3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: longbow...what to look for?  (Read 553 times)

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: longbow...what to look for?
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by LimbLover:
I love how the guy asks for "desirable attributes" in a longbow and gets a volley of brands tossed at him.      :banghead:      

I'll echo the post that made the most sense...go to an event and shoot a lot of them. If you are a taller guy, start with a 66" or 68".

I would find something that has a crowned shelf, is cut to center, and has a shallow locater so you can repeat hand placement easy.

I disagree with the "transition" bow comment. I don't see the point in moving if you are going to shoot a modern-recurve style riser with a deep-locater grip. Kind of like shooting a recurve with straight limbs but I guess it depends on what your definition of a longbow is.

Also, the masses seem to be flocking to the R/D hybrids these days. Don't be afraid to try an actual D-style, straight limbed longbow.
"kind of like shooting a recurve with straight limbs." That says it all for me. I love all the styles of trad bows (except metal risered) but for me, I'm not shooting a longbow if I'm shooting a hybrid. There is a lot to recommend in hybrids but one of the really desirable qualities that I need to have in a longbow is that it actually BE a longbow-long, "D" shaped, longbow risered-in fact my favorite is not even cut to center because that would disqualify me for many European longbow tournaments! What's wrong with NOT making it easy on yourself and actually learning to shoot a real longbow?! Isn't that part of the FUN?! Longbows are light and with excellent "pointability" for quick shots etc. But the real attraction for me is that "longbow feeling"; that connection to history that you're just not gonna get with a hybrid.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
I've heard the D-shaped bows have a lot of hand shock...but I suspect not all of them do.
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline RKMBrown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
Just a noob but I read a book once :-)

According to this book I read, the best bow hunters of history shoot straight.  Howard explains why in the book, he was very convincing (Hunting the Hard Way, by Howard Hill).

From the book it would seem other bows may be better for target shooting, but when you get out into the woods the straight long bows are what is recommended.  I suppose if you have a feed stand and set up a target for practice then wait for them to line up ...     :archer2:
Cheers, MikeB

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
Andy,
I have to go to Ruidoso on business from 8/19-8/21.  I have a D shaped longbow 68" and 57#@31".  If you wanted to pick it up from me on the 19th and either shoot it for a day in the mountains around Ruidoso or take it home and bring it back to me there on the morning of the 21st you sure could.  I know that's a couple hour drive for you but if you wanted to try one out without buying one blindly or having to worry about shipping it is an option....Shawn

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
There are a bunch of good ones. Shoot as many as you can and go with the one you like the best.
bolong

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
Hello,

I recently wanted to go back to traditional archery for hunting and target shooting. I have a bear re-curve and wanted a R/D bow 62" long. I went to the E.T.A.R. this last weekend and shot different bows until my arms were falling off. I decided on a H&S or a Stewart bow. I got really lucky and ended up with a Stewart T/D bow at the blanket sales they had on Friday (I am a very happy camper). The only thing I gave up on buying a used bow is it's 64" instead of the 62" that I wanted. Shoots great, very smooth, no hand shock, and whats very important is that it feels like it was made for me.   :goldtooth:    

Ken
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
I shoot longbows only and I tried many. By now I own a Cari-Bow Peregrine and that bow ends all discussions. Period. It shoots where you look, wicked fast, no handshock or vibratons and it pulls as sweet as silk. Try to test one and see yourself.
Here is a nice review:  http://www.peteward.com/test.Perigrine.html

And believe me, all that Pete is writing about the Peregrine !s true
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Andy Cooper:
I've heard the D-shaped bows have a lot of hand shock...but I suspect not all of them do.
You can get a mild R/D longbow that forms that continuous "D" when strung and is legal for all the tourneys. I have a Border GL. The "GL" stands for glassless and due to the lighter weight, carbon and angle and string geometry-it's a SHOOTER! To each his own.
NRA Life Member

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Curveman:

Originally posted by Andy Cooper:
You can get a mild R/D longbow that forms that continuous "D" when strung and is legal for all the tourneys. I have a Border GL. The "GL" stands for glassless and due to the lighter weight, carbon and angle and string geometry-it's a SHOOTER! To each his own. [/b]
NRA Life Member

Offline Jason Hansen

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
I would recommend the following...

1. Call local bowyers and see if they have some showroom bows and better yet a range to try them out.

2. Go to a traditional archery expo, or traditional shoot and talk with the bowyers.  Most of the time they allow you to take them to the expo range.

3. Some bowyers have sample bows they are willing to send out for a potential customer to "test".  After you're done, you just send the bow(s) back and a percentage of your money is refunded, or put towards a down payment should you decide to purchase from them.
“That land is a community is the basic concept of ecology, but that land is to be loved and respected is an extension of ethics.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by RKMBrown:

According to this book I read, the best bow hunters of history shoot straight.  Howard explains why in the book, he was very convincing (Hunting the Hard Way, by Howard Hill).

From the book it would seem other bows may be better for target shooting, but when you get out into the woods the straight long bows are what is recommended.  I suppose if you have a feed stand and set up a target for practice then wait for them to line up ...      :archer2:  
By straight longbows do you mean the D-shaped ones...or something else?

Offline RKMBrown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
Yes.  They only take on the D-Shape when strung.  Hill's point was that bows with a bend in them are more sensitive and thus the sensitive nature of the bows tend to make them harder to shoot in hunting situations. Such as when not shooting perfectly perpendicular to the target.  They are faster and thus shoot farther but it is more important to hit the target.  This according to Hill.  There is a chance that he and the other experts were wrong back then :-)
Cheers, MikeB

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by RKMBrown:

From the book it would seem other bows may be better for target shooting, but when you get out into the woods the straight long bows are what is recommended.  I suppose if you have a feed stand and set up a target for practice then wait for them to line up ...        :archer2:    
Longbows are easy to hunt with. In fact, they make you want to move around because they are so light. I had a much harder time hunting with a 62" takedown recurve.

You would be surprised how much they DON'T get in the way. You forget about the added length quick.

Also...I read that book too. Howard was admittedly a longbow shooter from day one and he had a very specific way of shooting. Byron Ferguson covers it more in "Become the Arrow". You have to take the era into consideration as well. People were moving to the recurve then as the newer thing. The trend is coming full circle now - recurves to longbows. It is a different perspective.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
HH did a shooting exhibition at my school when I was in second grade. The most memorable thing was when he split a playing card that was facing him edge-on. I'd thought the impressive thing was when he snuffed out several candles...until he told us the secret was using flu flu's. Still, given that it was over 46 years ago, he must've made quite an impression!

Offline recurvecody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
a good shooter to me!
pick a spot stupid!

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
I've about decided to order a Shrew and concentrate on regaining my form with my recurves during the wait. That way, if I don't like the Shrew when it finally arrives, I can dangle it in front of Mudd   :D  ...umm..I mean, I shouldn't have trouble moving it.  :saywhat:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©