot of different longbows but wonder how many of them shot or felt poorly because they were not tuned to my draw or some other little detail. Come to think of it the best shooting bows almost always were already set up right by the bowyers themselves.

As a way to compare, a bow I can stack the arrows with right away is a good bow for me- I'm not a great shot yet, but know when a bow works well with my form and style. Whether shelf detail or shelf cut or what ever it is I know when a bow has it for me.

A lot of it becomes psychological after that IMO.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 05:52:00 AM »
Anything Hill archery makes looks good
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 07:21:00 AM »
R/D bows vs Hill style is something you must experience for yourself.  I prefer R/D but nobody can tell you which you will prefer.

Whenever I look at a longbow the first place I look is the limb tips.  Mass at the limb tips translates into handshock and I am not a fan of handshock.

Good luck bow hunting.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »
I don't have the experience that a lot on here do, but I will give my two cents. I prefer the r/d bows. I have a d shape also and like it but it doesn't compare to my r/d. I shot a buddies d shape for a little while and the hand shock was bad enough to give me tendonitis in my elbow for several months. That being said, I know you have to shoot with a bent elbow with them according to Byron Ferguson but I keep my straight. Also, I like a locatet grip. Mine has the finger locaters and just fits my hand perfectly. I also would recommend going to a big shoot and trying different ones out. I've shot a lot of them at Denton Hill and some I really liked the looks of, didn't care for how they shot. Good luck
Jim

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by LITTLEBIGMAN:
Ron King's ( Fox Archery) triple crown or royal crown, you can look but you wont find a better shooter.
LITTLEBIGMAN,

I'm in total agreement with you.  I've owned one of each and still have the Triple Crown.  They are both very accurate shooting bows.  I prefer the extra length and smoothness of the Triple Crown.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
In the short time I've been been into the longbow I've observed the wide variety within the classification itself.  Some say if it has a recurve handle it's not a longbow at all because of the drastic difference in hand placement(high vs low).  As a consequence it's hard to focus in on attributes until you've made the decision on which type you may wish to concentrate on. The learning curve  has been long for me but so enjoyable on the type that I chose but knowing those shooting differences in advance makes the process much easier. My guess is when we are initially trying to make our determination many of us haven't gathered enough information to shoot the differing designs properly. Reading first then shooting those different designs with what we've learned would make it a whole lot easier but fun either way.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
Although I agree with Joe, Big River  :thumbsup:  

That is a question you will have to figure out by trial and error.  The good news is, It doesnt have to cost anything other than time, sweat and perhaps a few broken arrows  :rolleyes:  

Good luck with your search
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
I should probably post under the screen name,  Broken Arrows!  I really appreciate all the advice and replies. I'll shoot as many different bows as I can...or maybe buy, try, and sell/trade until I arrive at a good place!  :D

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
I love my Hill bows, but there sure are a lot of really good sticks out there.  Shoot as many different bows as you can. Eventually, one will "grab" you.

Get one that feels good in your hand and draws smoothly. Don't worry so much about draw weight or arrow velocity. Just get one that suits you and that you can shoot accurately.

As soon as you get really comfortable with it, another great bow will "grab" you, then another, and another, and another...
Sam

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
I love how the guy asks for "desirable attributes" in a longbow and gets a volley of brands tossed at him.    :banghead:    

I'll echo the post that made the most sense...go to an event and shoot a lot of them. If you are a taller guy, start with a 66" or 68".

I would find something that has a crowned shelf, is cut to center, and has a shallow locater so you can repeat hand placement easy.

I disagree with the "transition" bow comment. I don't see the point in moving if you are going to shoot a modern-recurve style riser with a deep-locater grip. Kind of like shooting a recurve with straight limbs but I guess it depends on what your definition of a longbow is.

Also, the masses seem to be flocking to the R/D hybrids these days. Don't be afraid to try an actual D-style, straight limbed longbow.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline MSwickard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
Really need to see what floats your boat?  Today, longbow are not all long. Many different designs: D-shape, R/D, Self, 3-piece, 2-piece..........

I have shot them all and they all have their own qualities.  I would first decide on length and what type of hunting you do.  I would keep in in the 60"-68" range.  

You will get less or zero hand shock with the R/D and three piece LB's.

Lots of good bowyers out there so best to test the waters before jumping in.

Mike

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
I plan on testing the waters, but there are precious few trad shooters hereabouts. One generous poster has offered to send me a bow to try out...wow! I declined because I wouldn't want to chance having the usps gorillas...umm...ponies messing it up in transit.

Thanks for all the advice and comments, y'all. I've been surfing a lot and really like the looks of those Super Shrews. Maybe Mudd will send me one to look at!    :D      :saywhat:

If you are a taller guy, start with a 66" or 68".

I would find something that has a crowned shelf, is cut to center, and has a shallow locater so you can repeat hand placement easy.
I'm 6'4" but have never owned a bow longer than 64"...am accustomed to 60".  The crowned shelf is a must--are some longbows made without them? Cut to center makes a more forgiving bow, yes? Or just able to use a wider range of spines?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©