3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk Scouting Trip!  (Read 530 times)

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk Scouting Trip!
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
Thanks Tom!   :)

They say peoples animals look like their owners!

I've been threatening to score a Fred Bear hat and finally found one I like!

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
Looks like your off to a great start. Good luck and thanks for sharing the pics.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
please explain why the one set of clothes.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline jason1040

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
Good luck this year. Congrats on your new llamas.
Todd Frickey Southfork Custom 70# @ 30"

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
Great thread,Ilove you llamas.If i could i would do the same as you.I hate horses,had a lot of problems with them.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
Hey Papa Bear,

I take one set of clothes to reduce weight and bulk.  The baselayer, outer wear combo I have is all I need and it dries super fast.  I waded a creek this weekend that was calf deep (over my boots) and my pants legs were dry in about 30 - 45 minutes.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »
Looks like fun. RH talked you into the llamas ? He really loves them. Good idea to have a way to get the game out  :)      :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
Hi Jeremy,

Great story, thanks for sharing!  What an excellent shakedown/recon trip....smart!  Your llamas are very cool, what gentle looking and neat animal they are.  I know their steps are very silent!  How is that Shrew Scout working out for you?  Will you be using it for elk?  What is developing as an arrow setup for it?  I believe you are holding it in the photo, correct?  I too have gotten rid of my icky polypro in favor of Smartwool and Icebreaker merino wool underwear, it is the way to go for many reasons IMO.  Please provide us with a post trip story as well.  I am confident that with the work you are putting in, you'll be successful with or w/o an elk on the ground!

Best of luck and good hunting!

Kris Herman
Wisconsin

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies!

Brian,

RH didn't talk me into llamas but he was very kind to respond to many of my questions on equipment/training.  I watched his elk posts in the past and knew he'd be a good resource.  I had a bad experience while packing an elk out last year.  My friends horse lost its footing and fell about 80 yards down a steep hill.  Luckily nobody was hurt!  I decided at that point that maybe llamas was the way to go in rough country.

Kris!

That is the Shrew in the picture!  I'm 90% sure it will make the trip.  Right now, I have a tapered spruce and 160gr bhead flying real well.  Still trying to quiet the bow down a little more!

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
Jeremy,

Some guys wrap wool around the string/limb contact area on the Flemish splice, this most definitely will quiet a recurve, but I have never liked the added "bulk" to the string.  Your bow came this way but I removed the wool wrapping, you may want to try this again though.  Cat whiskers on Shrews IMO (and Ron LeClairs) tend to be the best in silencing these bows.  Play a round with the position of them  up and down the string to find the sweet spot.

Let me know how that works for you.  

Regards -

Kris

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
Kris,

RLA loaned me a bowhush and it did help.  I'm going to try some cat whiskers...I haven't tried that yet.  Its pretty quiet but it has a slight "click" to it.  Its possible that I'm being too critical as well!   :)

Later!

Jeremy

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
Jeremy,

Awesome post! You are paying your dues and I would say it will pay you back in September.  

Tom told me about your place down in Benton County. My grandfather lives in Hickory Co and my brother in Webster Co.  Something about those rocky woods I love.

Good luck with the elk.  I want to see the same type of post when you get back from your trip. Love those pictures.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline BSBD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 01:20:00 AM »
Nice post.

I grew up with horses but have never considered them for hunting. Too much work and expense.
They're always looking for a way to hurt themselves.

I've had llama's for about 10 years and retired my 2 males last year. I thought I was done but I'm already looking for another pair.
So much better than horses.

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 04:10:00 AM »
Great post rappstar,

What a great way to get about the rough country.

Saw a guy with Lamas in his camp as I was driving through Buffalo Park (Rabbit ears, Col)last year, looked like a great set up. Wish I'd have stopped for a chat.

Can't wait to see the 'after pics'.
Hunting was hazardous, but at least it guaranteed the freedom of the individual.

There is no doubt that the onset of farming saw the end of leasure for the majority of people, who were destined to toil in the fields.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©