3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Martin Savanah or Bear Montana  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Martin Savanah or Bear Montana
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
Being a normal in stock bow I'd suggest going to a dealer that has both and shoot them side by side.

If you have a little time see how long the wait would be for a MADDOG.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline AZ_Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
Zradix has it right.  For half the price of a Savannah, you could order one of MADDOG's Mutt long bows.  They normally don't have a wait time (according to the website), and are $225.   I would check with him first.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
Shot both, liked both , the Bear can be had cheaper most times. Still have a 50# Montana that I have done some work on to make it fit me better. I'll most likely never get rid of it, it shoots that well!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
I went thru this when trying to by my own first longbow! Wasn't sure which one at first, the Savannah was a real nice looking bow, the Montana a plain jane...... I went and shot them both......... I went with the Montana because of the hand shock, there was none! I personally couldn't see shooting a bow with hand shock for long periods of time, heck, for short periods of time for that matter, there is no need for it! At the time the Martin was selling for around $500 and the Montana I walked out the door with for $240 on sale, a no brainer for me, cheaper, quieter and no hand shock....done deal!

I'l never sell my Montana......
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline browningcobra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
I appreciate the input. I have an opportunity for a used Robertson. ?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
If the Robertson is at a poundage you can handle and a price you can afford it might be the way to go. It will have better resale if you don't like it, just my opinion. Any one of those 3 and a host of others will make for good times afield!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
I have shot all three and the Savannah for me shot best. The Bear shot good and for the price is hard to beat. The Robertson would have to be a heck of a deal. I`ve only owned their Mystical and shot the Purist and while they were decent shooters they were no better than the Savannah at nearly 300 bucks more.RC

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
I've heard lots of praise for the Montana on here and personally I don't see it. I would take any Martin bow over any Bear bow all day long. You can tell the people at Martin care.
Lot different as far as cost too. For the money, you can't go wrong with the Montana. You can get one just about anytime used for 200 bucks.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
I shot my friends montana, it was an experience I will never forget. It had so much handshock it was painful, downright miserable. This was an early model and maybe the new ones are better, but I would go for the savannah.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
the savanna is a much better bow hands down ...ive shot both and theres no comparason in the two .

on another note i here bamma bows is quite the bow and considerably less in cost. very short wait.

:bigsmyl:
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
I think I found a Savannah, used for $250 if you are interested.  A friend of a tradganger I know well is selling it.  If you are interested, PM me and I'll put you in touch.  For that price, you really couldn't go wrong with the Savannah, it really is an awesome bow!
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
I read this thread when I as searching around for info and decided I "needed" a Savannah at 60# for my first longbow. With my mind made up I went and shot a handful of production bows over the last few weeks to be sure I was on the right track. I agree with all the comments about the fit and finish of the Martin bows, and I'm sure their reputation is well deserved. The Savannah is a beautiful bow, and they can really punch out arrows!

But then every time I picked up a Montana it would throw the arrows right where I wanted them. It does feel like you are holding a 2x4, and the arrows are moving slower, but I've decided to get the Montana just because it just feels so natural to me. It turned out my big question was 45# or 50#, not Savannah vs Montana!

I'm not trying to stoke the fires on some Martin vs Bear holy war or anything, I just wanted to encourage people to go shoot the bows they are considering buying. Especially for noobs like me who can get easy access to these production bows at any Bass Pro or Cabelas. After my experience, I don't think I'd buy a bow (new or used) without putting a few arrows through it first!

(Apologies to all if digging up old threads is bad form around here.)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
Whats your draw length, if you shoot a bit over 28" and this is your first bow I would go with the 45#'er. If your a bit under 28" I'd go 50#. Just my opinion. I'm also a Montana fan!!!

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
Thanks Ron, I draw 30" so I was thinking I'd look for a 45# Montana that I could put some arrows through.  Seems like the box stores only go down to 50# on these bows so I might have to go back to 3 Rivers.

The only 45# I've shot so far was a PSE Sequoia, and that is a bow I didn't like at any draw weight I tried. It was easy to hold at full draw, but I wasn't sure if it was the 45# or the 68" that made it so...

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
With a 30" draw 45# would be my choice,that would put you around 51# and that my friend is all the bow you need to get started. If deer sized game is what your after you would never need another bow unless you become like me and like to try all kinds of stuff.....lol!! Whatever you do remember....have fun!!

Offline raideranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
Savannah is one of the best longbows at any price.

Offline popseal

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Romans 8:11 (New Testament)
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2017, 09:37:00 PM »
On Martin's Savannah longbow.   Mine is 45#.  It was noisy with the factory string.   A B50 and fir balls, set at six and three quarters of an inch brace  (after stretching) solved the noise thing in spades.  I'm using 30 inch, 500/3555 GTs, wearing 125 gr. field points.  A personal touch...I used pieces of an old leather work glove to make my own rest and strike plate stuck on with a little glue.  Keeping the factory plate and rest for later?  1/6/17
popseal

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2017, 10:34:00 PM »
the montana lb i had was a lights out shooter smooth quite and flat out deadly they are deff underestimated imho
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2017, 11:19:00 PM »
I have a extra nice Savannah 45# from the Larry Hatfield era. They still had the tapered lams and the picture of the Acadia Tree on the limb back then. It is a smooth quick bow.If you are interested.    Ken

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2017, 11:22:00 PM »
I think you'd be doing great with either one

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©