3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Management - One Buck Rule  (Read 1059 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Management - One Buck Rule
« on: July 28, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
While we are killing time waiting for the main seasons to begin, I would like to hear opinions on states that only allow one buck/bull per season (or antler restrictions) on a statewide tag/license for management purposes? Before you begin typing this isn't meant to be a "What is a trophy to you" thread. Let us know the law in your state with your reply. I'm really interested to hear opinions on this rule in improving maturity in bucks in states that have recently adopted it.

Here in Kentucky since we have had this rule, I have seen dramatic improvements in the age structure and increased numbers of bucks.

Do you like it, hate it?

:coffee:      :coffee:      :coffee:
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Management - One Buck Rule
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
Indiana has a one buck rule which started in 2003 I believe.  It seems I have seen more bucks, but it also seems we have a bigger population.

I do know it saved the life of a 2yr old 110" 8 point last year in early archery.(and actually a couple smaller 2yr olds)  Had I been able to kill a 2nd buck I would have taken the shot.

Do I like it?  Not really.  Do I hate it?  Not really.  :)
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
In Indiana we have a one buck rule also. While I think it is good for the gun season, I think it is not for the bow season. I really like the liberal limits in Tennessee's L zone.
I think the deer herd is as good in TN as it is up here north. In fact, the biggest buck I've ever seen was down there. And the herds are growing. I think, the reason is that seperate tags for each deer are sold. If it is regulated like that it encourages very tailored hunting whith likely less time afield for most hunters. I guess a lot more bowhunters would hunt early season, if they could kill an additional buck and would kill a few more does in the process,too, especially if those would not require extra tags.
Personally I don't care much for bucks: the meat is often not as good and the hide is more difficult to tan. So the first legal thing that steps out is usually in trouble.
It is still fun to see and kill a trophy, but my freezer is more important to me than antlers.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
Iowa Kill's them all, even till late Jan. on the extended doe season. I've lived in Iowa for 11 years now and have seen a change in our mature antelered bucks ( for the worse ) Their is still great bucks in iowa but sadly the DNR is not helpng.

doug77

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
We have a one buck rule, if you draw a tag, and antlerless, if you draw the tag. For elk it is spike/cow otc or big bull, if you draw the tag. The deer herd is not the best, but the elk is good to great depending on the unit. Can't wait to see your one buck this year TJ.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
One deer, one elk, period here is Washington.  Unless you draw a second deer permit.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline AZ_Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
Arizona is one buck, but we have bull and cow elk opportunities.  Although, you are only allowed one deer and one elk per year.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
Indiana's statistics show an increased age of bucks since the OBR.  There are too many variables here for a direct attribution but it can't hurt I say.  I like it I guess.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
Missour has a 4 pt rule (4 points on one side) in the Northern 3/4 of the state.  I don't hunt up there, but people have told me it has helped the age structure.  I live in the southern 1/4 where any buck is legal.  We can kill 3 bucks, 2 with bow, and one gun.  In addition the entire state has an unlimited supply of doe tags for archery, and most of the state has an unlimited supply for firearms too.  

I am not a big fan of the 4 pt rule, but I guess I will have to live with it.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
In CT we get 2 antlerless tags and 2 either sex tags for the regular season (mid Sept through end of Dec), then 1 antlerless and 1 either sex for the January season (private land only).

In addition, there are unlimited replacement anterless tags (private land) and one earn-a-buck tag for every 3 either sex tag filled.  Again, that's for private land, but the check stations don't check and I have run across people getting the replacement tags for public land kills    "[dntthnk]"  

Age structure really isn't a concern at this point... just reducing the population.  The one buck rule is another management tool that has advantages over antler restriction IMO.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
In Ohio it is one buck only, no matter how you choose to take it( bow or gun).  It has been that way for as long as I can remember.  I like the idea of only one buck per hunter, per license year.  Plus I get to take which ever buck I so choose.
When I first started deer hunting right around 20 years ago, you could only take one deer per year a buck or a doe.  Our population has exploded, you can now smack several doe's (depending in which zone you hunt) but still only one buck.  We have some really nice deer around, but I worry that the quest for the almighty antlers, might be letting the doe population get out of control.

The doe comment is a little off subject, but I just had to say it.
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
We have a 2 buck rule here in IL...any legal weapon. Meaning 2 with bow, one with bow and one with gun, or 2 with gun. The saving grace for our mature bucks is that counting all 3 seasons (2 shotgun, 1 muzzleloader weekend) an adult buck has only got to be REAL smart or REAL lucky 10 days out of the year.

I like the rule for us but I too hunt in KY and have found it has helped the mature buck numbers big time TJ. I would not have a problem with a one buck rule here in IL.
Mike Davenport

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
I am waiting for the day that Indiana will move the gun season out of November.  If that were to ever happen, Indian will quickly jump to the top of the list as one of the best big buck states in the U.S.  The area has excellent habitat, and much potential.  I just feel it is sad that more states still have not realized the value to both gun and bowhunters by moving the gun season out of November.  Hope it happens some day!

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
Indiana has the one buck rule as many have stated.  Although the age structure is changing slowly to the better and more "teenage" bucks are being allowed to reach maturity due to the one buck rule, I don't believe it is the only reason we have seen the age structure change.  One buck rule doesn't stop people from shooting bucks, its make people think about shooting a buck.  As stated in a previous post it saves some bucks lives, but at the sametime it also gets some killed because people dont want to see whats around the corner so to speak.  I think more two season hunters are letting those 3.5 y/o bucks walk in hopes of something bigger.  We all know that after 3.5 most bucks become very difficult to get close to.  Like mentioned there are too many variable involved.

On that note, Indiana is about to make some very drastic changes to its hunting season structure, which will help lessen the burdening herd and also create an older age class.  However, my fear is that Indiana is bound to be overrun with outfitters here in the next few years.  Very scary stuff.  So do I like it or hate it?  I like hunting big bucks and having more of them helps my chances, but I also HATE outfitters and what they do to the tax paying citizens of this state.  So its really a catch 22.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
PA is a one buck state and always has been, a few years back they implemented antler restrictions. I have seen a noticable difference in the quality of bucks being harvested. Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
Those who know me know I'm extremely biased. However, I LOVE the 1-buck rule and believe in it very strongly.  Whether you like big bucks or not a state going from 0-1 Booner per year to 50+ every year is quite a change since 1992. I killed a nice 8-point last year -- 2.5 year old class not quite PY.  two weeks later, on opening day of rifle season the largest live whitetail I've seen in KY walked by me at 70 yards and the next morning before church he was in my yard at 92 yards. I didn't mind passing him at all.  I'm a bowhunter/biologist (not the other way around to the chagrin of many of my past employers) and realize the benefits of having more naturally aged deer herd where 13% percent of the buck herd is 3.5 years or older.

From time to time bowhunters try to make the case that they should be able to kill an extra buck because they wouldn't kill enough extra bucks to matter on a statewide scale. That is correct. However, the perception of unfairness to rifle hunters would create such a controversy that bowhunters, bowhunting, and one buck rules would be done much harm.  A very popular, KY-resident country singer lobbied the KDFWR very heavily for an extra bow buck tag. He was turned down.

In the east, any bag that allows more than one buck during the season will never achieve the high quality age structure a 1-buck state will achieve.  Indiana for example has always been good place to hunt. I hunt IN every year 2-4 times. Last year I saw three bucks while in tree stands in IN that would exceed 150 PY; 35 yards, 65 yards, and 200+ yards. These were all on the same farm.  

A big reason why IL and OH have such reputations for large antlered deer is their restrictive buck harvest. They do it a different way.  Their seasons are structured in a way that reduces the numbers of days gun hunters are in the woods during the rut (late gun season or weekend-only gun seasons).

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
New York is trying AR in a few areas, the state has such a varied deer population I don't think it can work state wide. Right now you can get 2 bow/muzz.loader tags,one for either sex,one for antlerless,plus you regular tag.You then can apply for deer management permit for a doe,in some areas 2.Where I hunt I average seeing 3-4 deer a year so I guess I feel that's enough tags. Plus I feel feel that if spike or 3 point comes by, It should be my choice to kill it or pass on it, not some guy behind a desk. When I start seeing more deer like I used to, then I will give some thought to antler restrictions. If I can kill a deer, buck or doe, I'm a happy camper.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
I hunt with my recurve and flintlock and like a chance to kill a buck with each. So a 2 buck rule is what I like. I don't like any antler restrictions. I feel like all hunters have a choice in what they want to shoot and that will determine what type herd they have. That way the majority will rule.

Offline the force

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
In wv in some counties you can kill 9 deer if u buy all the tags and in some 11 deer per person with all the tags.Thats all bow,gun,muzzleloader combined
Hoyt Tiburon

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
ONe more note. A few years after passing the 1-buck rule a survey of KY hunters showed the overwhelming majority liked it. Here's the difference for me.  There are places in this country one can hunt and know for almost certainty they have no chance of seeing any buck older than 1.5 years (nice spike, forky, or maybe a 5-6 point).  Then there are places where you know old bucks have been taken, seen, etc.   Whether or not I want to wait for a chance at one of these older (read big-racked) deer or not, knowing it could happen adds tremendously to my hunt.  Maybe a little closer to home. If you use scouting cameras.  You have two cameras out which are 400 yards apart in different areas of the farm.  One has dozens of pictures of does and small bucks. The other has does, small bucks and a bruiser or two.  Which one will you hunt?  I know, wind, time of the year, access, etc. also enter the equation but you know the point I'm trying to make.  

Personally, while some of my fellow biologists would disagree with me, I like to see lots of deer (1-10) every time I hunt. But, the possibility that a 182 could come by adds a touch of excitement to my hunt that you can't imagine until you've been there.  My elderly neighbor killed a gross 182 (net 168) with a rifle the fall I was building my house (2006)-- he killed it about 400 yards from my house. I know he's dead.... but the conditions that produced him are as prevalent as ever.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©